FDISR no activation anymore ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Huupi, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Now FDISR in his current incarnation is on the verge of extinction and vendor will drop any support in near future, what do you think guys about things like activation,i have some install exe files archived but i guess that if there is no activation scheme anymore our FDISR copies become useless,i am quite worried about because i dont wonne loose this little gem.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I always assumed that FDISR has no activation, but that doesn't mean anything to me. FDISR might have a date, like 2010.12.31 in its program and once that date is reached, FDISR will stop working, kind of a time-bomb, malware use also a time-bomb sometimes.

On the other hand HDS claims that we can keep our good FDISR and use it in perpetuity and that statement means also that FDISR has no activation or a time-bomb and that we can use it forever until a new Windows doesn't accept it anymore due to compatibility problems. FDISR was adjusted for WinVISTA and that will happen again with a new Windows, but this time FDISR won't be adjusted anymore, because it's terminated. This can take years of course, 5 years for winXP, another 5 years for winVISTA and then FDISR will extinct like the dinos. You can't work with the same OS forever, other softwares and hardware evolve too. :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I always thought that there is some kind of phoning home thing at the moment you put in the serial number [activation] but guess i am wrong so i surmise verifying is done from within in the app.I am not smart but if that is the case,then you can use your serial number on endless installs,and thats not true in my experience so in one way or another the serial is fixed to that specific install,but how, i dont know.

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

There has been a post at HDS forums in the FDISR subforum asking just this question : no response as yet.

http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=4443&forumContentID=66922

I agree; if they plan to dump FDISR as we know it: why not give a 'special;' license to use our install.exes on multiple machines.

Does anyone know if we can install multiple times and use same license??
    IT is a machine specific activation ?? :doubt:

{Somewhat ill considered comment removed - Blue}

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  5. ErikAlbert

FDISR has no serial number either, in case you forgot and I don't know how FDISR protects itself against piracy or more than one installation on different computers. It's possible that you can install FDISR on any computer without restriction. I couldn't test this, because I have only ONE computer and my previous computer is broke.

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Let me put this as clearly as possible - don't start down a road in which measures that clearly violate your license or the TOS of this site are advocated. I really don't care if it's not something that you'd actually do and that you made the comment out of general frustration.

In the event that occurs, in this thread or elsewhere, the thread will be closed without further comment.

Regards,

Blue

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Sure i got serialnumbers at the time i purchased my licences,one time i did an activation on a trial with an already used serial number and it was no go,there was something a message like " wrong key and if i like to purchase a license" or something like that. Erik i think you are talking about perfectdisk which require no serial,after purchase you get a download link with e-mail.
    Its in no way mr. Blue to promote or else to show illegal measures about use of softwares, my only concern is about future use of FDISR,and what i mentioned before was a transfer of my licenced software to a new system.

8. ErikAlbert

I never had a serial number and I'm not confusing with PerfectDisk.
    I only have a Customer ID and I never had to use that Customer ID.
    I install FDISR always without anything, than the installation file.

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Strange...... but maybe the difference is different resellers,i have my copies from Software Pursuits and they require a serial number to activate,i have three licences and three different serial numbers i got via e-mail after purchase.By the way they call it BOOTBACK and not FDISR but its same stuff.

10. ErikAlbert

I bought mine from Raxco. I was surprised I didn't need a serial number. I said by myself : "That is very convenient."
    Other members, who bought from Raxco, also asked in this forum, why they didn't have a serial number and I had to tell them there was no serial number.
    I only got another installation file, I couldn't use the trial installation file. :)

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I initially started the thread out of concern about the activation issue in the future and nobody seems to know how to deal about this,and this is specific to Software Pursuits customers.I guess there was initially some kind of misconception between us because we were talking about different protection schemes from different resellers without knowing this.So i suppose that in the future BOOTBACK users will in for some supprises at time of reactivating and FDISR users are free to go in the endless future.

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

So that there is no concern on your part in regards to this thread you have started....the above post Blue made concerned an "ill considered comment" that was removed from a post prior to his. Your thread topic is fine.

Bubba

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There are indeed some interesting issues here. I don't think Raxco's software has activations. I know when I bought my last license, their sales folks added the license, and maintenance into a oneshot bundle and renewed everything to timematch, and made me a package deal. I didn't need another download.

So one interesting technical legal question is does HDS's statement about use in perpetuity even apply to me. What can I legally and morally do down the road if I add a computer. I suspect the exe file I have will install fine, but what if any is the legal implication.

I may call Raxco and ask them.

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

If it is true that Raxio's FD-ISR requires no activation for new installation or re installation, then there is a dangerous leak(revenue) right there. Duplication of install file could be illegally produced and be legally(due to vendor's default arrangement) distributed among public. Perhaps Raxio realizes this big hole and decided to pull the plug. Many standalone utility programs have this backdoor widely open--one copy is sold on surface, many are circulated underground. Pity.

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

About the activation issue in BOOTBACK i let you know what they has to say at Software Pursuits.

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Also PerfectDisk from same Vendor has no protection against illegal copying,its shocking that as an industry leading company with top stuff in their hands,they give it away for almost nothing so to speak !!! And what you think about Storagecraft,their recovery environment is also unprotected.Its alsmost the better the stuff the easier you can get it for nothing. i haste to add,Boys stay legal,i say this because i can get it that these reputable companies are so stupid !!

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well Raxco's certainly an interesting model. But I respect their trusting me, and I've paid quite willing for a license for every machine, plus maintenance contract for every machine.

If I added my FDISR to an additional machine, I'd gladly pay them if I could. My loyalty is with them. They've earned it.

18. ErikAlbert

Maybe that is the main reason why FDISR wasn't profitable, too much piracy.

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've never had to activate FD-ISR. The licence has been built into the download.

20. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Umm, apologies to Forum : frustration +++ :oops:

Yes. They honoured their commitments. ( even though they dropped it :( )

21. screamer

screamer Registered Member

My copies (2) of FD-ISR from Raxco required no serial number. When 205 was released, I was sent an .exe and told I could load it on two machines.

OTOH, my copy of Software Pursuits BootBack -has a serial number that must be entered. Plus PerfectDisk does not auto recognize BootBack and exclude the Files from defrag as it does on the Raxco version of FD-ISR.

Software Pursuits told me if I install BootBack on any machine other than the box it was purchased for, I would not be eligible for up-dates. What this means, I'm not sure...??

Personally, my loyalty lies w/ Raxco, they have always been a terrific outfit. However, since they no longer sell FD-ISR, I feel if I get a new machine, I am OK w/ installing it (Purchased Raxco version) on that machine. One machine, one license.

BTW: I did a BitTorrent search for FD-ISR and surprisingly, only found one version. I wouldn't say that this is a very popular Pirated Software.

...screamer

22. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

My HDS version came with the following:

Please find below the license registration/activation code for the product you have ordered, FirstDefense-ISR Pro Workstation
    (Commercial): XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here. At least when Raxco was distributing it Todd of Leapfrog was always very helpful as was Raxco. I feel like now we're sort of in a form of Limbo for us Raxco holders of FD-ISR but i'll also add this. Their version of FD-ISR with "ALL" it's full features is like a Valuable GoldPiece to me and theres nothing yet or likely in the near future that can change that. It's works PERFECTLY!! and it has already proven itself a MIGHTY rescuer as well as the freedoms it's made possible where concerns Windows.

With FD-ISR (AUTHENTIC), it's greatly lessened my dependencies on having to resort to imaging apps for recovery although they remain the final line of preservation in event of some catastrophy like someone making off with my FD-ISR installer :oops:

24. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

For Raxco customers its easy,Susie said it will work onto eterniity[original non cutdown version],its obvious they have no activaton code needed,but the Software Pursuits version uses activation,and i guess this make a difference for future installs.I have PM Software Pursuits,still waiting.

25. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I really don't see any reason that "any" reseller would object to the install on a different machine as long as we uphold our end of the deal w/ "one license, one machine".

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.