Feds Shutter Megaupload, Arrest Executives

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dermot7, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

So much for needing SOPA :rolleyes:

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Let me rephrase...

how does the US have the ability to arrest citizens of other countries, in other countries, and then take down a site hosted in another country?

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

very simple, through various co-operation treaties that are in place between the countries mentioned (from 2nd posted link)
    "..
    The FBI worked with authorities from New Zealand, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Canada, Germany, the UK and the Phillipines, and in concert with US Immigration and Customs Enforcement on the case.
    .."

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://www.chillingeffects.org/piracy/faq.cgi

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'll say this once: The rest of the world really needs to stop caring about what the United States thinks of what is illegal or what isn't illegal. One of these days, no one will be able to smoke Cuban cigars outside of the United States, and you'll be arrested. :blink:

If it was the other way around, I have high doubts that the United States would think like the rest of the world... Oh, wait... they don't. o_O

-edit-

So, they simply managed to shut down a legal service, abused by pirates. Well done. Well... shut down all search engines, as without these 99% of people won't be able to get anything. Not a simple solution, because no one would be able to search anything, but it would be effective.

9. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

https://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-shut-down-120119/

10. Hungry Man

This is actually very annoying... I kept quite a lot of (legal) content on MegaUpload including some old revisions of programs I'd compiled and even some pictures. The government just blocked my access to those...

11. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

https://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/

12. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Good aim without their usual collateral damage.

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

sopa or pipa they will still control us all... people think they will will win a war by getting sopa thrown out think again they just proved they can do whatever they want anyway no matter sopa or pipa

14. Hungry Man

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yeah, I hear ya. I kept a few files, legit of course, there as well :(

~~LWM: off-topic comment removed~~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i used it OFTEN to store things i didnt want to carry with me then i could download them on site like tools, copies of free av's for customers etc all legit.. this simply sucks

17. Hungry Man

I compiled PCSX2 for a forum. Takes quite a lot of time to bugfix and upload and compiling took an hour for the enhanced builds. I put it on MU. Oh well.

18. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

USA starts looking like China and Russia...

Anyway i can block all american IP's ? :D

(just kidding, so far...)

19. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

^Mmm, not so sure, I can almost hear champagne corks popping in Moscow and St.Petersburg.
    Seems like this action pretty much restricts big uploading sites from having any presence in the US, Western Europe and Aussie/Kiwi territory.
    Companies like f.i. Dutch Leaseweb are likely to lose such customers fast now.
    All MU data hosted on such servers is probably gone forever, like indeed perfectly legal files I uploaded to MU but obviously I'm not the only one...misery loves company :(

20. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

They can't take down crooks that use the internet to steal, but certain business interests can get the powers that be to take down websites.

"Is it justice or you that is blind
    When you don't see it coming, how come?" - from the song "There's A Rhythm" by Ron Sexmith

21. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

When you consider that all of the parties providing "facts" have an agenda of their own, it's hard to tell what is really true.

Back on topic and some food for thought. A lot of people complained about the collateral damage done by groups like Anonymous when they attacked something. Here we have an example of government and business doing just as much collateral damage. I store a few tools on upload sites for those occasions when I need access to them, like an unexpected PC service. Fortunately they weren't on Megaupload. This should make anyone who stores data or apps on cloud servers rethink that choice. Time to finish setting up my own server.

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I don't think those kind of petitions ever get anywhere. :(

I moved my files to SkyDrive several months back and have been using it without issues. The reason was SkyDrive is a far safer bet, with MS investing so much into it and the rest of their cloud services, they can't just shut the entire business down like they can with a sole website like MegaUpload.

23. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I guess it's just matter of time before they also come after Rapidshare, Mediafire, et al

Thanks

24. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip, elapsed :)

25. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Go ahead... put your data on U.S hands... go ahead... :rolleyes: :D That way, they won't need Canada's cooperation. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.