Few Questions about First Defense !

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by pinso, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Today i installed FD-ISR, 3.32 . When i proceeded with the program, the "Getting Started Wizard Box appeared ", when it was time for Secondary Snapshot, it said not enough space, 4 GB required for snapshot. I h' only 3 GB left from my 11 GB partiton from C: n 5 GB free in my D:
    i can save the Secondary to D: if their is an option.
    Is their an option of taking Secondary snapshot to D:, also the FD window looks like this:

Is the work of Secondary snapshot not complete.
    When i check the readme file, it says
    FirstDefense-ISR (v3.32.235) trademark of Leapfrog Software, when i uninstall this n install the one from Horizon DataSys , it shows FirstDefense PC Rescue v3.1.215 trademark of Horizon DataSys Corporation

Also the activation code for (v3.32.235) doesn't work for (v3.1.215)

p.s: can anyone suggest which is the better version from the two.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Ok i wont lie, if some experienced FD users can help me out,,,i h a 20 GB HDD, so i h 12 GIG in C: n 8 GIG in D. Checking the capacity of the disk it show like

C:

i had assigned 12 GB in c: , so that would show like around 11.7 GB in Binary.

Now the size is 9.76 GB, hell. i had this problem, when i used ATI's Secure Zone, where i had lost 1.75 GB.From then on i hvn't used ATI ever again. Can someone suggest how can i revert this process. All this happened when the Secondary Snapshot could not be taken. It showed not enough space.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

The secondary Snapshot has to go onto the C Drive because it has to be bootable.

Acadia

4. pinso

pinso Registered Member

My bad,,,,,12000MB partiton on C: came to 11.o_OGB, now it is 9 GIG's , i just want to say this error was not created by First Defense....

Last time i did "Bare Metal Restore" by Paragon. I used the Back-up from other PC. Maybe it restored the Disc Signature as well (which had this same problem). Pardon me, if my English is too bad....

Yesterday, i removed most of the Programs i use daily, just to accomodate some space , for a Secondary Snapshot.

i tried the export button, which exports the copy of Snapshot to, desired Drive. Although the Secondary still lies on C:

Since the Secondary lies in C:, is it possible to Restore from Secondary snapshot,,, cause their isn't much space in my C:
    If not then i'll h to abandon, the use of FD. Not that its bad, but i dont h enough space for this Program.(too bad, to consider when i h' two license for this program)

5. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Fixed it,,,:D

Few Question i h', which i could not find reading through the manual.

Q1: Suppose i install a new HDD on my Cabinet, (After installing base Xp n other warez) can i export the Secondary Snapshot from External HDD n proceed with the Restore.
    Also can i do Bare Metal Restore on other PC.

Q2: In ur opinion, which is better FD-ISR (v3.32.235) from Leapfrog or FD Rescue (v3.1.215) from Horizon. Are they the same thing.:blink: :blink: :blink:

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

The answer to this would be former, as afaik FD Rescue only allows for one extra snapshot (besides your base one). Of course, that does not make Lepfrog version necessarily better, but if you follow the simple logic "more is better" than it is.

You can't export "from", you need to export "to". You can only import "from".
    I admit that I don't really have a clue what you're talking about in Q1 so I must do a guesswork -
    If your intention was to ask if you can create a snapshot on your new HDD from an archive residing on an external HDD, then the answer is "yes".

FDISR does not do bare metal restores, it is not an imaging app.

7. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Sorry , what i meant on Q1 was Import and not Export. U guessed it, that's one Ingeneous function, i hvn't come across RB or Eazyfix. Its a good news, i can import when the older HDD starts getting filled up.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  8. pinso

pinso Registered Member

hello folks,
    it does work on Vista n Win7,,,,
    i h' one query, today i made the Secondary Snapshot Active and added few too many programs to make some changes.
    Then i made the Primary Active, then again reverted back to Secondary Snap Shot, however this time , all the "changes", i made prior to setting the Primary as Active, was their on Secondary Snap Shot. But i thought Restoring whichever Snapshot would remove all the changes i made to the Image/Backup.
    Can someone tell me, is this what FD does, creates somekind of Virtual Secondary Image, allowing users to work on two or more Virtual like OS. This would kill the HDD space unnecessarily....
    Somone please make me understand.....:( :( :(
    i m not seeing the picture clearly.......

i thought restoring the snapshot would remove the changes made (when working on the current state),,,,like RB/Rx n Eazy fix does....
    (plz bare with my writing):D

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If I am understanding your post correctly, yes, all the programs that you added to your Secondary Snapshot would still be there because, well, you were in the Secondary when you added them. Whichever snapshot that you are in at the time is your actual C drive just like it would be on any other computer, whatever you do in a Snapshot is going to be kept just like it would on any person's C drive; FirstDefense is NOT a virtual program of any kind. Your Primary Snapshot would not have those programs because you were not in it when you added them. If you want to get rid of those programs go into your Primary and use it to update your Secondary. After you update one Snapshot using another they are then BOTH IDENTICAL. Updating is what "restores" Snapshots in FirstDefense, just as if you were restoring your entire C drive using any kind of a backup program.

Acadia

10. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Thnk u for expaining, i see now that Updating works much like Resoring in FD. i did like mentioned, went to Primary n started updating;(it started making copy of Primary not like u said,i.e., updating Secondaryo_O ) but it showed some errors (not enough free space left) hardly h' 3.37GB left.
    8-12-2009 6-59-59 PM.png

Not FD to blame, i guess my only option now, is to use Secondary snapshot until it gets bad; then i could boot to Primary n remove the Secondary n again proceed to make a another copy of Primary.:doubt:
    Even with a 1 GB ram, copying the Primary(3.55GB mine) would take another 45 mins. Too much time to copy....:doubt:
    Although the idea of preserving the untouched Primary is really good.:thumb:

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You are not quite getting it yet.
    FD-ISR's logic is basically completely different from RollbackRX's. There is no such thing as making a snapshot "Active". You simply boot into snapshot and that is it. Whatever changes you make to whichever snapshot, stay there, as with any normal OS installation. To revert the snapshot to unaltered state, you use the Archives (Archived Snapshots) assuming that you created an archive prior to altering.

Let's forget about "export" and "import" features for a moment. To create an archive, you should r-click on a snapshot you want to archive and select "copy/update". As a "source" select the snapshot you're archiving and as "destination" select "New Archive". Archives should reside on a separate disc/partition, so make sure you have enough space on it. Folder to store archives can be changed from the "Tools"->"Options"->"Archives" menus.

Creating an archive is very similar to creating a full image and takes some time since all files on a snapshot need to be copied.

To restore an archive, the process is the same but the source and destination are switched - r-click on an archive, click on "copy/update" and select the snapshot that you want overwritten with this archive as destination. One thing to keep in mind (and a very important one) is that you cannot restore an archive to a snapshot you're currently in, which is quite logical when you think about it. So you need to have at least 2 snapshots, one to restore from and one to be restored.

This process is differential so it should be very fast.

This may seem true from your perspective, as you are looking at FD-ISR from the aspect of your needs. But simply, it is not. Having independent snapshots allows you to, for example, have different OSes installed, a thing you cannot possibly achieve with Rollback. I agree that using FD-ISR needs a lot of HD space, but gigabytes are getting cheaper and using FD-ISR will fully pay them off. If you have a need for an app like FD-ISR, that is...

I do understand that you, as a former/current Rollback user, have a bit of a hard time understanding FD logic, but when you get a hang of it, you see how simple (compared to Rollback) it really is. I, personally, have no need for imaging apps anymore on systems where FD is installed.

12. pinso

pinso Registered Member

5 Star to u, thank u for the direction on making an Archive, n restoring the snapshot(which was pretty quick). I did like mentioned , n restored the Second Snanshot.(that was a relief):D
    Untitled-2.jpg
    i took my time to understand FD, although i hvn't fully. For a 6MB size Program, i really cant find words to describe FD.(reeaally stable application) :thumb::thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    i dont want to go ahead of myself, at this stage with FD; few weeks back;i tried installing Vista in (VM)Paralled Workstation , at the same time used RB-RX to revert back to first Snapshot. Then after 4 days, my 1 GB ram got busted. (luckily i had the Warranty) Multiple OS's is a No No for me.....(i m fine with Single OS)
    What a program; FD is virtually undefeatable, provided i h' free space n the Primary(and an Archive) in good condition.
    Too bad FD is not mentioned in any Top Ten Reviews/ for Backup or ISR.​

Thank you

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  13. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You're welcome pinso.
    Glad we sorted this out. Enjoy your copy of FD, this is truly an exceptional piece of software.

14. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Maybe some more food for thought for you.
    If you just maintain a bare bones secondary snapshot instead of directly copying it from the Primary, it will be sufficient for you to boot to, to access all the archives that you have, and keep disk space used to a min. (Courtesy of Peter) Works very well this way,and of course keeps any image size to a minimum.
    FDISR does indeed work on Windows 7 but if you are using different O/S's then you need to read the thread below "Mission Accomplished" to avoid boot problems.

Ken

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  15. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Can u elaborate that point more clearly, maintain a bare bones secondary snapashot instead of directly copying it from the Primary. , i couldn't grap it...:D :ouch:

16. USAAlone

USAAlone Registered Member

Hi,

He's telling not to modify the snapshot. Use the snapshot to
    fix things, when your current snapshot breaks. Add a new snapshot
    after you get a larger hard drive. a 5 gb partition will fill up in no time.
    FD needs plenty of storage to use it with many snapshots. If you anchor
    your data in FD, so your files are available in every snapshot, the snapshots will get larger. With the full hard drive partitions you have, storing more data will not be possible. FD is letting you know

i tried the export button, which exports the copy of Snapshot to, desired Drive. Although the Secondary still lies on C:

ac

Cannot add anymore snapshots, unless you archive the ones you have and delete them, after you create the archive. Archives are snapshots saved stored as a file on a external hard drive. With all the small partitions you have sounds like, thats the only hard drive available for your use. Cannot squeeze large data to your small partitions. They will be filled up in no time.
    You can only store small documents to those 11 8 5 gigabyte partitions. Do not mix up 1 gb memory with a 5 gb hard drive. Use the same GB size but they are separate. Memory is only temporary and will be erased after you turn off your computer.

The problem of insufficient space, is not a bug with FD or with a bad snapshot. There is not enough space left to add to a snapshot or to make a new one. :)

Daniel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.