FDISR errors with AEv3

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Used softwares :
    FirstDefense-ISR v3.21.205
    Faronics Anti-Executable Standard v3.0.1111.23

I marked all ISR-executables as trusted in AE, which I also did in AEv2 and that worked, but not this time.
    After using the function "Freeze" I got these 6 errors 2 times in the Activity log :

25.06.08 09:47:38 Error - TFO::SetNamedSecurityInfo: Access is denied.
    25.06.08 09:47:38 Windows error number 5
    25.06.08 09:47:38 Error - Adding "Program Files\Faronics\AE\AeFilter.sys" to "Freeze Storage"
    25.06.08 09:47:38 Adding "Program Files\Faronics\AE\AeKbd.sys" to "Freeze Storage"
    25.06.08 09:47:38 Error - Adding "Program Files\Faronics\AE\AeKbd.sys" to "Freeze Storage"
    25.06.08 09:47:38 Adding "Program Files\Faronics\AE\AeMouse.sys" to "Freeze Storage"
    25.06.08 09:47:38 Error - Adding "Program Files\Faronics\AE\AeMouse.sys" to "Freeze Storage"

It won't be easy to solve it this time.
    Most probably Faronics will tell me : we don't solve problems of terminated softwares.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, I always disable AE, or at least try to remember to do so, whenever doing anything in FDISR.

Acadia

3. ErikAlbert

Freezing is only possible in the current snapshot, which means :
    - you freeze AE = OFF as well.
    - each time you reboot, you have to turn AE back ON.
    Not very convenient.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No, not very convenient, but I like the security that the two give together; some things are just worth inconvenience. :cool:

Acadia

5. ErikAlbert

Tomorrow, I will try the same "Freeze" with AE disabled.
    AEv3 has a serial number. I got one but AE tells me, the serial number is expired, which is nonsense. I'm emailing AE-support, but they keep me running in circles.
    Support gave me a new download link, but it's the same download as I did the first time. :rolleyes:

6. ErikAlbert

Acadia,
    I get the same errors when AEv3 is disabled.
    The problem with the serial number is still not solved.

EDIT:
    After uninstalling AEv3, my keyboard and mouse didn't work anymore. I had to reboot with my reboot-button on the tower.

Meanwhile I got an email from Faronics, telling me that my personal account has been updated (why so late ?). I will try all over again.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I tried to install it on my Vista computer, using the backup snapshot of FD-ISR Rescue: So far a disastrous experience, when AE asked to reboot, my computer ... failed to reboot, after the Rescue pre-boot screen the system hanged without opening Windows.

As a consolation FD- ISR Rescue worked perfectly rebooting the system to the other snapshot eliminating the problem. I still don't know whether I'm going to give it a second go, the old AE with my XP computer works flawlessly.

I'd like to know if anybody else is testing it with Vista and FD-Rescue.

8. ErikAlbert

My serial number problem is solved. Faronics gave me another one that worked.

I also reported the compatibility problem with FDISR to the technical support of Faronics with a detailed FDISR Activity Log.
    I don't expect a solution from Faronics, I only wanted to tell them that AEv3 isn't the same anymore as AEv2, which didn't cause any problems.
    However, if Faronics has any suggestions that might solve the problem, I will keep you posted, but I don't have much hope.
    I will use AEv3 somewhere in the future, when I find a good alternative for FDISR. It was predictable that this would happen sooner or later. I always said that a dead software without any maintenance is a pain and this is just the beginning.
    I already scared to install any new version of any software.
    Meanwhile, I keep on using AEv2. :)

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks for all of the info, Erik. I downloaded AE3 but I will not bother to install; FDISR is much more important to me than AE and like you said, AE2 works just fine.

Acadia

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'd really appreciate if you could report any replies from Faronics. I really can't understand your anxiety about the demise of the classic FDISR. It's the kind of software that will always work, and doesn't need any update or upgrade.

People keep beating ShadowUser to death because there's no response from Storagecraft, and the vast majority of these people haven't bought it or they have a cracked version. I'm still using it with my old XP computer which is now used by my wife (who is really a beginner, and only interested in having a working machine), making sure that whatever she does right or wrong the machine is always in tip top condition.

Don't worry, be happy! You do own a collector's item in terms of a program, a limited edition, I can just see in a decade people showing off their collection of programs that are no longer available, and maybe even selling their license to the highest bidder.

11. ErikAlbert

Sorry to say, but you are wrong. After winXP and winVISTA, a new Windows will appear and that will be the end of FDISR, because there is no maintenance anymore to make it compatible with new Windows.
    In case of AEv3, it's not certain if AEv3 is the trouble, it might be FDISR and a small adjustment in FDISR might fix it.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you are prepared to accept changes in terms of operating systems you should also be prepared to change your security environment. Windows 98 is still working in some machines it just doesn't get updated anymore, that doesn't mean it won't work on a given machine.

I also think we get so attached to software, we shouldn't forget they are just anonymous binaries... Life goes on.

13. ErikAlbert

Osaban,
    Faronics seems to be interested in the problem and contacted me again.
    The fact that AEv2 had no problems and AEv3 has problems with the copy/update is a motivation for them of course to fix it.
    This is going to take some time of course with or without results.
    I keep you posted.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I understand your concern, but consider this also. Newer never always equates to better no matter how much fan fare and claims are made. This goes all the way back to Windows 98.

Sometimes, and often times, a new so-called improved version can create more time-wasting issues then it was worth to begin with, especially when your current combinations have been working to perfection for you.

Just some food for thought.

15. ErikAlbert

I can't even evaluate, if AEv3 is an improvement or not. AEv3 causes errors in the copy/update engine of FDISR and that affects the functions : Copy/Update, Freeze, Import and Export.
    If Faronics is able to fix it, I can try AEv3 and explore the possibility of ONE improvement in AEv3, that catched my eye.
    AEv3 will probably cause errors in FDISR PC Rescue and its server edition as well and I'm not the only user in the world, who likes to see it fixed in all three versions of FDISR, so it isn't a personal issue either. It's never a personal issue to me regarding softwares, otherwise I would be big egoist.

You can't keep on using older versions of softwares forever either, sooner or later you will like to have something, but you can't have it, because your system is too old. Users, who are still working with Windows ME, Win95 or Win98SE, can't use FDISR either. One day, I have to replace FDISR with something else also.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I agree to a point but i still use some Windows 98 programs on XP after all these years without any problems at all. I just merely suggest older applications that are still proving themselves very useful may remain so for much longer than expected.

It's trial & error scenario with any softwares and you can't trust them fully untill they've logged some many hours, days, weeks etc. useage time along with tests that claims match with your results.

Still it's a good idea to bring such issues to their attention, whether they act to make the proper corrections for compatibility are another matter, because you hit on something all users need to be prepared for. No matter how reliable a sudden discontinued app might still be, other developers might not be willing to readjust their code just to accommadate such obsolete apps that are no longer distributed/marketed and deem it unnecessary.

I do hope your issue does receive the attention you expect and especially correction for compatibility because FD-ISR (Genuine) although concluded and replaced by a lesser featured clone, is one of those Restore apps that can stand the test of time and cancellation.

17. ErikAlbert

Easter,
    As I already said, AEv3 might cause the same errors in the copy/update engine of FDISR PC Rescue and FDISR PC Rescue Server and those softwares aren't terminated.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I tried again to install AntiExecutable on my Vista computer, and this time I uninstalled FD-ISR Rescue to make sure there isn't any interaction, turned off UAC, and Windows Defender to reduce to a minimum any background process: Same all thing, my computer upon rebooting doesn't open Windows, it just hangs.

I'm going to complain to Faronics, this isn't the way software ought to be announced Vista ready. The first time Fd-ISR Rescue got me out of trouble with the F1 boot key, this time I had restore with ShadowProtect which, thank God always works.

19. ErikAlbert

Yes do a complaint, because this is a total different problem and you are right, AEv3 shouldn't act this way and certainly not when FDISR Rescue was uninstalled. There are still too many bugs in AEv3. Maybe Faronics didn't get enough beta-testers to test AEv3 thoroughly. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.