Fedora 16 Verne with Gnome 3 - Absolute disappointment

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The Autumn Fever continues. This is a review of Fedora 16 Verne with the Gnome 3 desktop, focusing on live CD, installation and post-install use, Wireless, Samba sharing, Fedora Utils, applications, multimedia playback, system resources, suspend & resume, stability, including many problems like slow network, timeouts, bad visual integration, blurry theme and icons, politics mixed intro software, and more. Enjoy. Or not.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-16.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I quite like gnome 3, however I completely agree with your review of fedora. How they can promote it as a desktop ready stable OS is beyond me. A developer OS? Yes. Stable production OS? No way.
    Fedora is a redhat testing ground and should be treated as such. That thing will break sooner or later. That's not to say it's bad though. Redhat and Fedora are at the forefront of pushing new foss technologies which is fantastic but, it aint for the masses. For desktop one must look at stable well supported distributions, Fedora is a plaything for tweakers and developers.
    It's a real shame because I think Fedora could be an amazing OS.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm confused.

4. parsec

parsec Registered Member

/local/galaxy_cluster/milky_way/sol_system/earth
    I know i'm not getting back to Fedora after I installed CentOS on the lappy. It's just rock solid, and i love the long life cycle.

5. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

@ Mrkvonic

I gave gnome 3 the benefit of the doubt, and I remembered that I was scolding you for criticizing it. Now after its release I realized that you were telling the truth. Why gnome 3 came to be as is, is beyond me. Fedora 16 only added to the pain, unfortunately. Anyway, great review as usual.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

But..but...but CentOS and Sc. Linux will eventually also use Gnome 3. One can only hope that by that time it will be more polished and user orientated.

I must say Kubuntu is looking better and better.

7. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Well said, and it is good to have hope.

Thanks.

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

then problem is not fedora but gnome 3 ..........i feel the same way about open suse gnome 3 sorry i am not against gnome 3................. many may love it

but it still feel and looks like beta many tweaks needed to be done on gnome 3 then may be

9. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

It did run like a dream at that point. Then there was 2 kernel updates in the space of 2 days which totally borked my system. Therefore, I suddenly remembered why I have given up on fedora in the past. I can't be arsed to fight a system anymore. I should have known better really!

10. noons

noons Registered Member

Im sorry, but these reviews are just unfair.. Its your site you can put what you want on it, but everything you complain about = gnome 3. If you cant get past how gnome 3 runs and interacts then you shouldnt be doing distro reviews based upon it. I am by no means a fedora fan (dont run it) and I am still undecided if gnome 3 is the right direction, but I do look at what they are trying to acheive. They want users to interact with their desktops DIFFERENTLY. One thing you always complain about is no minimize button. ITS NOT NEEDED. The whole point in gnome 3 is to utilize the peek feature. Your desktop is supposed to be now cluttered with windows (NOT SHORTCUTS!) and to get a quick tiled organized view you go to the peek and you arrange your opened applications there. Your literally supposed to just stack windows and/or move them between desktops. This is supposed to improve multitasking, and in some ways (after a lot of practice) I do find myself multistasking and dealing with multiple windows (5+) a lot easier.

Anyway the whole point of this is your biased towards gnome 3 (which again is fine its your site) but dont review a distro and blame it on them. Also whether you like it or not gnome 3 is geared towards a different direction and whether you like it or not distros that include gnome are going to have to embrace it.

11. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Hello Beavenburt,

I use the following command in Fedora 15/16 to avoid problematic update/upgrade:

Code:
    #yum update --skip-broken

:cool:

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Doesn't Fedora distinguish between experimental and other updates?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.