FDISR & IFD Test

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dallen, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Longboard!

It's funny you mention the naming conventions, I was just reading the help file again and seen that but I didn't quite understand it.

The part that isn't working is restoring the image(s) from my external NTFS HD.

I also noticed a lot of reference to Fat32's in the help file as samples. Could it be the problem that I'm trying to restore from NTFS, who knows.

Yes, and yes.

Correct.

I have emailed Terabyte with so many questions, he could probably scream!

Thanks for the links;)

I use both. In order to restore of course it's IFD.

Rilla927

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I would say not necessarily. I failed to mention, my WD Passport Drive I just tested with above is formatted as NTFS.

I guess if I still find myself with too much time on my hands after work, I should image with IFW also, and verify that IFD restores that OK too.

3. dallen

dallen Registered Member

crofttk,
    Just a point of clarification, I too did not disable the FD-ISR pre-boot before imaging with IFD during my tests.

Rilla927,
    I did not realize that you are having trouble restoring from the external drive. All of my hard drives are formatted using NTFS, so I would not think that to be the issue. I am afraid that absent more details about your specific issue, I am at a loss. If you can elaborate on when the problem occurs in the process and the give more specifics of the problem itself, then I might be able to be of further help.

Side note: Using Image for DOS, as opposed to Image for Windows, does not allow for the operating system to be in use, so I would not think that to be of issue here.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Ooops... mea culpa, I should have read more carefully. I saw the first sentence of "TEST 2" and didn't put everything correctly in my head when I read the rest !:p

5. Rilla927

Hi Dallen!

I assume the USB Ports are 2.0. I never thought of that. The system will be 2yrs old next month. How would I check to make sure?

I had done all the same steps except for one. I didn't use the BIOS HD (direct). I used the first option, I think it is BIOS. I will try the Bios HD (direct).

Do you use Bios HD (direct) when restoring ?

When restoring with IFD, do you need to just select the folder that is holding the image or something specific in the folder?

Thanks for Tutorial link.

Rilla927

6. Rilla927

I know that sounds silly because the program wouldn't be compatible with XP and I know it is.

I guess you do have too much time on your hands, lol!

Rilla927

7. Rilla927

Dallen,

the reason I didn't state exactly, I wasn't sure if I was doing just the restore wrong or the imaging & restore.

Let me know what kind of details you would like and I will fire away!

Thanks

Rilla927

8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

When you said that you tried to create the image, but it just created a bunch of "objects" that were broke into 2 gig segments, I presume that these are the image files.

It sounds like you have successfully created the image.

During the restoration process, what goes wrong? I mean what are you doing and what are you seeing?

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@crofftk
    More good news!!
    Application of strict scientific principles in action:
    Hypothesis
    Experiment @dallen
    Results
    Re-do experiment
    Confirm results.
    Repeat experiment with changed variables @crofftk
    Check results.

ET VIOLA. :)

@dallen
    Agreed, just a little firewall in my head about restoring to OS partition to aviod mistakes !!

So if Rilla is creating the image Ok, where is the restore going wrong?.

Enough space to restore?; Must be more than used portion of original partition imaged

?To restore, point IFD at the folder holding the image as per video.

There are other apps that can "own" the .img file association, this should not be a problem in IFD?

Shame on you rilla for finding in a hole in one fo my faves ;)

Lbd.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  10. Rilla927

I think the image goes fine, no errors.

I was selecting the image 01, I think it said. I wish I had a set so I could take a screen shot to show you what I'm talking about.

Rilla927

11. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Image 01 is actually the second file. The first is Image.

I am a little confused. You said that the "image goes fine." Are you referring to making the image?

If you have a digital camera, you may want to take a picture of the screen. If you have that capability let me know and I will arrange for you to send me the photo. My guess is that your issue can be fixed by changing the way you are doing something.

Longboard,
    Don't fret just yet. I do not think Rilla927 has discovered a "hole." I think this issue is related to a subtle misstep.

12. Rilla927

Dun no!

Originally I tried this on my desktop I had 48gig in used space on a 138gig HD. Are you guys wiping the drive before you restore? I wouldn't think you have too.

I watched the video. Did you notice in the video he was using a Fat32 to back the image up too. Video- Creating a back up image to a partion or HD.

When you select the folder for a store, what specific do you need to select in the folder? I think this is where the problem starts.

Your guess is a good as mine.

LOL;)

13. Rilla927

Just wanted to mention everytime I turn on the external it throws my boot sequence out of order I noticed.

When I go to restart, it says press any key to boot, but when you do it does nothing and I have to go in the Bios and change it back.

Rilla927

14. Rilla927

No, I don't think it's a hole either. I think I'm selecting the wrong item in the folder to restore. So which should I select?

Yes, I'm referring to creating the image seems go okay if I use IFW or IFD. The issue is restoring with IFD.

No digital camera, but I have ClipMate 7 that can take screen shots:D

Rilla927

15. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Presumably, you are restoring the image to the same drive from which the image was taken, therefore, space should not be an issue. Is your drive set up as one partition spanning the entire drive, or multiple?

YOU DO NOT NEED TO WIPE THE DRIVE!!!

I am confident that NTFS is not contributing to your issue.
    What you should do is boot into Windows, goto the external drive which you want to store the image, create a folder with a distinct name that you will recognize when you see it in IFD. Then boot to IFD, use the aforementioned steps to create your image in that folder, again naming the image in a manner you will recognize when you see it during the restore process. I recomment validating the image and selecting the byte-for-byte comparison option. IFD should tell you that the image was created successfully. Please let me know if you are able to get to this point successfully. If not, tell me why not.

Then restore the image using the aforementioned steps. I need to know what specifically is occurring that indicates that you are unable to restore the image. Are you getting some sort of error?

16. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I read your last message after posting mine. Upon reading that your external drive causes problems in your boot sequence, I am concerned. Nevertheless, assuming that you can get into IFD with your external drive powered on, are you able to find the extrenal drive by selecting the option to restore from USB2 device?

17. Rilla927

Yes.
    Correct.
    C drive equals one whole partion, no multiples.

I can get that far, yes. I always select validating the image and byte-for-byte option.

It's the restoring part I have trouble with.

I'm going to try this on the laptop to test because my desktop hasn't been shipped back yet (the power supply burned up).

I will make an image to DVD first to be safe and then I will do an image to the external and try it and get back to you, okay.

We had a power outage earlier today so I was knocked off line for a while.

Thanks Dallen!

Rilla927

18. Rilla927

The external is always recognized, it just throws the Bios out of wack. It puts the external in first position in Bios sequence instead of my C drive, so everytime I'm done using the external I go into the Bios and change things back to they way they should be.

Is this common for externals to do this? Do you think maybe that's why I can't do a restore? Just wondered.

The laptop I'm going to try this on only has one HD and I don't ever remember it doing anything funky like that, but I will soon find out.

Will get back to you as soon as possible:D Fed-Ex runs for another two hours maybe my Desktop will show up.

Rilla927

19. Longboard

Busy night you guys

YES> DO NOT FORMAT C

This may be the problem:

If you have only one partition and are trying to restore an image as a test to that partition, the app may not let you.

Try creating a spare partition from your free space of appropriate size, format to FAT32 or NTFS. Then retry the restore of image to the new partition.

Just point IFD or IFW at the folder holding the images not the specific image file. The primary image (.img file) has no number, just the .img name.

If you are using BING for partition work. and you should :) , then you must use windows to format the partition in NTFS via Control Panel> ADMIN tools> Computer MGT>Disc Mgt.> R click on selected partition and select Format ( there is also an app detailed in terabyte site and in Microsft support "convert exe" which will do the job, but the above is easier) That path can also be used to create new partitions from the free space if you want.

BING will format a new partition in FAt32 which is fine for image restore and Using most apps, just has some problems with file size over 4G (you dont have to install BING just boot from floppy and go to partition work, see the videos)

You probably know all thta already !

The whole process from start of create new partition and formatting to NTFS takes about 45 minutes.

If the process is successful then you can review your partition set-up (I also had 1 partition "C:" but have susequently made some changes to primary HD and partitioned external HD tp make room for FD-ISR snapshots/archives.)

The created partition can be Deleted by BING floppy. work with partitions and returned to free space, then the original "C" can be recreated with resize if you want.

It took me a while to get up the strenghth to use BING and I was able to take it to a spare box of someone elses' where I put it through some tests. Now have total faith in the app. So far if there has been a problem it has been my limited understanding rather than the app. :)

HTH
    Let us know what the outcome is.
    Lbd

20. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I am going to Indianapolis in 5 minutes. I will be back online tonight to respond.

Your boot order in the BIOS should be set to the following:
    Floppy
    CD/DVD drive
    Hard Drive (with OS)

21. Longboard

Hey dallen and Rilla:
    I may be butting in a bit here and we are all posting simultaneously, at least when I am in your time zone :)
    I will step out and let you guys sort through this.
    I will follow with interest.

Lbd.

22. Rilla927

@Longboard

I never wiped the disk, I threw that in there thinking maybe thats what others were doing.

I don't have BING installed. If I need it I use it from my bootable CD.

Thanks for help, I learned something new about BING;)

Rilla927

23. Rilla927

I have mine set to boot from CD with the softwares that I use. So far, I have never needed to boot from floppy.

There is a section also in my bios where all the HD'S are listed in a certain order, that's the one I was talking about where the external put itself in first place instead of my C drive.

On my Desktop there are three HD's C, J, K and the external makes the fourth drive which it gives a drive letter of L.

Well fella's, I completed the image to disk, then I used IFW to do the image to the external. No errors, everything went okay.

I took a snapshot of whats in the folder on the external so you can see.

Rill927

Attached Files:

24. Longboard

@rilla
    out of interest could you post a screeny of your partitions and external drive.
    Where is that folder 06012006?

That is a neat little image file
    Must be super quick to create.
    Lbd.

25. Rilla927

Hi Longboard,

I did take a screen shot to post.

You mentioned the folder with the numbers, that's todays date.

At the moment, I'm doing this on the laptop that has one HD plus the external. Then I will try the same procedure on my desktop.

Awesome little app I used to create the screen shot. Very quick and easy. It's called ClipMate v7.0.

Okay, here goes the screen shot.

Take care Longbord!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.