FDISR for Audio/MIDI PC Environment

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Chamlin, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

I'm using SONAR software (audio/MIDI music production) on a PC (WinXP, SP3, Core Duo E6750 @2.66GHz, with 2 GB RAM.

I find Sonar being sluggish at times, even after I stop many processes from running right after startup.

Many musicians have a separate dedicated PC for recording as typical Windows processes, AV, Firewalls, etc. interfere with / diminish the power of the program and can really screw things up.

Since I can't get another PC, is FDISR a good use for this situation? I am thinking of taking these steps:
    1. Make sure I have a good Primary backup;
    2. Delete all non-essential and processor-intensive programs, making my system as bare bones as possible;
    3. Apply all of the "Optimize Your Win XP PC for Audio Production" tweaks;
    4. Create a new FDISR snapshot for Audio Production that I can boot back and forth to when I'm doing music.
    Does this make sense? Better way to do this? Steps I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Chamlin

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Yep basically you can have a normal snapshot and a performance snapshot.

i 'd be tempted to fresh install to create the performant snapshot. With care it should not damage the exisitng snapshots just don't format the partition

3. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Do you mean do an absolute clean install of XP and update it to SP3? How would that work...? Would I format the drive, then reinstall XP, then SP3 it, then add FDISR? How would I have my old system available with all the older installed software, etc.?

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

No

I would keep the existing install as one snapshot and then create a new empty new snapshot for your music stuff

You can install the brand new version of Xp in this new empty snapshot much like you would on a new computer BUT do not format the disk otherwise you will wipe the existing snapshots.

Once installed you can apply SP3 and install SW as you require .... I would create an archive of the new install then you can just restore the archive when you want to refresh things in the future

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.