Fedora 3 Problems Not Fixed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by crummock, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crummock

crummock Registered Member

Well, the new build of TrueImage 8 hit the streets 2 weeks ago. I've downloaded and installed build 791, but the problems creating an Image of a Fedora 3 Ext3 partition from the boot disk have not been solved despite the promises from Acronis.

Please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=61078&highlight=fedora

When can I expect a working version of Trueimage again please ?

Thanks
    Rob

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rob,

Please accept our sincere apologies for your inconvenience.

Actually, our Development Team has got the fix for this problem. This fix has been already included into Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux. We will add support for this file system into other Acronis True Image distributions as soon as we can.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. crummock

I appreciat ethe answer. Can you give me some timescales please as it's dissapointing for a product to not be able to do what I have paid for !

Thanks

4. Acronis Support

Hello crummock,

The exact release date is not determined yet because it depends on the results of testing that is currently being performed. As a workaround I can propose you to use sector-by-sector method by the time the new build is released.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. does the latest build 928 fix the fedora3 problem?

6. crummock

build 928 ?

i only see build 791 as the latest.

7. Acronis Support

Hello interesteduser and crummock,

Thank you for your continued interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Apparently, crummock means ordinary versions of Acronis True Image when interesteduser means enterprise version. That is why you are speaking about different build numbers.

We regret to inform you that the problem is not fixed in build 791 yet. However build 928 should work properly with Fedora Core 3. If you still have any problems please let me know about them and I will try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Seems that build 928 still doesn't fix the FC3 issues. I just tried the boot CD for Corp WS, it still doesn't like the ext3 partitions and offers to do it sector-by-sector.

I'm hanging off buying (and upgrading my ageing firewall from RH9 to FC3!) until this is fixed. Maybe the next build of regular TI8....?

A quick question - is there any chance of getting Reiser4/JFS/XFS support in the regular version? I don't really want to buy Corp (and certainly not Enterprise!) as I have no need for all that remote backup agent, SCSI tape, management console etc; but I would like Reiser4 support.....

9. Acronis Support

Hello interesteduser,

Please try to use the latest (930) build and if you still encounter the message that prompts you to create a sector-by-sector image it is likely that your hard disk has bad blocks.

As for Reiser4, JFS and XFS please visit the following page:

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATIESWin/comparison.html

Briefly, the answer is that JFS and XFS are supported by Acronis True Image 8.0 Server and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server, while the latter supports Reiser4 as well.

If you have further questions concerning Acronis software please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. fedorauser

fedorauser Guest

Hello,
    I would like to know if the buil 930 will be able to perform non sector-by-sector imaging of FC3 partitions also with the rescue boot cd.

Thanks in advance,
    Fedora User

11. Acronis Support

Hello Fedora User,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Yes, you will be able to create images of these partitions in non sector-by-sector mode. Please make sure you have created Acronis Bootable CD with the latest build of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

12. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Maybe this is more complicated than I could imagine....

Why wouldn't I want to be able to use Reiser4 on my home workstation (or JFS/XFS for that matter) ?

The prices of the different products are hardly comparable, so simply pointing out the fact that your marketing department have produced a spec sheet is somewhat less of an answer than could be expected...

Thanks

13. Acronis Support

Hello gottadoit,

The reason is that these file systems are very special and are usually used in large servers rather than at home. This is the main cause for the price.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. gottadoit

With respect, the issue of ppl wanting to use reiserfs at the latest version on their home computers need not be confused with the fact that large servers also use the same software

The only reason I can see for its lack of inclusion is a way to artificially differentiate between home use and "large server use" by lack of feature inclusion rather than by licensing terms

Rather than limiting people's choice on their home systems why not simply set the license terms so that it doesn't matter either way

In terms of why some people want to use Reiser4 at home, it might well be because we run large servers at work :)

Thanks

15. No, build 930 still does not fix the Fedora 3 issue, I just tried it.

As for the other partition types, I would agree that they should all be included in the regular version, mainly because us Linux types like to tinker - we like trying out new filesystems, and heck, we even write the code that's creating those filesystems, for free!

We're not doing anything "corporate", so why should we have to pay for a corporate/enterprise license (which I assume includes a site license too?) Surely the remote admin etc. differentiates the home/corporate products enough?

Maybe you could see adding the filesystems to TI8 as giving something back to the Linux community that allowed you to create TrueImage in the first place ;)

And back on topic - if you can't fix ext3, we need to use another filesystem, why should we have to pay more?

16. Fedora User

Fedora User Guest

Hi,
    I've just tried the 930 build of the corporate edition but, with the rescue cd, non sector imaging is impossible to me with FC3.

Is there any know version that works with the rescue-cd on FC3?

Regards,
    Fedora User

17. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Could you please send a letter to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and indicate in the subject that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. I will try to help you with the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

18. Just confirmed that builds 796 and 993 still haven't fixed this issue.

19. sorry meant 933

20. gottadoit

Ilya,
    How about creating a poll and seeing how people respond to the suggestion ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.