feature list comparison with RollBack Rx

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by besonen, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Yours too danny9.

When something works well for you theres no sense in changing it. Just some permanant bug fixes would be nice in Rollback Rx. The rest is my ideas but not neccessary since FD-ISR does it all for me.

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hello
    Guess this thread has pretty much played out...
    I haven't had Rollback installed for some time...been going with FDISR as safety net. The release of V8 (heh with the 50% discount is making me think again about how I can include this utility to my benefit...

Chris 1293
    This is an issue/are aspects that have not gone away.

@Peter
    Heh: I know you love testing, and we often benefit: but :eek:
    Lets see a batch file for that !! :D

I know you have predicated this with "if I have a problem" but, forgive me, this seems incredibly complex and prone to ( in my case anyway :gack: ) wetware failure. Too many clicks in the correct sequence at the wrong time of the day = ...oh buggrit.. :ouch:

How is this better than VMWare, fdisr and BING SP ?, or combo of same. You have tested FDISR to extremes. Rollback does NOT image well.
    I can see the advantage of superfast snaps.

There seems little doubt that RBRx and FDISR have their uses,
    on balance to my way of thinking:
    FDISR:
    Cons: space issues, speed of new snaps, recent support issues.
    Pros: Reliability, saves wetware by default.

RBRx:
    Cons: messes with MBR, file indexing system not amenable to most imaging tools, RARE but catastrophic failure, s l o w offline snap save. (Prolly only BING/IFW/IFD in 'raw' copy mode ( ?Paragon) could save multiple snaps?) Imaging utility needs to save from track 0 to save RBRx intact.
    Preboot recovery: but to where?

Pros: FAST, multiple snaps = very cool (could be a con if you got lost :cautious: )
    New version seems more stable.

Obviously both tools have their uses and supporters.

@silver 0066: what else do you have installed for recovery and how is it configured. ??

Maybe VMWare and RBRX in several copies of base line vm will be a top solution for testing ??

...bumbling along as usual...2c here and there

Regards.

3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

@Longboard

Sorry to hear your troubles. I have used Rollback version 7 and 8 both on Xp Pro and Vista Home Premium. None of the configs have lost data. But again any program including FDISR and others (ATI) can have issues to cause data loss. So although unforunate data can be lost by many programs. *please no FDISR comments like yea but I can store snapshots offline* because you can also do that with Rollback 8. Maybe not as fast or easy but it can be done. I don't think I overhype Rollback. I think I give concrete proof (correct me if I'm wrong). I have never said Rollback is more stable than FDISR or easier to store offline snapshots. I just listed facts. I tell people rollback works great for me with no data loss and I recommend it over FDISR.
    FDISR is a great program I do not say otherwise.

Thanks,

Chris

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Chris1293
    No specific issues here with RB since early issues with V7 to do with imaging and restores. Atm I just dont use it (found the install exe in a folder the other day after these threads stirred my interest again) but as noted: always open to other options if they work good.

Out of interest: you obviously have no problems with ATI and RB?

Again, ooi, are you using english version of Viguard?: a utility which has always intrigued me but has been a bit elusive to date: do you have a link to english versions for dl or support? heh: might install into an RB snap. ;)

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have been using FD-ISR for two years with no data loss. FD-ISR is as stable as they get. I started using Rollback v7 in July 2006 along with FD-ISR and had chkdsk problems with Rollback that trashed my system, and I sent Rollback back for a refund. Earlier this year I trialed V8 and it worked great for a couple of weeks. I then purchased 3 licenses for it. Several weeks later, it trashed two of my computers due to chkdsk problems. I then switched back to the updated V7 and have been using it without incident for about 2 months now.

I am NOT fully confident that Rollback won't trash my system again. If it does, I still have ATI and FD-ISR archives to restore my system quickly.

I would NEVER recommend Rollback over FD-ISR to anyone. However, using both in combination with a good imaging program has enhanced my computing experience and with FD-ISR and ATI, I am very confident that my system can be easily recovered if Rollback has another chkdsk failure.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You kind of summarized my feelings. I've had no issues with V8, but I am also running on unsupported Raid 0. I can also say with early Rollback I did lose data. I've encountered several serious bugs with FDISR(which have been fixed) but even with that no data loss.

Rollback does work, it recovered from an unbootable system. But it is nice having SP and FDISR in the background, just in case.

Pete

7. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I had chkdisk problems with Rollback 7.2.1 but no data loss that I know of. Now using version 8 so far with no problems but I am always wondering when this problem might come again. Giving Rollback another chance to see if it will be stable because I love its advantages in being a system restore function on steroids so to speak. Have not tried FD-ISR yet but keeping it in mind always. SP image backing up all just in case of disaster.

Gary

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm just curious. Is this because you ran chkdsk whilst RollBack was installed? I only ask because I've never run chkdsk on Windows XP.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR is worth $69 considering its reliability and possibilities, but RollbackRx doesn't deserve that price at all, $25 would be more reasonable. :)

10. Chris12923

Somehow I knew you'd chime in. Yes FDISR is worth 69.00 and please tell me beside this stability issue that very few people are having with Rollback what are these possibilities that FDISR has that Rollback doesn't. I keep hearing you say FDISR is the greatest thing since sliced bread so please tell me about all these possibilities.

Thanks,

Chris

11. Peter2150

When it runs it runs because windows detects it is needed. Sometimes with crashes it causes a chkdsk.

12. Peter2150

Erik, Im afraid that really isn't a valid statement. Since I've installed v8 it's worked perfectly, and it is indeed quicker, and easier. No doubt I like having FDISR in the background, but still Rollback is doing fine for me at this point.

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think we can argue the merits of both programs till the cows come home, but it's obvious both have their benefits. They are different programs with similar goals in mind. It is even possible to run both on the same machine if one so wished.

One of the moderators over at HD forums said this in answer to why HD are supplying a "competing" product:
    I'm not sure people would have 40k snapshots anyway, but I think the point he was trying to make is that there are different needs and either one of the products will suit one individual/group better than others.

Please can we stop this FD-ISR/RollBack back-biting? Both are excellent products in their own right, and will suit one person more than another, but let's call a halt to the "my product is better than yours" form of discussion this has turned into in parts.

I'm sorry, but I just felt it needed saying.

14. Chris12923

@Tony

I understand what you are sayinf. I originally only posted features rollback had FDISR disn't because thats what the OP asked for. Then it appeared instead of comparisons some people started a little bashing not comparing so i had to jump in. The last post from me was not saying either product was better but asking Erik what are all the possibilities he keeps mentioning. There is really nothing besides RAID support for FDISR that gives FDISR any more possibilities that I can think of. But I'm fine with what your saying since none of this helps the OP. Although it does help FDISR resellers so they are happy I'm sure :)

Thanks,

Chris

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

This is really a biased statement. As I had said many times, both are not better software, just different. We can choose what we like for our needs.

No need to make such a biased statment. You should heed the wise advice of TonyW given to Chris and it should really apply to you too.

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'd like to point out I wasn't aiming my comments just specifically at Chris. :)

I'm just aware of what has been said in certain parts of this discussion by a few people, and I could see it possibly rearing its ugly head again hence I felt I needed to say something for the benefit of all who read here.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Point me to one time where FD-ISR could possibly make for data loss, "IF" a user has also taken the wise decision to ARCHIVE any snapshots to alternative media.

I can kill FD-ISR AND all it's directory snaps plus archives and still be back up and running again COMPLETELY INTACT in literally minutes.

I think you just don't want to admit the facts which are obvious. FD-ISR was specifically designed AGAINST any such occurances as data loss as but just one of it's many valuable and reliable features.

I like to see Rollback Rx prove the same dependability. It can't.

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

*Tony bangs head on wall*

Why do I bother? *sighs*

19. Chris12923

See Tony I tried to leave it alone :p

Easter maybe you haven't heard (I'm sure you have but just don't like to listen) Rollback 8 can also archive snapshots offline. You can also be up in running in minutes. How many times do I have to say that? Maybe the archive takes longer to restore from offline drive than say FDISR (Im not sure) but it can still be done.

@ Tony

Since obvioulsy some people don't like to listen. This is my last post here unless someone has a question worthy of an answer.

@ Original Poster

Sorry we went a little OT in your thread but in a way you are probably learning things about both programs. Again whichever one you choose you are making a wise decision. They are both good programs. So let us know when your up and running and what you think of whichever one you choose.

EDIT: @ Erik

Feel free to PM me with all those possibilities that your talking about since I'm not posting in this thread anymore. Also cc the thread if youd like.

Thanks,

Chris

20. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I laugh now at this thread since the maker of RBX also owns FD-ISR!

Now all these competitions sound like do i hate this company or like it because one of their products i like and one i hate lol.

Oh well now Horizon DataSys makes money both ways :D.

Also is their any price difference between Horizon DataSys and Raxco?

21. Chris12923

I think they are the same prices.

Thanks,

Chris

22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

FD-ISR remains the Superior of these two no matter what straws are grabbed at to support some lame brain theory that your data is safest with Rollback Rx.

When any program destroys or otherwises locks you away from accessing your data normally, that program is highly suspect to repeat that occurance again.

Rollback Rx still has bugs not yet addressed and AFAIK is a real & present danger to some systems as already evident by many others who have also suffered ill results from use of it.

Just because you say it works for you i don't believe you also haven't experienced some difficulty at one point or another because you give the dubious impression that you would likely just switch snapshots and not concern yourself over the loss of other snapshots afterwards that are deleted after that point.

Untill they fully examine and choose to re-evaluate Rollback Rx's issues to repair them, i warn against it's use if you're a user who values your data.

23. Peter2150

I don't know if it was partially because of the Raid 0, but I had to pull Rollback off my system. A program hung on install and I had to power reset. Rollback ran it's improper power down disk check, and then chkdsk ran. Took almost 15 minutes and I saw some error corrections the likes of which I haven't seen before. After chkdsk finished system rebooted, and Rollback reran it's own disk check again. There after system stayed in a reboot loop. I intervened and selected a prior snapshot, and to it's credit Rollback rebooted okay. But at that point I just couldn't trust the file system condition so I did the image restore/fdisr recovery and removed it.

I also discovered Rollback was causing a terrible boot lag others have reported.

Can I say this wouldn't have happened without the Raid 0. Don't know, but at this point, I'd say given HorizonDatasys's position on Raid, even if it does work on your system, beware.

Note, I am posting this to make people aware, but please don't use this for another round of Rollback bashing.

Pete

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

What people are Confusing about FirstDefense-ISR and Rollback Rx is that they are intended for 2 entirely different Enviroments, FirstDefense-ISR is Aimed at Businesses, While Rollback Rx is Commercially Aimed at Consumers

FirstDefense-ISR is an Instant System Recovery solution that has been designed for enterprise and mid-range servers and mission critical workstations, running Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003 operating systems. FirstDefense-ISR functions transparently and allows administrators to quickly restore their systems to any complete predefined configuration. No special hardware is required. Furthermore, you do not require special CMOS, or additional disk partitions to be created. FirstDefense-ISR works on single or multi-partitioned systems, fully supporting RAID 0, 0+1, 5, and/or in clustering environments.

Specifications
    Size: 5.54 MB
    Price: $69 (PC Version)
    Platforms:
    Win 2000, XP and Vista

"... Any business that needs high availability to their servers and workstations without expensive software/hardware solutions will find this software extremely useful. Even if your company has already implemented a backup recovery system this software complements all imaginable recovery scenarios and shortens time-to-recovery beyond your wildest expectations..."

John C Craig – Microsoft Press

FirstDefense-ISR performs full-system backups for the purpose of immediate system recovery. The concept was developed as a result of years of listening to IT professionals concerned about having to deal with non-recoverable Windows blue screens, service pack installs going awry, and critical files becoming corrupted. These occurrences render the system unbootable and data is inaccessible until the problem is repaired.

FirstDefense-ISR periodically (and transparently) takes snapshots of the current state of the user’s system and applications software. It has the capability of storing up to ten point-in-time snapshots. Following a system crash, the user can immediately fall back to the most recent and uncorrupted snapshot. This reduces the MTTR to virtually zero and enables users and IT staff to instantly repair system crashes without the loss of productivity that results from extensive downtime.

Rollback is for Desktop Computers:

RollBack Rx™ is a robust system restore utility that enables home users and IT professionals to easily restore a PC to a time before certain events occurred. RollBack Rx makes it easy for users of all skill levels to quickly and easily repair PC issues - saving time, money and PC trouble. With RollBack Rx you can...

Reverse any system crash (even if Windows can't startup)
    Backout of any failed software installations, botched update etc.
    Reverse user errors manually, or set Restore-on-Reboot or Log-off
    Roll back minutes, hours, or even months.
    Roll backwards and forwards to any system snapshot
    Allows users to safely test any software. Fast, 100% clean uninstaller
    Roll-back, yet recover files from your "future" snapshot(s)
    Retrieve files from a crashed PC, even if it can not boot into Windows.
    Access control - prevent unauthorized users from accessing any RollBack Rx functions
    Automatically schedule snapshots or hard drive restores at set intervals
    Day Zero Disaster Recovery with no data loss
    Group Management and Enterprise Network Administration Control

Quick Links

RollBack vs System Restore

Perfect Uninstaller utility

Continuous Data Backup Solution

Disaster Recovery Solution

Enterprise Network Solution

Your Complete Windows System Restore Solution - Windows System Restore can only restore Windows "System Files" and "Some" Program files. RollBack Rx functions at the sector level of the hard drive and restores every bit of data - in essence making your PC a virtual time-machine.

Full Details are shown here:

http://www.horizondatasys.com/253715.ihtml

And Here:

http://www.horizondatasys.com/169614.ihtml

FirstDefense-ISR takes up consideravly more Disk Space for snapshots, as its designed to encorporate Networks with 1 Terabyte Drives and Above

While Rollback Rx will Increment snapshots to consolodate disk space which is more acceptable for people with typical hard drive space on there Desktop/Laptop Computers. Therefore for the Average user Rollback is the more Logical Choice.

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

DVD, you say that FD is aimed at the business world, whereas I believe it to be far more flexible than that.

Homeusers can, and do, benefit greatly from using FD.

While I agree that it can give the business user protection from financial loss due to downtime, the home user also can experience a "peace of mind" environment where software testing, and system recovery problems can be dealt with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.