Few questions for True Image Users

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Peter2150, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hello All

I just downloaded the latest Trial Version of True Image 8 and have a couple of questions.

1. I successfully imaged my drive, and then did an integrity check. Worked
    perfectly. Also I was able to browser the image and open files contained
    in it. Finally I was able to boot to the recovery CD and also check the
    image that way. Worked fine. What would you estimate the probability
    of a successful restore.

2. Can I do a test restore to an external drive verify the image. Don't want
    do it to my main drive.

3. If I purchase the full version, should I do a complete uninstall and then
    do a clean install of the paid version.

4. If I want to save an image on DVD would it be better to write directly to
    the DVD or can I first go to an external hard drive, and then burn the files
    to the DVD. Which way might be better.

Thanks for the time to read and respond.

Pete

2. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Hi Peter,
    1. I had never problems with TI8 so I think 100%
    2. You can't restore with trial version
    3. Yes, you must uninstall trial version, because you can't register trial (they will give you a link to download the full version)
    4. I don't know because I save my images to ext HD

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Pete

I've never had a problem writing direct to DVD although a few others have. If it works reliably for you then use it (it's a lot more convenient) but if not, then use the two-step method. Be aware though that you can't write direct to DVD when in the Boot Rescue mode. Check out the additional info here.

Regards

4. Peter2150

Thanks Everyone

My restore question was relative to the full version. If I have a big enough partition on an external drive, can I do a restore to it to test the image.

Thanks again, Pete

5. Menorcaman

Provided TI can "see" your external hard drive I see no reason why not. You'll probably have to set the restore partition type to "Primary" as you can only have one "Active" partition at a time.

Regards

6. Peter2150

Silly question time. How do you make that change, and can the new "Primary" drive be an external firewire drive under Win XP Pro?

7. Menorcaman

Hi again Pete

During the restore process, depending where you are restoring to, you'll be given the option to restore the image as either a "Active", "Primary" or "Logical" partition. You will also be given the option to resize the partition being restored.

See Chapter 5 of the True Image User's Guide for a full explanation of the restore process. If you haven't already got the guide, it's available for download here. It's well worth reading prior to using TI for the first time.

Regards

8. Peter2150

Once again Thanks Menorcaman

Just read what you suggested. Looks if I read it right you could restore to an external disk, select Primary so it can restore everything, which should confirm the image is good and then do a quick format to erase the disk. That certain would accomplish what I am after.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.