Feb 2005 UK magazine AV test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by I who know nothing, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Not nice, RejZor.

I do not like the way there are so many features that you can check and uncheck. It makes it very hard for the rest of the family to use.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, but in avast! pro the advanced interface should be improved a lot, in my opinion...

3. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I agree with you RejZoR but it would be nice if the new and improved NOD32 version will have a bit better ouset: just call the things what they are Resident Module, MS Office Module, Internet Monitor and Scan Module, or something like that. Makes it more understandable.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Same opinion here :)

For us could be perfect, but for newbies a lot of buttons could be a nightmare because they didn't know what to do...

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I already suggested this... :)

Let we see what's happen...

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Oh my, here we go again with that test versus this test versus some other test in which "all tests I have seen" is undefined, & sometimes is used to refer to just those tests that suit one's particular point of view. :p

To throw castor oil on the fire, I take note that AVG (Grisoft) outdistanced Avast (Alwil) on VB's tests headed "Windows XP Professional Jun 04." On the other hand, Avast & AVG were both surpassed by AntiVir on the AV Comparatives for 2/2005 as shown by attached screenshot. And round & round we go. :cool:

Please link ONLY to our main site www.av-comparatives.org and not to the other subpages.
    It's forbidden to use/provide our test results/documents/comments on other sites without our permission. If you find anything on other sites, please inform the forum/site admin to remove it.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2005
  7. IBK

IBK AV Expert

EDIT: thanks ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  8. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I made the mistake of installing F-Secure a month ago. Not only did I see about 14 processes clogging up my system, but when I uninstalled it, it didn't uninstall everything and my net connection was hosed.

Turned out, only a format would fix it.

Never again will I examine an F-Secure product.

9. f32-2

f32-2 Guest

>>>> F-Secure is a relatively new discovery for us, and when we fi rst saw its anti-virus software last year we were impressed with its excellent detection ability and friendly interface. <<<<

ROFLMFAO! Last year they heard of f-secureo_O lol lol lol ... no comment!

I agree that NOD32 need to change its interface! AMON, IMON... really does not mean anything...
    They should make new simple interface like Panda Titanium or Ewido... but leave option to switch to old style for users who like it.
    They should add detection of spywares in resident scanner and also automatocally cure for on-demand scanner with ALL-FILES on by default.

10. m.oreilly

m.oreilly Registered Member

the nod interface is fine, my 13 year old daughter had a trial version on her rig,
    it made complete sense to her (she doesn't like imon "on"), and set things to her
    tastes. i LIKE nods' options (god, avgs' "new"interface"?), waiting for nod x64 version.

11. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Unfortunately that's only life. After when you are 13 year old, the human ability to adopt new tasks is decreasing drastically. The more age we have, the less things we can adopt. That's why, "KISS", keep it simple stupid, rocks!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But just to be on the safe side, I would still keep a close eye on her computer :ninja: :eek: :eek:

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well....I am only 13 myself y'know - and I do know to set my AV up as I desire, safe and secure ;)

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I do not agree - I do not think it is needed. If users click on it, they can read:
    AMON: Resident protection
    DMON: MS Office document monitor
    EMON: MS Outlook email monitor
    IMON: Internet monitor

Or the users can take 10 minutes to read the manual ;) , which should be done anyway; after doing that peoples should theoretically not say that an AV is complicated to use (that's also a reason why I do not understand why magazines do say that that the GUI of some AVs are difficult and do penalize them for that - for me it is the user fault if he do not read the manuals, and not a reason to give to the AVs lower rates). Just my opinion... :)

16. RejZoR_Clone

RejZoR_Clone Guest

bellgamin,we all know why avast! failed on June 2004. Stupid reason belive me. And just VB100% logo doesn't mean anything. Check other detections % or polymorphics where avast! kicks AVG all the way.

17. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Even if avast! failed just because of it missed 50% of ITW sample by its developer's ignorance so that's definitely meaningless for today.

It's useless to talking about the past, we live with the present.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.