FDISR & Shadow protect

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Indeed your experience and grnxnm had convinced me a change was worth looking at but ...... not with that level of support interest

2. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Sorry guys, we'll get to this issue as soon as higher priority issues are resolved. It's in our queue.

No matter how large your business grows, time and manpower will always be scarce resources. If we had infinite resources we would be addressing this issue now, but our resources are currently tied up working on tasks with much higher priority. We generally prioritize things based on the impact (number of users/customers who are affected) and unfortunately for FD-ISR users, we have (as far as we know) almost no users in our current install base who concurrently use both FD-ISR and ShadowProtect. I can only ask for your patience on this one. We will get to it.

3. starfish_001

Thanks for the reply I value your input in the forums a great deal they are always instructive

but in my case I basically recieved no support for a incident....due to a clash centered around a VSS, with good support I would have been recovered and changed over to RSS.

I'm simply don't care if I use RSS or VSS a fix is not important to me support is - that cost SC at least a handful of sales for my machines and any friends or collegues.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@starfish_001

Update?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Guys.

Raxco sent me a debug version from the "developers" I've run it and returned logs to them. Waiting on next step.

Pete

6. screamer

screamer Registered Member

That's great Pete. I'd like to see this conflict cleared up once & for all.

...screamer <-- going to shovel some snow

7. Peter2150

Just an update.

Developers are still working on it. We have had several back and forth exchanges. IE, them sending me something to try, me trying, and sending back logs. Work is going on.

Will keep you all posted.

8. Longboard

Great thx for pursuing this. :thumb:

9. starfish_001

as for Storage Craft I gave up after a couple of chase emails - they are not interested I assume - oddly I'm not interesting giving them any money

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Not getting a reply to your emails, doesn't mean anything. They don't have always the time to reply to emails and if they know it already, they are going to spend more time on fixing it, than replying to emails.
    I've sent two emails to Raxco in total, they didn't reply either and Raxco's support has always been praised into heaven at Wilders. I don't really care about that and I won't ditch FDISR for that.
    If they find the contents of my emails important enough, they will remember it, when the time is right.

11. starfish_001

Your choice of course but I don't use products that don't provide me support - last time I installed SP it left the machine unbootable. I'd expect support for that ..

as for Raxco they have always replied within a couple of days

12. Peter2150

The conflict between FDISR using VSS and ShadowProtect Desktop is now fixed. Did the last test on programs from Raxco today. Man they have been keeping busy with new stuff to test, but they got it. New files will be in next build, but should be available from Raxco by request.

While I agree that a brush off isn't right, turns out Storagecraft couldn't have done anything anyway.

Pete

13. Longboard

Outstanding :thumb:

Leapfrog/Raxco rocks; remarkable work.
    They have really been able to deal with virtually everything we have been able to throw at them.
    I hope the FDISR sales are going well. :)

You mean an update release or just ask for a new version?

There must be a few "custom" builds out and about by now.
    I got a modified version for conflicts with CyberHawk and protected drivers:
    Pete, do you know if there will be a sort of compiled update with "all" the mods that we have been pursuing?

?Waiting for all these mods to be incorporated in the "vista" release.

Thx Pete
    Regards.

14. Peter2150

Can't answer the update question. All I was told is the would be in the next release. No other info. Like I said if you need the SP versions, I am sure Raxco would provide them.

Sure can't debate, that they are outstanding when it comes to support.

Irony is the problem really didn't affect me that much, I just couldn't bear a conflict between my two favorite programs.

Pete

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Another reason for me to put ShadowProtect next in line, when I'm getting tired of Acronis True Image. :)

16. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Peter. Does this mean you have changed back to VSS now, or are you staying with RSS? Must admit I am finding RSS a bit quicker now I have changed. Any advantage to VSS that you know of?

17. Peter2150

Actually no. I also find RSS a bit quicker. But this way the issue is fixed for the day we may not have a choice. As I said above I didn't like seeing any conflict between my to favorite recovery programs. They are a team.

Pete

18. Longboard

@Peter2150
    Forgot to add: kudos to you for pursuing this.

Heh: Peter rocks
    Regards

19. Peter2150

Thanks Longboard. You are right though about Raxco/Leapfrog. I've lost count of the number of exe's that came my way and the log files that went back. I always find it a learning experience because of the things they send to try.

In all fairness, when there is a genuine ShadowProtect issue, while normal storagecraft issues are iffy, grnxnm is pretty johnny on the spot with help.

Pete

20. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

The real advantage of VSS is that any VSS-compliant writers (apps that produce data and are aware of the VSS framework and work with it, such as Exchange, MS SQL, Oracle, IIS, etc) will quiesce when the snapshot is established. This results in nice clean backups. However, if you're a home user it's unlikely that you'll have these types of apps installed on your system so the biggest benefit of VSS is that the images taken will have the filesystem in a flushed/clean state. For NTFS this isn't so important. For FAT it can be very nice. Some programs such as ShadowProtect will ensure that the filesystem is flushed and clean even if VSS is not used. I don't know if FDISR does this as well. If FDISR doesn't, and if you're using FAT, you would probably benefit by using VSS even if you aren't running any of those server products.

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

FirstDefense only works with NTFS.

Acadia

22. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Okay, thanks for the info! :)

23. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

So does that mean that you can still use VSS with shadow protect and FDISR or are you still needing to switch to using RSS instead?

24. Peter2150

With the released versions, you would need to switch to RSS. If you really want to run FDISR in VSS with SP you will need to contact Raxco support, and get the "Fix"

25. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

So if you've already made snapshots with VSS and switched to using RSS would it do something bad to the snapshots?? What about when importing archives from a USB hard drive that were created using VSS and now switched to RSS and wanting to import them, would it not bring over all info from the archive? According to another post if you use some certain server software there is a conflict with using RSS. Thinking of just getting the fix from raxco and staying with VSS. However if ATI 10 works with VSS just fine along with FDISR and they don't fight over it then why is Shadow protect so much better than ATI when you have to get fixes for shadow protect to work right with FDISR and ATI you don't? What issues don't you like about ATI?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.