FDISR & IFD Test

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dallen, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

That's also my understanding. BUT, I'm personally leery of restoring my Windows system partition with Windows in operation. For me, that applies for ANY software. I wouldn't hesitate to restore a data partition with IFW, assuming it got a proper lock when needed, but the system partition seems riskier.

I guess if Rilla's USB Drive isn't getting picked up in IFD, short of fixing that, there's not much choice but to use IFW for restoring.

Someone else posted the same caution a month or two ago -- don't recall if it was you, dallen, or Peter2150, or someone else.

2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

crofttk,
    Don't get me wrong. I absolutely agree with your conclusion that restoring from DOS is superior. Personally, I will not rely on a Windows-based image. Unnecessarily risky. Rilla either needs to get Image for DOS to recognize the USB or try to use Firewire. If Rilla cannot accomplish either of these, then Rilla does not have adequate protection. Period.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Problem is if you Image the whole disk including the OS, you can't restore from Windows. I don't have much luck on this machine with any of the recovery CD's if I just go USB. Fortunately the Firewire works like a champ.

Pete

4. Rui

Rui Registered Member

@dallen: After perusing the IFW User's Guide, I have to agree with you: you can perform a restore using either IFD or IFW. But, in the latter case, "you cannot restore over the partition that contains the source image file (from the User's Guide)".
    For safety reasons, I prefer to restore using only IFD, but I use IFW to perform backup operations, usually to an external USB drive. It is much faster.
    Backup time using IFD: 90 minutes (writing and validating image);
    Backup time using IFW: 30 minutes (writing and validating image).
    I suggest you give IFW a try concerning backuo. Feel free to PM me about this, if you want to ask some questions.

@Rilla927:
    If you got the mentioned error, check your PHYLock Settings and enable these items, checking the corresponding box:
    Use If Locking Fails
    Use and Release Lock.

Regards

Rui

5. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

@Dallen & Rui

I tried restoring with IFW because in IFD it cannot find the USB Drive at all. My goal is to restore C drive image from external USB.

Yes, you can restore with either one IFW or IFD. I prefer IFD if I can get it to recognize the USB, but I don't think that's ever gonna happen.

Just a side note: I even tried clicking on file in IFD just to see what would happen and it balked at me and said "you can only use this in a DOS Enviroment". It sounds like it doesn't even know when it is in DOS at all.

Rui, the settings you mentioned for Phylock were checked already.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  6. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi Rilla927

Please do check your PHYLock settings and enable them according to my previous post.
    See if this solves your problem and do not forget to tell us how it went.
    Regards
    Rui

7. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi Rilla

That already happened to me too.
    Trial solutions using IFD:
    1. Restart your computer
    2. When presented with the screen "Restore From" choose "Partition" and then select your USB drive. You should then see the listing of the available IMG files in your USB drive. Type the appropriate file name and press enter.
    That should fix it.
    At least it functions with my system.
    Regards
    Rui

8. Rilla927

The program came by default with these settings. I never changed anything.

Attached Files:

9. Rilla927

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should choose BckUp.IMG.

Attached Files:

10. Rui

Rui Registered Member

YES!!
    Regards
    Rui

11. Rilla927

I'm sorry Peter2150 I didn't see your post until now. Ran right past it.

I was under the impression that would apply only if you were trying to restore from the partion you took the very image of.

12. Rilla927

I will give it another try. If you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know I had to restore from disk.

Thanks

13. Rilla927

I used IFD.

The error is the same as I always get: No usable HD found!

Well everyone, you all put forth your best efforts and I thank you for that. I think I will have to just stick with the DVD thing for this laptop. I don't know what else we could do!

Now, when I get my desktop back I know that it recognizes the USB in DOS. As some of you know I chose the wrong file when I was trying to restore from the external to my desktop that's why it didn't work. That part is solved now, so something did get accomplished out of all of this:D

People like all of you are what makes this forum such an asset:thumb:

14. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Rilla927

Are you connecting your USB drive through a HUB or directly to an USB port located at the computer?
    If using a hub, try connecting your USB drive directly to the computer USB port.
    Regards
    Rui

15. crofttk

And did you try powering the drive down and then back up while still in IFD as Rui suggested earlier ?

16. Rilla927

Yes, it is connect directly to computer. No hub.

17. Rilla927

I tried that yesterday a few times and I got the same old error message.

I didn't try today because it didn't work yesterday. I suppose I could try again!

18. crofttk

Ah, well, OK, I didn't realize you actually tried that yesterday. I guess trying again wouldn't hurt but if nothing's changed, it probably still won't work.

19. Rilla927

Hi Crofttk,

No dice! I the on and off thing six times. It just won't see it.

20. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

This thread made me a little bit curious about IFD, so I did a little bit of reading and found this information in the manual:

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/images/ifd-usb.png

I wonder if there is some solution for Rila927 in the ifd.ini file?

21. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi Rilla297

From the IFW User's Guide:
    If you wish to restore your Windows partition, you cannot boot into that copy of Windows to perform the restore. You must instead run Image for DOS, and restore it from there. (page19)

I am going to peruse the IFD User's Guide. Maybe I can find something interesting and useful, concerning the recognizing of your external USB drive,

I will be back.

Regards

Rui

22. crofttk

23. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=236
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=108
    If I understand the information right, then you have two options to create a bootable IFD floppy.
    One is by the utility makedisk and the other is by creating your own DOS bootable floppy and then copy image.exe and cdboot.f35 to that DOS floppy.
    It looks like a makedisk flop has some restrictions, try the second method to create your bootable flop and start IFD with the command a:\image after you start from that floppy.

OK, I tested method two and the 'file' options works then. But it doesn't help much, because it doesn't recognize NTFS partitions.
    You have to select partition.

Anyway, it looks like this setup needs more fine tuning with editing of the ini file or dos environment to get it working for Rilla927.

24. Rilla927

I did look at this. I don't understand what exactly you have to do, it was CHINESE to me:eek::eek:

I don't have a floppy drive.

25. crofttk

You simply type the line UHCI=1 into the IFD.INI file and save it to the media you are booting from when you run IFD. It provides USB 1.1 service in IFD. If you try it and it works, then you have narrowed the problem down to IFD not seeing your device as USB2 instead of it not seeing your drive at all.

Alternatively, do it the way the article I linked to tells you -- simply put the lines shown, with the "SET" command in an autoexec.bat on the DOS boot media you run IFD from.

ETA: Notice I said boot media, NOT boot floppy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.