FDISR and Faronic's Anti-Executible

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Peter2150, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I just finally figured out a conflict I've been fighting for a week. And the culprit. Anti Exec.

When I got home from vacation, I did updates on both machines in terns of FDISR. On my Intel machine, all seemed okay. Update took about 4 minutes. On my AMD machine it took over 20 minutes. I ran it again, and watched. During the preparing to copy phase the indexed directory count stopped arount 2400. I thought it had hung. It sat there chewing CPU for 20 minutes and then moved on and finished fine. I messed with all kinds of things and disabled and uninstalled and nothing changed. That delay always was there and it was 20 minutes. Looking at the logs I noticed this started back at the beginning of August.

I emailed Raxco and got a reply pointing to scanners or a failing drive(it was neither). Raxco did confirm it wasn't big files that would affect that, but the number of files might.

I decided to do some updating before searching further. In the process of all that suddenly that time seemed almost back to normal. The pause at the 2400 level was down to about a minute and a half and seemed okay. Problem solved, I thought.

Today after working on the machine all day, I did an update with FDISR. Dang the delay was back at 7 minutes. What the heck. I started thinking about what programs might have lots and lots of files. Then I remembered during the FDISR update, there were a heck of a lot of AE files. I tried opening the directory to see how many and each time I tried explore.exe hung up. Note that had had AE disabled, but what I did do was after the updates I did, I turn it open, let update, and then disabled it. I had a lot of trouble uninstalling it but finally got it.

Now FDISR rips thru the preparing to copy with no pause, and the full update run with FDISR takes about 2 minutes total. Removed it from the Intel machine (where it was also disabled) and there was a signficant improvement in my times on that machine.

If you are using AE, just beaware if something strange starts happening this might be a good place to start.

Pete

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the report. I hope u have reported to Faronics as well.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Until now, I had no such problems with AE, but AE can be a very annoying software. I keep it anyway, because it protects me against unauthorized executables and I have only a few security softwares. :D

4. Peter2150

I know. I kept installed but turned off, but installed, and only turned it on when needed. It was giving me all this FDISR trouble when turned off.

5. Peter2150

Actually aigle, I haven't. Although installed I was only using it about 5 percent of the time. Too annoying for me.

I'd have to open a support ticket over there, and the they would want this and that and more and more, and frankly I've wasted enough time on the whole thing to last a lifetime. And then if they started to blame FDISR....... Both my system are much happier with it gone.

I've warned FDISR users, and thats about as far as i can go with it.

PS. I will let the Raxco folks who helped me know about this though.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Maybe it was because it was always off and you did many updatings.
    After each updating, I turn AE back ON and sometimes AE displays a wait message, not very long but visible.
    I think it is updating its whitelist or something.

7. Peter2150

Thats what I was doing. Something might have corrupted it as I never saw the major delay on both machines. Still it was adding to the FDISR times on both just not noticeable. Not worth it for something I was barely using.

Anyway be aware if FDISR starts acting strange, look at AE first.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, I can understand this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.