Feedback?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by firzen771, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

its a new real-time setup for me that im not entirely sure about so im looking for poeple's feedback.

- Avira PE Premium
    - Zemana Antilogger
    - Mamutu (maybe, depending on feedback)

the reason im thinking fo getting rid of CIS, is because it has reinforced why i hate using software FW, just creates issues for me in one way or another.

would Zemana Antilogger and its System Defence module provide adequate protection for threats other than just keylogging? or would u suggest to use Zemana + Mamutu with my AV? tell me your thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

i think i prefer your sig...

3. firzen771

i like CIS, but i really cant stand software FW's anymore (other than Windows) so im looking for opinions whether the setup i posted would provide enough protection.

4. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Mamutu is crap imo.

5. firzen771

ur entitled to ur opinion, but im going to ignore that comment... but first im looking if antilogger + Avira is enough, if people dont think it is then ill add Mamutu.

6. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I cannot comment on Zemana as I have never used it. I like Mamutu...runs light but I am not totally convinced of its effectiveness. I also share your frustration with software firewalls and I'll add noisy HIPS to that frustation as well.

Have you tried policy based HIPS like DefenseWall and GeSWall? I can tell you that DW runs light with Avira Premium and almost no pop ups.

7. chris2busy

how about OA with firewall uninstalled?
    won't make your finger hurt as much as comodo and will do the job (only drawback so far is lack of reg guard-it covers startups though)..
    i used to use it on vista when my pc was conected in a network with other family pc's (i can only clean them but they will infest them again 3 times faster :D )

8. firzen771

NEVER, going to use OA again, ive tried it, tried everything mentioned to help startup, but startup was slowed to an unacceptable level.

9. chris2busy

I am sorry it didn't suit your needs.This is a know issue(was not for me since i put sleep mode instead of shut down).A while ago i tried MD and i was quite impressed,but i am not going to be use/buy it since it does not work in vista LUA..if you are not using a LUA,but UAC instead,it will work wonders.plus its network control alerts are really cool..provide i.p of connection attemps and do a resolution when able :D (i.e www.sandboxie.com )..thats just propositions though...you didn't tell us,u own a licence for zemana and mamutu?if yea,its ok to use them i guess (i personally do not like anti-logger but that 1 man's opinion).also have you trialed them to see if they work on you pc/setup ? are you willing to pay for apps or looking for freebiez?

10. firzen771

ive tried antilogger and i used to use Mamutu a lot, both individually worked fine with my AV, havent tried them together.

11. idbit

idbit Registered Member

I was running Avira, Mamutu, Look'n'Stop, and Keyscrambler for a couple weeks - on an aging Pentium 4 system. This combo caused zero perceptable impact on speed or performance for me. Look'n'Stop and Online Armor are night and day in terms of performance impact. LNS is a joy to use. Very well laid out and clean.

I'm back to using Online Armor Free, Avira, and Keyscrambler for now. I wanted more HIPS and the RunSafer option is real convenient and simple. I may go back though. I can't put my finder on exactly what it is. But my computer just isn't as "snappy" now with OA on it. I haven't had any problems with slow startup though.

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

IMO I think Avira and Zemana combined with your common sense is effective.Zemana does cover all forms of malware not just specific to keyloggers.Another option to consider is prevx Edge.It all comes down to your preference in the end and your thoughts are the only one that counts.I will not use anything I do not like No matter how effective it is even if its suppose to be the best there is.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap Zemana AntiloGer is antiaction blocker,not only for keylogger,i like the system defense i think is a cool feature:thumb:

14. firzen771

ok would adding Mamutu or (add suggestion here) provide any added protection to Avira + antilogger?

15. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have never tried Mamutu but I did use Avira free with CIS (without AV) and that was very good protection. However, I have taken off Avira and have the full CIS package running. I think its a great free security setup and its only getting better. I surf safely and surf on the darkside. CIS has been keeping it clean!

Ice

16. firzen771

ik already using CIS, and i said im looking to get rid of it...

17. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I think with mamutu you can protect other process from munipulation,maybe some added benefit there if they get along.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

didnt like it?

19. firzen771

the HIPS was fine but im looking for less traditional HIPS, got tired of going to installation mode wen installing software or else the HIPS would be having a lights show.

but the main thing was, it was has shown me why i hate software FW's other than windows one, just causes problems with programs for me, dont wanna deal with all that.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i understand

21. 3xist

3xist Guest

So what your saying is Comodo doesn't do the job?

Hey firzen771, I understand what you are saying - Myself being a Mod at the Comodo Forums I wouldn't force you to use CIS. But what I will say is that there will be a time in the near future for installation mode, Where Comodo will automatically switch to installation mode without any pop ups and finish it for you too (Switch back automatically) - It tracks installers, I don't know the full details but this is what is going on for the Installation Mode part.

I know you also used CIS v3.8 Beta, Which marks the usability turning point in CIS, Just FYI the final version MIGHT be out on the 10th of Feb (That's a tuesday) since the 2nd beta is pretty stable and developers still have time to fix bugs and improve things. From this 2nd BETA of CIS v3.8 final there will be good changes. Many people reporting bugs, and also we got about 300 Trusted Vendors to be automatically trusted in CIS by default (I don't know when this will be added).

If Comodo Firewall is bugging you, please let me know So I can help you set up specific network rules if that's what your after, and also ask other guys to help if needed. If D+ is still a pain in this 2nd Beta, things can improve in the final release (As I said, long list of Trusted Vendors were posted to be added to CIS) and I can help you set up D+ rules as well.

Anyway goodluck with any other alternative you do find... If you need help with CIS or anything let me know and I will pass any suggestions to the CIS developers onboard if you have any.

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  22. 3xist

3xist Guest

Sorry, I forgot to pass on my personal alternatives to add to your Avira.

Sandboxie
    ThreatFire (It's not a HIPS, but good behavior blocker IMO and very good to Avira, used if anything jumps out of the Sandbox).

But I do still prefer CIS!! hehe. :)

Cheers,
    Josh

23. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I'm running Online Armor Paid and Avira Antivir Premium on my XP and Vista machines. It seems like a good combo. I tried Mamutu and TF on different occasions and I noticed a significant performance drop in my opinion. I'm not sure if TF is needed when I have OA?

24. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Oh, sorry. I didn't read the post carefully. I happen to dislike that part of CIS also, the installation mode. I feel I'm going to forget to put it back and I won't notice the periodic reminder that comes up. I tried Spyware terminator and really liked the installation logic they have. It automatically detects the installation and only shows a static balloon message by the toolbar, no popups. Then when the install is over it automatically changes back to protection. The hips module in CIS is far superior to Spyware terminators but that install thing is real cool. I'm glad to see Comodo is trying to implement something like it. :)

Ice

25. 3xist

3xist Guest

Read my post above. :)

Auto installation mode is on the way!! (Dunno when it will be out yet...) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.