FDISR COMPRESS/UNCOMPRESS SNAPSHOT

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by demoneye, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

hi all

i saw there is an option set the snapshot into compress/uncompress state.

anyone here knows how thats maybe impact pc prefomance when using compress snapshot?

or why there is an option to choos what to create between them both?

10x

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

demoneye;
    Compressed snapshots were created to reduce the used space of FDISR. It's no secret that FDISR requires alot of space, because each snapshot has an OS.
    Compressed snapshots reduce the used space with about 25% and that can make a difference for some users with too small harddisks.
    Most users don't have that space problem, so they didn't use compressed snapshots and it also causes alot of BLUE files in Windows Explorer.

I used them for awhile and I didn't notice any significant slowdown and I don't count nanoseconds.
    I don't think that adding compressed snapshots was a big improvement.
    Changing from MBR to PBR and make it compatible with winVISTA was a big improvement.
    Besides these 3 major improvements, FDISR's development was already frozen when I bought it on 2006.06.
    Most improvements in FDISR were technical improvements, not functional improvements.

Besides most suggested functional improvements from some users were killed by the other users, because FDISR saved them so many times, that it couldn't be improved. Typical attitude of fans :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  3. demoneye

wounder if its save about 25% of space and no speed impact , why they didnt make the snapshots COMPRESS by system defualt?? :doubt:

also i can say after check it ....making my snapshot compress save me 700 mega !!! .....before it was 2.1 giga , after compress its about 1.3 giga.... thats counts alot if u want to backup ALL snapshots (c:\ drive) with drive snapshot for example... for 2 snaps u save 1.4 giga!! and thats alot!!!

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Don't know, but I think it was a smart decision of Leapfrog to make compressed snapshots OPTIONAL. Not every user has a space problem. I have 70gb for FDISR, that is more than enough, no need for compressed snapshots.

Most of the time, I only need TWO snapshots and the rest can be solved with archives.The new server edition of FDISR Rescue is based on that principle. You only have to pay more than 4x$70.00 to get it and that is too much for me.
    That's why I'm already thinking of another solution without FDISR, at least in my mind.

5. demoneye

maybe TODD from fdisr can clearfy this isue one and for all

chers:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2008
  6. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings,

The reason compressed snapshots are optional rather than default is becuase we find that most buy larger hard drives than use compressed OS's (we use the NTFS file compression). Also, some application have issues with NTFS's file compression.

7. demoneye

oki now its clear this matter....10x Leapfrog :thumb:

btw : compressed can effect system speed?

8. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

We have noticed that on most modern day systems, the impact is minimal. Since you are reading in compressed data (read as less to read from spinning media) this reduces the read time, but there will be a small amount of CPU decompression time.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I compressed my Baseline snapshot, and the Primary and Secondary are as this 3.41GB or 1% and the Compressed Baseline is 2.40GB or 1% So the Compression saved 1.01GB :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.