Few newbie questions

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by rendez2k, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I've just bought FDISR (+ RollBack Rx Professional for testing purposes using a 40% discount from donationcoder). And I'm just wondering about usage.

1. I've tested both apps separately. Its my understanding that FDISR excels in scheduled backups where RRx appears to be good for testing software installations as you can quickly set a new restore point. Is this the case? Can or is there a need to run both together?

2. Could/should either product replace ATI?

3. I read that a new blank image can be set up for FDISR, so a new operating system can be installed? I'm currently running XP, but could say Vista be installed to a blank image?

4. Can/should either product be run with say Returnil Virtual System or PowerShadow?

Many thanks!

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I can't speak for rrx but fd-isr is not a great replacement for ati. If your hard drive crashes fd-isr will not be able to save you.
    Although i've never installed vista in an empty snapshot i don't see why it wouldn't work, i've installed 2000,xphome, xppro and 2003 all in empty snapshots with no problems.
    I run fd-isr with powershadow and returnil with no problems. Although fd-isr has a similar function to powershadow or returnil its a lot slower in doing it.

My current combo is trueimage 10 + fd-isr + powershadow. Simple and effective!

3. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

1) Dont know anything aboutRRx as I have never used it so can't comment, but FD-ISR should be perfectly effective for testing software.

2)Probably not as ATI and similar products are a different beast, so if you want what ATI offers, then some, or a lot of that would be missing in FD

3)Yes

Can? yes Should? Well that would be up to you.

4. rendez2k

OK, thanks guys. I'm guessing the best way to test software with FD-ISR is to dupe the current snapshot, then install the new software. Does this take up twice the room? Also, if I wanted a different snapshot for say games, I guess I could just again dupe the current snapshot then delete all the software I don't need? Also, I don't see a way to create and empty snapshot?

Think I'm slowly getting it!

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, that is correct, twice the room.

Yes, no need to delete software unless you simply prefer to do it that way.

Blank Snapshot: http://www.raxco.com/support/kb_detail.cfm?kbid=408&prod=1&ver=8.0

Acadia

6. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello and welcome to wilders!

1) I havent used RollBack Rx Professional so i cant comment on that. There are several people who have used both so they can give you more detailed answer. I use FDISR to test software, i have one snapshot that i use to test all kinds of programs (few exceptions) and then if i like them, i install them to my active snapshot.

2) NO, you should allways combine FDISR with good back up program.

3) It is possible, there are some who are already have done that. There is thread here in wilders how to do that. You just have to wait for these people to come online and they can give you more information. You can have look HERE.

4) You should have no problems running Returnil or Powershadow with FDISR. I have used Powershadow with FDISR and i had no problems at all.

Kristian

7. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Open the FDISR main window, go to Tools and there you find Create Empty Snapshot. It will open the Empty Snapshot wizard and just follow the instructions.

Kristian

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You are going too fast. Put empty snapshots, frozen snapshot, archives, RollbackRx, etc. aside until you understand the main function of FDISR : Immediate System Recovery.

FDISR starts with a primary snapshot (= work snapshot) created by FDISR during the installation AND a secondary snapshot (= rollback snapshot) created by you.
    That is the absolute minimum and the best way to learn FDISR gradually. :)

FDISR doesn't create IMAGES, FDISR creates SNAPSHOTS and the first snapshot is a COPY of your harddisk.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good point, Erik. :cool:

Acadia

10. rendez2k

Thanks for all the tips and help guys. My first (second) snapshot has just completed so I'm going to have a play with that. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

One of the first things I did with FDISR after creating the secondary snapshot, was creating one snapshot after another until I had 10 snapshots and then I tried to create the 11th snapshot to see the reaction of FDISR.
    After that I knew if my harddisk was big enough to handle 10 snapshots and I also knew how FDISR would react on the 11th snapshot. After that test I also realized that FDISR has smart wizards.

12. rendez2k

Thanks again guys.

1. OK, just created my second snapshot. The first I guess isn't a snapshot but just the current state of the PC as it takes seconds to create during install?

2. My image is large as expected. My primary drive is 150gb of which 75gb was used. My first image has now left me 22gb on C (I did include some data anchoring)! Did I read that compression could be used? Theres no way I could create any more images on that drive!

3. Does data anchoring essentially mean that files aren't included in the backups? Is it just best to snapshot the windows directory?

4. Can images be moved to other drives - I have 2 other internals and 2 external drives. I did specify and alternative data archive drive but not sure it meant this as it didn't use it.

5. Can I still defrag the drives OK?

6. If using TI, should I include or exclude the FDISR data?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

1. Yes, you are now in a Snapshot, the Primary, but you did not have to do anything to create it, it was created as you installed the software. The proof is that you can now actually boot out of it.

2. Whoa, you are quite full, good thing that you anchored. I have never used compression, but yes the latest version has that feature.

3. Correct, not included in the other Snapshots, BUT, you should only anchor data, not system files.

4. Yes, you can use other drives, read up on Archives in the manual.

5. Yes, defragging still goes ok.

6. No, when using TI simply image the entire drive like you always have.

Good luck,
    Acadia

14. rendez2k

Going to test the compression option on a new snapshot but whats the difference between a snapshot and an archive?

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Taken from the FD Manual accessed via help in the GUI......

You can save a snapshot to an Archive. An archive is a single file that contains all the files in a snapshot. Archives are integrated into the user interface. You can use an archive like a snapshot except you cannot boot an archive.

Archives can up updated. That is, when you copy a snapshot to an existing archive only the changes are copied.

Archives are compressed using NTFS file compression.

Typically, archives are faster to access than a snapshot due to the compression and the lack of a file system overhead.

Unlike snapshots, there is no predetermined limit to the number of archives you can have. You are only limited by the available disk space. Note, however, the performance of Windows drops when the system drive gets close to full.

Rendez, archives are kept on external hard drives or another drive other than the one your OS is on, although I feel an external is safer!

16. rendez2k

OK, I've got three snapshots now - primary, secondary and a test area for software. Is there some kind of "roll-back" feature for the test area snapshot? Is there away to set it up as a base image then be able to quickly restore it in the future or would I need to make a duplicate copy? Is this the best way to set an area for testing? Tried Rx RollBack but it resets all the snapshots, not just the current.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If you want too, you can use the Freeze feature for your software test snapshot. Uses a bunch of hard drive space but it works great and sounds like what you are looking for; works best with two hard drives.
    Acadia

18. rendez2k

Thanks Acadia. The only thing with freezing is that it doesn't appear to keep the changes between reboots. Maybe I'll just make it into an archive and store the test image elsewhere.

19. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Thats the point of freezing a snapshot, every change made to the snapshot after freezing it is removed upon reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.