fedora 15 beta

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lodore, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Fedora has finally sorted out something in anaconda that has annoyed me for ages. if you type a full name in to the first box in anaconda on older versions it will then make you type in a short version as well. other distro installers including debian add your first name in to the username box with non caps.
    Its now possible to add the user account created during installation to sudo by a simple tick box.
    getting time from ntp is now ticked as default.

im trying the beta with kde because i dont really like Gnome3

I hope yum will include better rollback functionally soon especially for the sake of the very likely breakages that happen with fedora. i9n fedora 10 I think it was i done a network manager update and wireless wouldnt work. the only way to rollback was to download an older version of network manager and sort out its dependencies manually...
    other package management systems have rollback commands. I think Conary and pacman both have rollback options.
    I know at one point fedora was toying with the idea of using the file snapshots from Btrfs. the issue with that is that it rolls back alot more than just the package management. if you dont have a seperate home directory and do a snapshot rollback you will lose data which isnt good. the chance of network manager breaking wireless in rhel,scientific,centos etc is less likely due to the more stable nature but its still possible and having to manually sort out dependencies s not something I would like to have to do.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. korben

korben Registered Member

mack_guy911, getting all ready for Fedora 15 soon to be released? :)

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hahaha korben sure

lodore hows your experience with fedora 15 kde i want to check that distro as well after using kde in opensuse 11.4 i kinda become fan of kde :D

i also considering posting my comment on Fusion and Funduntu as they are great fedora remixes

last but not least also looking for this one as well

Qubes OS

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=298409

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.