Feds Prep Online Privacy Policy Changes

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi Tom, Good thing you posted this. It's time we wake-up to the fact that Washington wants to eliminate anonymous transactions on the web. They want to track, track, and then track some more.

On another 'track, track, track' front....a new bill has been introduced by Senators Schumer and Cornyn that would require identification and registering of prepaid cell phones. All in the name of preventing "terrorism." As if a terrorist couldn't get a cell phone illegally. Whatever...Big Brother is flexing his muscle.

3. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

secure, private email (e.g. CryptoHeaven or Sub Rosa)

+ privacy friendly OpenVPN provider

+ e-currency service (WebMoney, Liberty Reserve, etc.)

+ offshore e-currency exchanger

+ prepaid virtual debit cards

+ DiskCryptor/TrueCrypt (set up fake OS if living in police state like UK or need to get through customs, esp. US and Australia)

= WIN

CryptoHeaven is incorporated in Dominica (servers in Canada). Sub Rosa is in Panama. WebMoney is in Belize and LR is in Costa Rica.

To defeat keyloggers use YubiKey

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  4. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

5. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Just use PGP/GPG.

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I think that's what it's coming to. In the past decade or so, it seems the Feds can't stand, or maybe they fear, anything they can't control.

8. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

How do we hide VPN connections to entry nodes (e.g., vpngate.FOO.xerobank.com)? Attackers can easily compile lists of entry-node URLs and IPs for all VPN providers, yes? Any security through obscurity, using random IPs and proxies or whatever, is ephemeral. And even if entry nodes remained "secret", having all that encrypted traffic with one IP just isn't typical.

How well do VPN services work in China?

9. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

After a couple readings of the article posted here, as well as some Googling on the "National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace", I still am having a difficult time deciphering precisely what it is the government is trying to do. As usual, these directives are written in typical government obsfucated legalize and very short on details (just a bunch of very broad recommendations).

I see they are researching biometrics and other technologies, but I don't know if these proposals are for the government sector only or if they also wish to force private citizens to "authenticate" themselves. I know some people here are all gung-ho about an "Internet driver's license," so perhaps this is the government's ultimate plan. Of course, such a plan (if it is imposed on private citizens) will fail, as historically all such restrictions of freedoms do. Prohibition, the war on drugs, gun bans, all failures.

The only thing this will result in is the government growing larger, which is just as much a law of nature as is the flow of water downhill.

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

There's little doubt from watching the news, reading various things, etc that the ultimate aim is some kind of control over the Internet. This would effectively contain what is virtually the last area of free speech in America and the world.

For me, having been involved in law enforcement at various levels for well over 30 years, and having to deal with politicians for almost a decade, I think I understand.

A brazen takeover would be unacceptable. So, you begin with baby steps. Tiny infringements here and there under the guise of something else. Later, another tiny infringement, then another and soon you've got most of it - and everyone is left wondering how it happened.

It's best to stop them at the gate. Government is the ultimate Malware. Stop them before they get in the door.

11. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

I have a drivers license, and insurance. And I've only known a few people who've driven without them. I've paid bail for a couple. Just sayin'.

Right. CP, carders, P2P, dissidents et alia.

So, how does one hide their VPN connection o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.