Feds Shutter Megaupload, Arrest Executives

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dermot7, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

+1 Couldnt agree more!!

2. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

1. I don't own a website nor intend to create one. So i don't really care about SOPA.

2. The Industry been stealing other peoples work for ages and been making money of it. Now that someone else do it with their own rules they post false statistics about losses.
    Disney ripping others people work like in Fantasia are no different than what Piratebay does.

3. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

"MegaUpload Founder Denied Bail at Extradition Hearing" : https://torrentfreak.com/megaupload...tm_campaign=Feed: Torrentfreak (Torrentfreak)

4. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I can probably find both of those things on Google.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If you really think SOPA only affects website creators, you are sorely wrong. Also, it took 76 choppers? I agree with HungryMan, everything they're complaining about is a Google search away (yes, even CP..Google isn't God and can't watch everything). The big thing to take from this is how easily hit "cloud computing" can be. Less control does not equal safer. Make no mistake about it, the U.S had a very big hand in this. They've already bullied other countries into cracking down on supposed copyright infringement (Spain being a very recent case), and they'll go after anyone they can, no matter how well respected the organization is.

Count your blessings if other huge storage services don't get hit in the coming months.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You also have to take other more political treaties in consideration. Whether it's liked to be heard or not, the "You take care of this or we stop sending/supporting things" threats work really well when you have allies you sorely depend on.

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

There has been word elsewhere that some incarnation of the site has reared it's ugly head on the Net - this is unsubstantiated and I won't go there.

Some interesting reading from a Hosting perspective that I found a bit funny, or it was when I read it ;)

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm not certain what you meant by "rearing its ugly head", but, if it's to say such a service got what was coming to it, then we can say that about Rapidshare, Filsonic, Uploading, Oron, and so many others. They serve a purpose, and it's not just what Hollywood, the music industry, government and everyone else who only can see the color green, thinks it is.

This was a very disturbing move, just like the past war on blogs was. They're playing that game again they are so good at, which is getting rid of the weeds amongst the flowers by digging up the entire flowerbed. They don't know how to stop piracy, they can't stop it. Everything they take down comes back in another form, and, in the meantime, many innocent users and sites feel the fallout from their "nuclear strike".

Edit: I just want to add that I don't support the owner of Megaupload in any way. If he is guilty of a lot of the other crimes he is accused of, he needs to be dealt with. My problem lies in taking out the entire thing for a few problem causers.

10. Hungry Man

11. siljaline

@dw426 ~

No, I meant the site or an incarnation of it was cited elsewhere, I cannot cite the source(s) since they are unsubstantiated.

There are Legal implications in naming names, I don't believe the purpose of this thread is to do this.

What interests me and many out there reading this, is, how the DMCA Takedown of Megaupload plays out.

12. Hungry Man

You're probably thinking of megau*****.bz, which is actually a phishing site. I'll just censor out that bit....

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Understood, thanks.

@Hungry: Thanks, it just shows that SOPA wasn't a new weapon, they already were able to do things like this.

14. siljaline

15. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm not so sure about that. Have you looked for mp3sugar lately ;) But the US just took down one of the world's top web sites. It made Kim Dotcom and his friends wealthy (for a while, anyway). That's a huge market niche, waiting to be filled. And if they also take down RapidShare etc, can you imagine?

16. Hungry Man

If users want to pirate they'll just move to UseNet. Far superior to megaupload.

17. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Antipiracy Case Sends Shivers Through Some Legitimate Storage Sites - New York Times

In the world of conspiracies:
    What is amazing to me is what would have happened had SOPA passed first. It's possible the MegaUpload takedown was timed to coincide with the SOPA legislation schedule. Lawmakers would have immediately praised how crucial SOPA was in the takedown to reinforce it's necessity. Many news articles would've been written to praise its usefulness.

18. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Cogent shares slide after U.S. shuts Megaupload.com - Chicago Tribune

19. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's very old school. Very few Megaupload users would have a clue how to access alt.binaries.*

20. Hungry Man

UseNet's not too hard. But unless you pay it's kinda gimped.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

22. Hungry Man

I'd hide in a safe room too if I saw 27 SWAT officers charging at me.

23. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Funny, SOPA gets put on hold, which "could" have allowed the shutdowns, & the next thing we know the FED's do it anyway. So they didn't Actually need it afterall :p

I'm NOT for DL'ing illegal content, but SOPA etc was too broad in it's goals.

I was amazed to discover how MUCH those guys @ MU had made :eek: Mr.big certainly has a Very shady past ! Oh well, he'll have Lots of nice memories to ponder on for several years, if he & they get shackled :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  24. Hungry Man

Actually they wouldn't have been able to do this had MU not screwed up and used US servers. SOPA would have let the US gov't block access regardless of where the servers are (and also would have destroyed the DNS/ URL system.)

25. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Best opinion piece I've read yet:
    http://www.salon.com/2012/01/21/two_lessons_from_the_megaupload_seizure/singleton/

But just as the celebrations began over the saving of Internet Freedom, something else happened: the U.S. Justice Department not only indicted the owners of one of the world’s largest websites, the file-sharing site Megaupload, but also seized and shut down that site, and also seized or froze millions of dollars of its assets — all based on the unproved accusations...​

Really good piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.