FDISR freezing and incremental questions

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by bigred3355, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigred3355

bigred3355 Registered Member

Hi there. I have been testing FDISR and it seems to have some great capabilities. I have two topics of interest. The first is the freezing/data anchoring solution. The second has to do with incremental backups. There does not seem to be a clear incremental procedure or capability. This feature is really what I am looking for in a backup program. Just looking for thoughts and comments on these two topics.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The whole point in backups is so you are current without having to do a complete backup over again. What you want to do for backup stuff is to create an archive, on an external or 2nd drive. Then when you want to bring it update, you just do another copy selecting your primary(or whichever snapshot you want) as source, and the archive as the target. The copy will make the changes necessary to make that archive the same as the primary snapshot. If you want the ability to go back a day, or two or three, or whatever, then just make the appropriate archives, say monday,tuesday, etc. And then update them as appropriate.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Bigred,
    FirstDefense-ISR means FirstDefense Immediate System Recovery, NOT Image Backup.
    It's IMO a reasoning error to consider FDISR as an image backup software, like Acronis True Image (ATI) or Terabyte Image for Windows.
    One of the many possibilities of FDISR is Archiving Snapshots and that's why some users think that FDISR is an image backup software.

I can do things with ATI, that can not be done with FDISR and I can do things with FDISR, that can not be done with ATI.
    So you need both and if you don't want both, ATI or any other image/file backup software is the minimum. unless you like to lose your personal data or like to re-install your Windows manually over and over again.

Image backup and System Restore softwares put you back in business in no time, when something goes really wrong on your computer, caused by hardware failures, bad softwares, malwares, ...
    Image backup for the worst scenarios and System Restore for the less worse scenarios.

If you want incremental backups, use ATI, not FDISR.
    If you want to try new softwares with possible bugs, use FDISR, not ATI because you can NOT recover an image backup as fast as booting in another snapshot, which is the same as a normal reboot.
    If you want another version of your system partition, use FDISR and create a new snapshot.
    If you want a CLEAN pc after surfing, use FDISR, because you can freeze your active snapshot.
    If you like to keep a tested software in a test snapshot, refresh your normal snapshot.
    If you like to keep a rarely used snapshot for later, archive that snapshot to another (external) harddisk to save space on your system partition.
    Etc. etc. etc. numerous possibilities, only your imagination is the limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.