Feature Request

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Phil, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Registered Member

What do you guys (generic :D) think about having the ability to log ALL the processes that access the 'net or activate a socket? You know the ones I am talking about -- the sneaky little apps that load a dll or sub-app, send and/or receive a little data, then shut down. Unless you just happen to be watching the PE GUI when it happens or running a seperate logging util, you never know it happens. How are you going to sniff it to see what it is doing if you don't know it is loading and shutting down? If Port Explorer had a running log, it would be a simple matter. You could then save or clear the log or it could be set to a max size so new PIDs in the list would overwrite older items.

I think it would make PE a much more complete investigative and security tool. What do you think?

Phil

2. controler

controler Guest

Yes it would be a nice feature. It could be a flashing warning with a capture of the info. There could be a guidline setup as to what to look for , such as a time frame.
    I still think only a log would require too much looking on the users part.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello Phil & Controller,
    This is on my wish list also, when beta testing I mentioned logging. I was informed that some form of logging will be incorporated in a future release.
    Agreed it would be the icing on a very nice cake!

Pilli

4. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Pilli,

That's GREAT news -- I hope they add it in soon. IMO, the ability to catch the intermittent processes starting up and shutting down would double the value of Port Explorer. For my part, they could take out the CLI utils (ping, whois, etc) if they would just add that process logging! I prefer to hide in a corner and do the ping-tracrt stuff from a web interface anyway. :D

Phil

5. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

As long as we are making a wish list here are the 2 I turned in to Diamond:

In the main window make it scrollable with a mouse scroll button even when nothing is selected.

In Socket Spy make it resizeable or enable the maximize button, and make all panes scrollable when the cursor is over them.

These are just my first 2 requests, of many more to come. Now that I think about it, what with Port Explorer being such a well thought out product, there might not be that many requests.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I like the automatic whois, so would not like to miss it and to have the trace/ping at hand, once it's there and nice, no reason to take them out at all!
    I would like the ability of logging toggle on/off at wish or select overwriting at a max size, such things.

I can scroll through each window if the window is longer then the size shown, with the mouse button if i like.
    How do you like in the meantime the mouseless way of gliding through the menus with Alt+ a character? Hope in a next version the tabs and other buttons in the main GUI will be included to change sorting order etc.
    With the knowledge you all have by now with TDS and the msagents with voice commands, you might like to make it voice commanded that way.
    I'm not on XP yet, so i don't know if the built-in voice command option works just for dictation in Word or that you can use it everywhere on your system.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Did you see when posting a message here and opening PE you see all kinds of links to the many messengers people have added to their profiles? I see yahooagent, ICQ, MSN messengers, etc etc in the "remote" at PE.
    So all is registered! :)

8. Phil

Phil Registered Member

I think you misunderstood my intent. I like having the utils in PE and would not want them removed. What I was trying to say was *IF* I had to choose between having the utils or logging, the logging would be my choice. I think it is THAT important.

Agreed. It needs to be user choice and selectable.

Phil

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yeah, i understood but reacted differently :)
    Would love the logging and with some configuration options. At the moment we can freeze the screen to save that moment or take a screenshot, but as many have it running minimized we could miss some strange facts in between which a log will show.

10. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi,

Could the number of sockets and there breakdown like ( System, Hidden, Normal ) be shown when you hover the mouse pointer over the Port Explorer tray icon. Currently this shows the version and who the program is Registered too. :D

Loki :cool:

11. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes, I like that idea Loki, its not like you need to know its Port Explorer I guess :). That will be in next version.
    -Jason-

12. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Most Excellent :D

Thanks

Loki :cool:

13. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

How about when you Disable Sending or Recieving on a certain program or socket, the settings would be saved so it didn't have to be done each time PE is run? Steve

14. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Beetlejuice, Port Explorer does remember the send/recv blocking until a reboot. You can send/recv block a socket, close down the PE app and restart it later and it will still be blocked as long as the socket didn't close in the mean time.

I guess it would be good to have a firewall style list of apps/sockets you can block even after a reboot, I'll have a look into it.
    -Jason-

15. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Hi Guys. Once again thanks for a GREAT program. :D It's just what I had been looking for. Just thought of something else I would like to see. How about a "Start Minimized" setting? Thanks
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.