Feds use PS3 to crack passwords

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ryan14, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan14

ryan14 Registered Member

Feds using PS3 to crack passwords of encrypted folders:

http://www.axcessnews.com/index.php/articles/show/id/19037

Wouldn't a PC be faster? How fast is the PS3's CPU?

Also in the article it says networked ps3's can do 4 million password combinations per second and a 6 digit password has 281,474,976,710,656 combinations, so how much hours will it take the feds to crack a 6 digit password?

Anyway to prevent people brute force cracking your passwords?

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I use a 16 digit password composed of small and large case letters, numbers and symbols. Let them work on it. When they finally get the job done in a few years or so, they get nothing but my old income tax files.

I send encrypted emails currently gpg4win, send emails with words that should flag my mails, etc, everything to tempt them to come knocking. I do it because I still can.

I could go into a long rant about Rights and the various world governments encroachment on them, including my own here in the USA, but this isn't the place.

3. mjau

mjau Registered Member

I guess they use more then 1 ps3, anyway if normal people can have access to net with maybe 5000 or more computers that will work togheter then i belive that the goverment have more, and even a 24 letter password can be broken, it wont take years

4. arran

arran Registered Member

Using 5000 that will work together now that's an interesting statement is this possible?

remember for every single digit and or letter added onto the password it increases the amount off possible combinations quite significantly.

5. mjau

mjau Registered Member

When cracking passwords from lets say a database that have been hashed and salted, a password on 24 letters will probably just take hours, it all depends on what you have access to, now 5000 computers is not much, i guess they have access to alot more and i mean alot more.

We just think we are safe :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.