feedback.exe from op fw free 2009 64 bit

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by wutsup, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hello wilders, yes im trying outpost firewall free 2009 64 bit again but this time with host protection off as it causes problems.

but i noticed this time when it installed it added a startup item called feedback.exe. what is this?

i dont recall it being there the others times ivve installed this. was this always part of outpost?

2. arran

arran Registered Member

feedback.exe? seems outpost has started adding "Crap" and "Bloat" to its software it reminds me of Googleupdate.exe from google products.

I don't like things like this, you don't know what information and data it sends to home

3. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

yea i dont remember this being installed when i was tryin out outpost a few weeks ago. i dunno...i uninstalled outpost again.....i want oa free 64 bit now!

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

It's a process to send back home info about your usage/PC and probably part of your partecipation in the "Agnitum Comunity" where you send anonymous data to mother Agnitum. It was in v.6 too if you weren't careful during installation. In v.7 even if you uncheck it during installation, by default, your partecipation to Agnitum Comunity is activated in the options.

It's like with Agnitum news. You WANT to partecipate, don't you? Wait, don't answer! Of course you do! :D

You can disable feedback.exe from startup with any startupmanager without ill effects.

5. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

The part about disabling with a start up manager is correct. If one disables self-protection a startup manager can prevent this from running. However, feedback has absolutely nothing to do with the Improvenet function.

Feedback exe has been part of the Outpost installation since version 3.0 this has been there since at least 2006. What feedback.exe does is allow one to report problems directly to Agnitum. If there is a crash or some internal problem it will prompt a user to send that information to Agnitum. Same as the feedback operations in many other applications.

Outpost v7 has an option as requested by many of us to disable the news download. It works fine. If one clicks the "click here to recieve product news" it re-enables rather than just collecting the current news.

6. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

ive installed outpost firewall free 2009 64 bit in the past and i dont ever remember this being in startup before.

7. FirePost

I guess you did not see it before? :)

I have not used the free versions so it may be new to them. But it has been part of Outpost installations since version 3.

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Agreed....ive always used the pro from time to time and its been there for years,and as you say can be easily disabled.
    ellison

9. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

maybe i just didnt notice it before. does it send them like information about your system back to agnitum? tahts kinda shady.

i tried disabling it with msconfig and ccleaner. it doesnt work. how do i disbale feedback.exe?

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Right click outpost tray icon and disable self protection first.
    ellison

11. FirePost

Ever run something like Firefox and had it crash? It pops up a feedback dialog and ASKS if you want to report the data so they can trouble shoot. Ever had a Windows program crash and seen the "Report this issue to Microsoft?" prompts? It is the same thing.

Again..
    It sends them nothing unless you answer yes to the prompt. And the prompt will only happen if something goes wrong.

And ellison64 is correct. Turn off self-protection, uncheck or remove the entry. Turn back on.

12. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

oh ok, i thought feedback.exe would constantly send info back to agnitum about my system. so should i disable it or completely remove it from the startup? would they both completely disable feedback.exe?

13. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Winpatrol stops it just fine..just disable it under start-up programs
    after you disable self protection ofcourse ;)

14. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

ok, but does this completely disable feedback.exe once you reboot?

and wouldnt it be better to remove feedback.exe from start up rather than disabling it? or would they both accomplish the same thing of disabling feedback.exe completely?

15. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

Here's what happens when an error causes feedback to activate. It pops up this screen which provides the user with full control of what to send.

If error reporting bothers you for some reason then certainly you can stop it from starting up. I don't consider it bloat but it's your call. This thing has been around for years.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.