Fedora or Cent OS

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by aigle, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to try another distro besides Ubuntu and after using many of them, I decided to try Fedora.

I just want to know should I go for Fedora or CentOS. I assume they are basically same. Am I true? Which one is better and why? Which one is more user friendly, install and forget type.

Thanks

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

CentOS is more conservative, ultimately more stable, 7 years of support.
    Fedora is bleeding edge, alpha-beta quality usually, 1 year support.

CentOS lags a few kernel versions and app. versions behind Fedora, but with a few extra repositories, you solve the problem easily.

CentOS is my choice.

Mrk

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Seems I wil try Fedora.

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Cent OS 5 give you old look and feel of linux honestly speaking i dont like cent os 5.4 with gnome 2.16 its very old yes its pretty stable but gnome 2.16 :doubt:

wait for centos 6 which comes on gnome 2.28

where fedora is bleeding edge but since fedora 10+ i dont really feel any big issue they make pretty stable release now days

i use fedora as default distro and i feel fedora is very professional and as far i know fedora is most secure distro by default setting.

please check this thread

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=265473

5. mack_guy911

6. katio

katio Guest

CentOS: server, corporate workstation, family PC
    Fedora: enthusiast Desktop OS

I think that title goes to Ubuntu actually
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=281498
    but the main reason is Apparmor vs. SELinux. With the former no one is afraid of using, tweaking and expanding it. With SELinux even senior Linux admins are usually stuck with the default settings, which aren't very restrictive for graphical Desktop applications (alright you said "default" but adding a few profiles for AA is really peace of cake). Add to that the fast Firefox patches, besides the kernel probably the most exploited program and primary point of entry.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Is Fedora considerably harder to use than a noob friendly one like Ubuntu? I'm interested in trying something else, even though I still feel like a Linux beginner :)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will try Fedora in VM I think.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wanted to ask the very same Q?

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No Sir ! I installed CentOS before I even knew my way around Ubuntu and I am still a noob compared to most in this Linux forum.

Main thing is to get to know the basic commands https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1695500&postcount=26 and to visit the wiki(s).
    For CentOS .. http://wiki.centos.org/
    So, Fedora being RH based like CentOS, things should be practically the same.
    The eyecandy in Fedora might be a big bonus for some. I will just wait a while for CentOS 6.
    mack_guy's guides are very useful for sure.

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Some things are definitely different in Fedoraland though. I remember spending almost an hour trying to figure how to elevate permissions when I first tried it back then.

12. mack_guy911

on command mode like ocky said fedora RHEL CENTOS and scientific linux all same but look....different like with fedora you always get what is latest new kernel new gnome..........etc.

honestly speaking i feel fedora more easy than ubuntu :D

katio i mean by default not by setted after installation Apparmor is not loaded by default also no Apparmor profiles is installed by default as far i know in ubuntu.

also in fedora there is pretty good feature i tried today called sandbox

in fedora 13

its was buggy in 12 but in 13 its working great with sandboxed firefox

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/i...-sandbox-for-desktop-applications-812242.html

13. mack_guy911

ocky why not scientific linux o_O??

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Alright thank you for the info. I will try Fedora on the vm probably.

15. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Sounds like a good choice. I tried many linux distributions and found one problem or the other, but then "Fedora Core" , now apparently just Fedora seemed like the one with the least problems and best running (like it back then could find my TV card without problems which non of the other distributions could).
    I like fedora, Hey ! Go get it :D

P.S.
    Recently tried Fedore 13 i386 live KDE - worked like a breeze for me....

16. katio

katio Guest

A few are like dhcpclient but the important ones like Firefox and Evince though they are "installed" aren't enforced.
    That's an easy fix though, much easier than enabling proprietary formats on Fedora ;)

If security is your priority I'd say Ubutnu wins all around for the desktop, for servers Gentoo hardened. Only if you really want to delve deep into SELinux Fedora makes sense form that point of view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.