FDISR - Archive/Restore with USB 2.0 Harddisk

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

ErikAlbert,

If I understand you right, then you create the image while in Windows and you restore after booting up into the Acronis Secure Zone?
    Because there is no way that you are able to restore your system partition while Windows is running.
    That is why I tested both creating and restoring after booting in Acronis, without Windows.

I think I timed between the same button clicks, but even if I'm less accurate, my test doesn't show such a huge difference between creating and restoring the image.
    The image size of my test is 2,54 GB, by the way. I guess that should be the amount of data in case you want to calculate the throughput.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's NOT true. I've done this many times for testings.
    While I'm in winXPproSP2 and using ATI, I can restore my system partition over and over again.
    The restore process requires a reboot and ATI will continue the restoration until it's finished.
    After clicking the "OK" button, Windows starts and you are back in business.
    I can do this with the Rescue CD also, but that's not necessary.

3. ErikAlbert

Yes, I've read your test results and you don't have a huge difference.
    So I've a problem and I have to think about this. Acronis Support doesn't reply, so I have to solve this problem myself as usual LOL.

4. wilbertnl

Exactly, that is what I mean, son.
    You need to reboot, and then another couple clicks for selecting the image, etc. (at least in my ATI-8 version)
    So, you don't restore while in Windows.

Your test would be more accurate if you create the image while not in Windows.

I think that another test option would be to create and restore your data partition (and that partition should not hold the pagefile for this test, otherwise, ATI will reboot again for the restore)
    That way you are sure that you are using the same drivers both ways.

5. ErikAlbert

The restore process is started in Windows using ATI, where you select the image, etc. until you click the "Proceed"-button and then ATI will show you a popup screen with a "Reboot"-button.
    Then you leave Windows and ATI will continue the restoration.
    That is NOT the same if you work with the Rescue CD.

I will create an system image with the Rescue CD to Seagate HD and restore with the Rescue CD from Seagate HD
    and see if it makes a difference, although I don't believe it will, but you never know.

6. wilbertnl

ErikAlbert,

Have you noticed that when you reboot for the Acronis Restore, you don't get the FD-ISR preboot screen, but the Acronis startup screen?
    After you click 'reboot' Acronis modifies the MBR and starts from an image C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\kernel.dat, which loads C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\ramdisk.dat. It bypasses Windows.
    These are the same images that are used to create the rescue CD/floppies.
    These are also the same images that are stored in the Acronis Secure Zone, when you create that.

I don't know if creating of the image, while booted in the Acronis rescue CD will make a difference, but I do know that in your previous test your creation of the image and restoration from that image are done with totally different condition sets.

7. ErikAlbert

Wilbertnl,

My system partition [C:] = 15.49 GB and the
    Image backup file (.tib) = 8.05 GB (normal compression).
    All tests have been done with Seagate hdd as backup/restore medium and without validation.
    Don't compare the timings with previous tests in this thread, because my harddisks changed after these previous tests.
    All timings are done between "Proceed" and "OK" button with a digital clock.
    (I don't use the timings mentioned on screens, I don't trust them)

Using Acronis Rescue CD
    The backup took 40 minuts
    The restore took 36 minuts

Using Acronis True Image under Windows
    The backup took 7 minuts ---> quite a difference with the Rescue CD (40 minuts)
    The restore took 38 minuts

Since I always used ATI, I have a big difference between backup and restore : 7/40 minuts
    The test with Rescue CD, like you always did, has no significant difference : 40/37 minutes.
    So you don't see the big difference if you use the Rescue CD.
    Maybe there is no problem with my restore-speed, using Seagate harddisk.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also did another smaller test with copy/paste the image backup file (.tib) of 8.05 GB
    1. Copy/paste from WD-Raptor to Seagate = 4m18s
    2. Copy/paste from Seagate to WD-Raptor = 4m34s
    I know the difference isn't big, but there is a difference in the transfer time.
    WD-Raptor/Seagate (backup) is faster than Seagate/WD-Raptor (restore) and ATI is a more complex program than copy/paste.
    I had no time to do a test with my DATA partition [D:], but I noticed one strange thing.
    Using the Rescue CD, I wasn't able to backup my data partition [D:], the screen showed 5 hours for the job and didn't move anymore.
    So I cancelled that operation because I was tired and sleepy.
    Maybe it's due to the fact that my data partition [D:] is on my second harddisk, while my data partition was on the first harddisk in the past.
    But I can't remember if I ever used the Rescue CD to backup my data partition when it was on the first harddisk.
    As I said before, I hardly use the Rescue CD, except when my first harddisk is zero-ed.
    I have read your very last post and thanks for explaining what I didn't know yet.
    I had a .tib-file on Seagate HD, that was created with ATI and I restored it with the Rescue CD and it took 36 minuts.
    IMO there is no difference at all between .tib-files of ATI and .tib-files of the Rescue CD.

I did alot of backups and restores lately just for testings and ATI never failed. One thing is certain, I need a break LOL.

8. wilbertnl

Thank you for proceeding with these tests, ErikAlbert.

It shows that there is a significant performance difference between ATI under Windows (using Windows drivers) and plain ATI.
    Fascinating, isn't it?

Roughly, your timings are equal to mine, since you process 4 times more data.

Correct, unless you use different compression rates.

9. ErikAlbert

Yes it is. I knew that ATI was fast and I assumed that the backup with the Rescue CD was the same.
    In the very beginning I might have used the Rescue CD for backup, but I was so unexperienced and unfamiliar with ATI, that I probably didn't notice and certainly not the timings. I had other problems with ATI in the beginning.
    After that I used the Rescue CD only for restoring Windows on a zero-ed harddisk.

It's a pity that the restore is so slow with Seagate, 36 or 38 minuts is too long for me, I can't live with that.
    I think, I'm going to use my data partition [D:] for restore again and copy/paste my .tib-files from my Seagate harddisk which is much shorter in time.
    One thing is certain, people can't blame me for not having a layered backup : FDISR-snapshots, backup on my second harddisk and Seagate HD. :D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interesting. I never realized you could restore a windows partition from windows with ATI. The times don't surprise me. I also see big differences with the cd vs windows. I am more trusting of the CD as windows is not running on the drive.

There in is the beauty of FDISR. SO much faster for anything but a drive failure.:D

11. wilbertnl

I never noticed either.
    But I was using ATI before I installed FD-ISR, so I basically had to image a small amount of data (I don't image my data partition).
    A restore took less than 5 minutes. Who cares if you expect it to be less than 3 minutes?
    But I knew that your comparison was based on different sets of conditions, and I insisted you to correct that before you were searching for clues that don't exist.

I also store my images on the second internal disk.
    Recently I rearranged the hardware of two computers here, so both have two internal harddisks now.
    I use my external disk only for backup and transfer reasons.

If you allow me, I want to give you a tip: move your Windows pagefile to the second harddisk. That offers you some performance increase.
    And give your pagefile the same minimum and maximum value, so that the size is fixed. I set mine at 384 MB.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  12. wilbertnl

Why is it that you trust FD-ISR activities, while running Windows and you don't trust ATI under the same conditions?

13. ErikAlbert

Would it really make a difference moving the pagefile to my data partition [D:]? I have 2x1 gb RAM in total.
    If you say so. I will do it because I'm planning to re-install my computer from scratch anyway. Not immediately, but I'm preparing a re-installation.

14. wilbertnl

The pagefile is always used, no matter how much RAM is installed.
    Or you might try to disable the pagefile, considering your amount of RAM. :)

15. ErikAlbert

Peter, maybe you should re-read or you missed my post #20 in this thread.
    FDISR is in fact slower than ATI, if you consider the complete system partition [C:] instead of just ONE snapshot.

16. Peter2150

Interesting question, to say the least. I can only answer this way.

I've used FDISR, created snapshot, booted to them so I've in essence tested the technology. With all the imaging programs I in all honesty haven't risked a restore simply because the hassle of a failed restore is one I can't afford. Thats why I image with the 3, and count on FDISR as the fall back. Most users of all 3 programs recommend doing imaging from the recovery disks, so I do so even though it takes significantly longer. Also to be very candid until I read this thread I didn't even know you could do the restore from windows.

Pete

17. Peter2150

Hi Erik

Went back and read your post, and I can see what you are saying but that strikes me as more of a test case then reality, AT LEAST FOR ME. The initial times to create archives, might be slower than ATI, but that isn't a daily activity

For the most part I keep two snapshot, both about 15.5gb on my c: drive. The 2nd snapshot is only there to keep me out of trouble, should I screw up something. For this purpose if I didn't have FDISR, I'd have to use ATI for a image. So lets say I have an installation go back and it needs to be removed. With FDISR I refresh my secondary (5 minutes), and then one recover, I have to reboot, refresh and reboot with FDISR(9 minutes) But with ATI and only the one snapshot it still takes 18 minutes in windows to build the image so I am sure the restore would be about the same doing it in windows. Not quicker.

Take another situation I use. I am playing with MS Office 2007 beta. Requires everything including data to be separate for hopefully obvious reasons. What I did was built a new snapshot installed the beta to work with it. I now have 3 snapshots. Then also created an archive for it, as I didn't want to leave it on my system permenantly. So yes there was the time to build both the snapshot and archive. But now consider this. To restore this beta archive back to the c drive takes about 25 minutes. But no way I could do it faster with ATI, since I need to leave the other 2 snapshots out there, encase I need to do real work. Now I am done with the beta for a while, so I refresh the beta archive(less then 5 minutes) and delete it. I don't see any comparable way to use ATI, that would even make sense and it certainly wouldn't be quicker.

Even for back up purposes on a daily basis. Image time 18 minutes, FDISR archive refresh 3 minutes. True on a restore basis the image is probably faster as FDISR is a multiple step issue.

But for me, and I suspect many on a day to day usage basis FDISR is quicker, only because you aren't creating new snapshots and archives every day.

18. ErikAlbert

Although the timings are true, I know that those timings are nonsense in practice.
    As long timings are reasonable, nobody even cares about timings, because you get alot more in return.
    Only a nut like me uses a stopwatch to measure how long it takes to create (archived) snapshots. :D
    It was interesting to know, but nothing more than that. :)

19. Peter2150

Hey Erik

I think what you did is cool. It does give a perspective to work from.

Pete

20. wilbertnl

ErikAlbert did a respectable amount of imaging and restoring without a single failure.
    I supported ErikAlbert's test with one imaging and restore, also with successful result.
    From my experience I state that ATI only failed on me due to a motherboard defect.

I qualify ATI and IFD/IFW (although I'm not a IFD/IFW customer) as very reliable.
    Imaging software will only fail due to a power outtage. But then you can repeat the procedure when power is back.

The only risk I see is the fearful unexperienced user, who doesn't take the steps to acquaint himself with the restoration procedure.
    Peter, is there by any means a way for you to get comfortable with restoring from an image?

21. Peter2150

Hi Wilbertnl

You raise a good point. I gues I am just from the school of thought that says if it isn't broke don't fix it. I have 3 images, they all pass all but the restore test, so I assume they are good. But that alone would be worthless.

But what I do know for certain, is if faced with a blank dead and dumb hard drive, and if all the images were bad, I do have a manufactures recovery CD as well as the Windows CD, so I can get the system up and running. I do have a CD that installs my external disk drivers, and have done this, so that gets my backup drives back. I do know for certain I can install FDISR in that situation, and I have tested that I can restore on of my archives and bring my system current. So I do have a tested solution should the images fail.

That being said when I buy a new system I will certainly do the kind of stuff Erik has done. But I am actually using a computer that I depend on to make my living, plus some other key business activities. So I do judge my actions against that. Believe me I would never do some of the stuff I do without FDISR. I suspect and Erik can confirm, that he probably wouldn''t be doing some of these tests, if he depended on his computer for his living.

Pete

PS I did do a bit an oops by deleting some folders from the my doc's area. I was thinking that my directory sync program would replace them, but it couldn't due to protection issues. I knew I could recreate and restore by hand, but ugh. I had also done a file backup of my doc's with Acronis. Tried restoring in windows but it got the same errors. Booted to safe mode, but of course there no external disk drivers. Duh. Finally booted with the Acronis Recovery CD and restored from there and it was fine. So I also do have a fairly high confidence in ATI

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  22. ErikAlbert

Well FDISR and ATI have both proven their reliability on my computer.
    In the beginning I was really worried about ATI after reading the Acronis Forum.
    That's why I tested ATI so many times in normal and extreme situations and I took any opportunity to use ATI, more than FDISR.
    The fact that the restoration (not the backup) from my Seagate HDD is slower than I expected is only a speed/time issue.
    I won't ditch ATI for that, because ATI will always do it much faster than a manual re-install.

My separation of system and data was also successfull. Thanks to Seagate HDD I was able to put each partition on a separate harddisk.
    Whatever happens to my system partition, I always will have my personal data and I was very glad that Firefox/Thunderbird have such a good structure to allow me to put my settings, emails and address-books on my data partition.
    All installation files of my downloaded (free and paid) softwares are stored on my data partition, which is very convenient, when I have to re-install one or more softwares on my system partition.

The combination "Add/Remove Programs + Total Uninstall + Registry Cleaner" to install/uninstall softwares was also a good decision. My only problem is still the registry cleaner, I can't find one that meets my wishes.

I'm taking care of all problems, I have seen in forums during two years, systematically.
    I'm not finished yet and there is still much to do, but I'm very happy with the results so far.

It's not my goal to convince other members of my choice, I take my own decisions because I have also an analytical, logical, intuitive and creative brain, much better than any existing software. :)

23. wilbertnl

Maybe you will never be finished.
    That is one aspect that I find really attractive in Information Technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.