Feds Shutter Megaupload, Arrest Executives

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dermot7, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

very good point :thumb:

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

The MU shutdown caught someone of surprise, that's for sure.

-http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Download-Managers/

Look for MU Download Manager Beta. :D

If you go to -http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Download-Managers/MU-Download-Manager.shtml you'll see the requirements:

Unfortunately, it now has one more requirement - Megaupload. :-*

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

They wouldn't have caught me.
    In the safe room would've been a hatch in the floor to the underground labyrinth that only I knew the escape route of. The right path leads to a rocket powered mining car transporting me to my abandoned mine. Then up to the surface where my get away vehicle takes me to my yacht. Once in international waters I can resume my luxury lifestyle in a non-extradition country.

4. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I think Kim Dotcom realized that his arrest would stop him from gaming for a while.
    Being the world wide nr. 1 at Modern Warfare 3 FFA under the nick 'MEGARACER', he went for a last virtual shoot out.
    Hearing actual armed guys coming in by choppers, smashing/cutting/breaking through his security measures and safe room must have added some real-life excitement to his last Free For All game :p ... link

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  7. worgeordie

worgeordie Registered Member

Did they not find any WMD s ,!!!
    regards Worgeordie

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Do they use US servers?

I wonder who at Megaupload decided to use US servers. Did they get sloppy? Maybe they have a case somewhere (not in US courts) against Cogent Communications Group.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  9. redcell

redcell Registered Member

FileSonic disables file sharing after Megaupload shutdown

FileSonic disables file sharing after Megaupload shutdown

http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/SCT-NEWS-filesonic-disables-file-sharing-after-megaupload-shutdown-2781948.html

Related articles:
    FileSonic disables file sharing in wake of MegaUpload arrests
    FileSonic Just Killed Itself By Disabling File Sharing
    Firm stops file sharing after Megaupload case

10. redcell

Re: FileSonic disables file sharing after Megaupload shutdown

MediaFire CEO: Unlike Megaupload, our business model isn’t built on piracy

Any word from Mediafire, Rapidshare, Oron, Filesmonster and Filefactory?

11. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If they (U.S and/or others) want to take down this or that service due to "piracy", then it isn't just about Megaupload, Rapidshare, Mediafire and the likes.

It's actually about any service that we can use to host whatever they deem to be copyrighted and illegal material.

Is there anything that can stop me from using a Gmail account to host copyrighted material? I can host these copyrighted material encrypted. I can then share the key to decrypt with some friend living in the United States/other country, by using a different service... even by mobile/cell phone.

How's anyone ever going to find out what the heck we were talking about, if only we know the code to decipher the key to decrypt the content, we may send each other over Gmail or other service, such as Dropbox?

What, does anyone think that this doesn't happen? Think again. lol

The way I see it, the United States should close all these services... :D :thumb:

13. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Re: FileSonic disables file sharing after Megaupload shutdown

From ArsTechnica;
    "We're not concerned or scared about the raid," Daniel Raimer, a spokesperson for RapidShare, told Ars in a phone interview. "File hosting itself is a legitimate business."...
    RapidShare's CEO Alexandra Zwingli enumerated the ways in which RapidShare is different from Megaupload, pointing out first that RapidShare is set up in a much more transparent way than the Mega empire, and under the actual names of its founders.
    "RapidShare AG was founded in Switzerland and in fact, it was always located at the address given in the company details and was always run under real names without any anonymous intermediate businesses. The radical measures against Megaupload were apparently required since the situation there had been totally different."...
    RapidShare has designated a Digital Millennium Copyright Act agent to deal with takedown requests, Raimer said.
    link

Not sure though if a dedicated DMCA agent is enough to keep RIAA/Hollywood of their back when those two have tasted first blood.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  14. redcell

Latest personal checks > Crocko, Filesmonster and Oron business as usual.

15. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

I'll be the devils advocate...

I've often felt as dlng whatever that I was getting something for free
    Sooo...is that right on a continuing basis?...I mean unearned rewards

I think this is a very spoiled generation

16. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's less of a "Give me my free stuff back!" and more of a "It's scary that they government can pull down a site because it was being misused."

There's also the fact that Megaupload honestly just had a better infrastructure than what the private sector was providing. The piracy site that gave things away for free actually had the better service... and it wasn't even about price.

Netflix has streaming problems and not a lot of content. Megavideo had everything and was Flash based, which was actually nice since it worked on Linux etc.

Companies are so busy worrying about shutting piracy down when they should just learn to compete with it. Yes, piracy is wrong. But this solution is moronic and it hurts everyone involved. It would be cheaper to implement an infrastructure similar to MegaVideo's then to constantly take websites to court, which takes years and millions of dollars.

The problem is that the people in charge have no idea how the internet works. They see it as a toy and as a dangerous one at that. They're so fixated on destroying these pirates they don't understand why people pirate. It is not about money and they don't get that.

One example is Fox. It's free. You buy a satellite and a TV and you get Fox. And yet Fox's website doesn't let you watch Fringe until a week later... how does that make sense? Of course people are going to pirate it - they don't want to wait a week! The content is free anyways and yet it's illegal. If they'd release Fringe the night after so few people would bother pirating and yet I know loads who do purely because they don't want it spoiler for them or they don't want to be behind.

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

18. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

19. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Exactly. Or maybe 95% exactly. Sometimes it really is about the money. This is more often the case in poorer countries. One doesn't have the money for something but wants it very much, so one turns to the so called pirates. Apart from that you are spot on. Quite often people "pirate" stuff simply because it's a lot more convenient. This is especially true for some games. Many a time people prefer the pirated version because it has its protection removed, which actually causes more problems than it solves and annoys the hell out of the people who actually purchased it. The pirates offer better experience overall so no wonder people go there. The industry treats the average consumer as a potential criminal from the start - all kinds of protections on games, movies, music. The industry isn't trying to cure the cause of the problem, instead it's treating the symptoms. Then again, it might not be trying to cure the causes because it's the industry itself that has created them to begin with. The industry also

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe they do know how the Internet works, how to compete with pirates, etc. Maybe they just don't want to. Maybe they want to have everything their way. After all they also do treat the consumer like a lab animal of some kind, wanting to control control every aspect of the consumer's "experience" - more and more restrictions as to what one is not allowed to do with one's legally purchased copy of whatver it is.

It makes me sick.

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Really weird, it's public so you should be able to view it without creating an account, works for me o_O Anyway here's the text:

21. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

My bad...I had javascript disabled. ;) Thanks. :)

22. Dermot7

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01/bail-kim-dotcom/

"MegaUpload Founder Again Denied Bail, High Court Appeal Launched" : https://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-founder-again-denied-bail-high-court-appeal-launched-120125/

edit: added 2nd link.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  23. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

How do we nab a guy in another country? Easy just say he spread terrorist propaganda on his sites and put him on the FBI wanted list.

24. redcell

Uploaded servers in Hong Kong.

Non-US users are sticking to it.

25. Dermot7

"Megaupload: A Lot Less Guilty Than You Think" : http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/node/6795

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.