fedora and operating system default lanuage

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lodore, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello everyone,
    I was trying fedora 9 today 64bit live dvd.
    i installed firefox using the package manager very very easy.
    when i went to a website that needed a plugin it took me to page to get it but still needed manual install such as java,flash etc.

but the main reason why im posting this is the default keyboard setup.
    why do people who create operating systems think everyone lives in the USA?
    i mean even vista now asks at the start of the installer what default lanuage do you want. with ubuntu and kubuntu etc the default keyboard setup is US but if you press the button for more options it allows you to change the keyboard layout before it loads.
    but fedora automatically loads with US keyboard layout.
    i found this out when i was trying to sign in to kopete for msn messenger.
    when i pressed the @ key it typed " instead.
    it said for the lanuage to change for open programs i have to logoff so i logged off and back on and relanched koepete and it didnt change. could be because its a live version. hoping it will be easy for fedora to have an option to change lanuage before it loads like some other distros have.
    it really does annoy me!

i do like fedora alot thou other than that accross the board rubbish that thinks everyone wants US keyboard layout.

im hoping someone can help me with the installing java manauly.
    i downloaded some .rpm files from drweb for an antivirus scanner and i had the option to open with package manager of course they were ment for fedora 7 so didnt install properly but thats not the point.
    why does java come in a java (insert version number here).rpm.bin
    why cant they just give you a rpm file so it will open with package manager and install itself?

i want to learn linux but it can be quite annoying at times.

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Most of your issues are caused by two simple things:
    • Using a live-cd;
    • Using a x64 version.

If you install Fedora it will ask for your regional settings, just like Windows does. Also linux in x64 edition is somewhat more limited in 3rd party software. Mainly just like Windows x64. Fedora x32 has Java by default, and installing Flash is done in several clicks.

If you're a linux beginner, I would recommend you installing it in a virtual machine, and use the x32 version.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Sputnik,
    what vertual machine would you reccomend for use in vista?
    on my old pc i used to use wmware server but the 2.0 vista compatible version is still in beta.
    was hoping it was out of beta because its very good.
    is there any which uninstall cleanly and dont have running services unless your running a virtual machine?

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  4. Sputnik

I would recommend you to give VirtualBox a shot. Just unistall VMware server, reboot and install VirtualBox wich has no services running while not using it. :)

Microsoft Virtual PC (also free) does not support Linux. So no need to try this one for this purpose.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks alot:thumb:
    what window manager do you use gnome,kde or xfce?

6. Sputnik

You are talking about desktop environments (DE) ;)

In the past I used KDE, switched to GNOME around version 2.16. GNOME is very basic but it's stable and well maintained.
    I like the technology behind KDE4 (Qt 4 is so yummy :D ), but it's just not ready for daily usage. Maybe somewhere in 2009. I'll keep an eye on it.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

your right i said the wrong words lol
    the live version of fedora i tryed today had KDE 4.0 i had a kernal error and a crash lol. since im got an old pentium 3 test pc i may install fedora standard installation on that after ive tryed it using virtual box.

8. Sputnik

Just use a standard Fedora (x32) installation with GNOME in VirtualBox, it'll provide you the best "learning environment".

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Why does he have to uninstall VMware Server? The two can coexist nicely.
    Mrk

10. Sputnik

@Mrkvonic
    Since he won't be using VMware server anymore it's best to just uninstall it (due the services running).

Personally I had some problems with VirtualBox and VMware installed at the same time (mainly standby problems), but that's already one year ago.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont think wmware server is fully compatible with vista yet.
    virtual box didnt work properly because it didnt allow me to use my wireless card.
    and even when telling it to host my usb pen at startup if i loaded "computer" in gnome interface when fedora was fully installed it didnt show my usb pen.
    atm im trying to get wmware server 2.0 beta to work.
    but it opens in a webinterface saying i need a certificate and prompting for username and password. i checked all the folder and tryed to install the certificate but didnt work.
    tryed password,password admin,admin admin password etc to try to login.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.