Fedora 12 Constantine - Mixed feelings

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Fedora time ...

I've written a very long and extensive review of Fedora 12 Constantine, with Gnome desktop, including live CD experience, installation, and post-install usage, covering a wide array of topics like Wireless, Bluetooth, applications, looks & fonts, usability, extra repositories (autoten, easyLife, RPMforge, RPM fusion), multimedia playback (Windows video, MP3, Flash), Compiz Fusion, package management (PackageKit, Presto), stability, kernel and application crashes, performance, laptop modes (suspend & hibernate), security (firewall, SELinux, sandbox-X, permissions), Samba sharing, proxy support, problems, and more.

You should find this rather interesting.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-12.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

One correction. You said in your review:

The Sandbox-X utility is SELinux. They are one and the same. Sandbox-X is merely a way to use SELinux to lock down userspace apps easily. Read more about it from the guy who invented it here. And you get AVC denials when trying to run Sandbox-X, you might want to file a bug.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Sandbox-X is a utility that uses Xephyr + SELinux. However, the enforced mode prevents it from being used as intended, which is a bit contraditory to its own existence.
    Mrk

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I gave up trying to use Fedora a while back when they started requiring ATI users to use --nomodeset in the bootup string before you could even reach Desktop. No such problem with other distros...so bye bye Fedora. Didn't like their package manager anyway (same for Suse, as well). But it is a grand old distro.

Later...

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thankyou Mrk

Fedora: why ?

FWIW, lol, F12 'default install' is the release I've had the least trouble with: my requirements different to yours.
    Still dont feel quite 'stable' : but :shifty: noone likely to care much ?? :D , and, I cant run those metrics easily.
    Not nearly as brittle as earlier releases for me.
    Another site I quite like along with Dangermouse:
    http://www.mjmwired.net/
    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/

I hope your dialogue with Fedora is fruitful.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

What card do you have? Mine's a Mobility Radeon HD 3450. I haven't tried installing it to hard drive yet, but the Fedora 12 KDE live environment booted flawlessly via USB for me without any tweaking.

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Hey, Eice
    On my Sony laptop S360 I have a Mobility Radeon 9700. On my Desktop (self built) I have an X1650 with 512 mbs of ram. I also have a spare ATI 9600 with 128 mbs of ram. Same --nomodeset required for all of them. Of course it's been a while since I've tried Fedora. Version 11 was the last time I tried it, if I recall correctly. Also, I always install the Gnome version (can't really stand KDE...;) ).

Might give it a go with my T4200 Lenovo and see how it goes.

Later

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I can't either, to be honest. I just wanted to find out why everyone seems to be raving about how cool KDE 4 is. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.