FD PC RESCUE uninstall problem.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Osaban, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've fully uninstalled FD PC Rescue twice, and always using its own utility from the startup menu. Everything proceeded apparently without any problems except that it leaves behind a huge folder which contains the rescue snapshot (in my case 23 GB).

Trying to delete this folder proved impossible as during the procedure several alerts popped up advising "You need permission to perform this action" (see attachment). I googled for a solution, but the solutions suggested didn't work for me. Now, I'm running Vista with full admin rights, and I'm furious about the fact that either Vista is too safe or FD PC Rescue leaves behind something that can't be deleted (probably to protect from malware).

I had to restore an image in both situations to get rid of that folder. Anybody has experienced this problem? The uninstaller should be able to fully uninstall, shouldn't it? Am I doing something wrong? Restoring an image is not the end of the world, but why is this happening?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Was there an option on uninstall as to whether you leave the snapshots or not? There is in the original version. You might watch for that.

Deleting the folder manually can be done, but you have to be able to access the security provisions on the folder and override them. I've never done it with Vista.

Pete

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Pete,
    Yes, there was a choice as to uninstall only the program and leave the snapshot or to uninstall completely everything (I chose to uninstall everything). Now, I think that to leave a folder with the snapshot is not a bad idea as it would allow you to recover some info if any as a last resort, but I could not delete it, as you mentioned it has probably more to do with Vista's security provisions trying to protect a folder that is seen as essential for Vista, than with the FD uninstaller.

Google provided several procedures to change the folders security levels but none worked for me (or may be I'm not good enough at following instructions! After spending 2 hours at it, I thought it's quicker to restore). I also suspect that Vista64 might have something to do with it.

I can live with it, as the idea was to delete the snapshot so that my backup image wouldn't be so big (saving 23 GB even compressed is a big chunk of drive). A comment from the developer would be the best though.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Hi Osaban,

While I'm not familiar with FD-Rescue, is there an option within the program to delete/remove the snapshot? If so, you may want to try that first (and verify that it is really gone) and then uninstall the whole program.

It appears that FD-ISR Rescue is to be an EOL product . This older news opened/opens hope for some. :thumb: ;) :D :doubt:

Most importantly, this stumbling block that you encountered was not really a big issue for you as you easily were able to fall back to a not-too-old image.:D Imaging... a very important safeguard.

Skol

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hello there,

As far as I know there is no possibility to delete the snapshot as there wouldn't be any reason to have the program in the first place; there is an option to uninstall the program WITHOUT deleting the snapshot.

Thanks for the link, I find Horizon DataSys not a very good host for any applications, as a matter of fact I'll have to stop the maintenance plan (about 5$ a year), as it is ridiculous if they admit the software won't be developed any further. Some applications are good as they are, and they don't really need to change unless a new OS is released and compatibility issues arise. A typical example is ShadowUser Pro, working flawlessly on my XP machine for 5 years now(not compatible with Vista unfortunately).

I might just stop using FD PC Rescue for 2 reasons: first the topic of this thread, secondly the copy/update takes 10 minutes most of the time, ShadowProtect Desktop(my imaging software) takes 7 minutes. I'll have to think about it, and I'm not in the least interested in RollbackRx.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good grief, that's pathetic! Copy/update on my system only takes about 2 minutes max. What did Horizon DataSys do to FirstDefense? Or could it be something else causing the extremely long time?

Acadia

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

From experience the copy/update time depends on the amount of changes between the 2 snapshots, it goes without saying that not performing the operation frequently it would add to the time required to refresh the the target snapshot. However, I've noticed that only 'indexing' before copying takes a good 2-3 minutes + the time related to the amount of changes. Hence times varied between a minimum of 5-6 minutes to an average of 9-10 minutes as I would perform the operation weekly rather than daily. It's not related to hardware as my machine is fairly fast.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

True, I backup daily, and the entire process including indexing takes about 2 minutes but like I said, I do this daily.

Acadia

9. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

Do you run CCleaner or other program to clean up before you backup daily?

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No, I do not. Sometimes I'll clear the cache in my browsers but that's about it.

Acadia

11. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Try with mst Total Access running if you can still download it somewhere (not sure it ran under VISTA), or rather LockHunter http://lockhunter.com/download.htm (shouldn't hurt to try).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.