FD-ISR + ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by LoneWolf, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Using Rollback Rx for a while now but thinking about maybe tring something else. Sometimes I have the CHKDSK problem :( but read in this forum that it may have to do with an error on the snapshot and not Rollback directly.
    Only once did Rollback give me a real problem restoring to a snapshot but was still able to use the baseline to restore.
    Now a lot of you say how great FD-ISR is and some use more then one of this type of software.why? I mean some use FD-ISR alone but some use FD-ISR + Paragon Drive Backup or FD-ISR + ShadowProtect. Or some other combo. Why o_O
    Is ther a major benifit to this?
    And if I uninstall Rollback Rx to try another one is there a chance that somewhere in between uninstalling Rollback and installing FD-ISR something could go horriably wrong and I would be left with an unbootable pc?
    That would drive me crazy. o_O

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Lonewolf

FDISR is a recovery program. Won't save you from a hard disk crash. Well thati's not entirely true, it can, but an image say from Shadowprotect is much faster. They really serve two different purposes and each is beneficial.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR works only for partition [C:] and ignores any other partition.
    So if you have several partitions, you need a backup solution for these partitions also.

In case of a harddisk/partition[C:] crash and you only have FDISR-archives,
    then you have to install Windows + FDISR manually and then you can restore your FDISR archives.
    An image of Windows + FDISR can avoid this manual install of Windows and FDISR.

In case FDISR is corrupted, you will also need an image backup software to restore partition [C:].

You need minimum Image Backup and FDISR is luxury, you don't really need it, but it's nice to have if you want to restore your system quickly.

4. LoneWolf

I understand FD-IRS is a recovery program and Shadowprotect is imaging, but what I want to know is what exactly is the differance and what differant combo's the members here use and why. Also programs like DeepFreeze how would they benifit with a recovery/image software. Alltho i've learned a lot since first joining Wilders I still need to learn a lot more. I'm curious to what other members use and why.

5. LoneWolf

Thanks for the info ErikAlbert. That kinda explanes to me the differance between the two .

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi LoneWolf,
    I bought both Rollback RX and FD-ISR. And I use them both. Here is my combo.
    Rollback RX as an in instant recovery method
    FirstDefence-ISR as a multiboot system (I hate having lots of partitions :D )
    ReturnIl as an extra layer of protection.

ps. if you use a semi-frozen state with Rollback RX you will never have to deal with the "chkdsk bug".;)

7. LoneWolf

How do you mean ?
    How is that done ?

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

FD-ISR + Acronis TrueImage is what i use. Fdisr is great for recovering from windows crashes which sometimes happen due to my tinkering around. But sometimes i'll crash my system so badly i cannot boot into fd-isr. Thats when i use acronis trueimage to completely restore my hard drive image so everything is fully functioning again.

I also use deepfreeze although not for anything to do with recovery/imaging. I use it for testing out software (or malware). If anything goes wrong or i don't like it i simply reboot and all traces of it are gone.
    I suppose deepfreeze is one way to help prevent the need to restore as all changes are undone on reboot. However if the hard drive crashes deepfreeze is useless, only an imaging program can save you then.

9. ErikAlbert

Lonewolf,

With FDISR you can have upto 10 snapshots.
    Each snapshot is another partition [C:], but the contents can be different.
    You only have to boot in another snapshot and you have a different partition [C:].
    Each partition is independent and has its own OS, which can be the same OS or win2000, winxp, or winVISTA.

You can do that with image backup also, if you have the patience to restore your image each time.

10. Peter2150

Hi Lonewolf

What I use is ShadowProtect for imaging
    FDISR for recovery and testing

I also use Sandboxie and Shadow Defender, as combo clean up tools, and online virtualization tools.

Pete

11. pandlouk

First you will have to disable the automatic snapshots.
    Then you should create a new schedule like this:
    Select task: Rollback System
    Schedule Type: Restart
    Restore Settings: Rollback system to the latest snapshot
    What about other snapshots: Keep all the other snapshots after Rollback

And you will have a semi-frozen state.:D ;)

12. LoneWolf

Thanks, i'll try this.

But it would still be a good idea to have an imaging software, right ?

13. fce

fce Registered Member

really?

14. pandlouk

Absolutly! The imaging software is the utility that you will use rarely but is the one that it will save you when everything else fails.

You do not have to buy a paid version thow. There are some great freewares out there. give them a try and choose the one that fits you better.:)
    http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm
    http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page
    http://selfimage.excelcia.org/
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
    http://dubaron.com/diskimage/
    http://www.miray.de/download/sat.hdclone.html

ps. If you have a seagate or a maxtor drive you can use their imaging software
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard for seagate
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD for maxtor

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  15. pandlouk

Yes :D

16. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Imaging is, lets call it: your first line of defense. Indespensible !!

FD-ISR as Erik says: "A luxury" A luxury I consider indespensible ;)

...screamer

17. fce

fce Registered Member

how come?

i mean i never experience chdsk error yet with rollback rx, but how did you know that using semi-frozen system of rollback rx will eliminate chkdsk error with rollback rx?

18. LoneWolf

If this works well for me and I stick with Rollback Rx, what good,stable,reliable image program would work well with Rollback paid or free ?

And would something like Deepfreeze work with Rollback or would it even be needed ?

19. ErikAlbert

Good question. I sincerely hope you find one.
    The popular Image Backup softwares, I know, cannot restore ALL RBRx-snapshots, except the baseline or current snapshot, UNLESS you create a RAW image and I don't know how much time this will take. Test it out, before you buy one.
    The RBRx-users I know don't talk much about backup/restore and they don't answer my questions either regarding backup/restore. :)

20. LoneWolf

Thanks again ErikAlbert for your help.

What about FD-ISR ? What would be a good choice for an imaging software?
    ATI ? Paragone ? Other ?

21. ErikAlbert

The fastest and very reliable Image Backup software at this moment is "ShadowProtect Desktop v3" of StorageCraft, if you don't mind the activation during installation.
    FDISR has no problems with Image Backup softwares, like StorageCraft, Acronis, Paragon, Terrabyte, Norton, except the backup utility of Microsoft. LOL.

22. appster

appster Registered Member

I was wondering if you guys who have experienced the chkdsk problem with Rollback Rx are using v7.21, v8.0 or v8.1?

I've been using Rollback Rx v7.2.1 (Build 2691424265) since last Christmas and I've never had a chkdsk issue, or for that matter, any other problem with Rollback!

23. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I have a question that I don't think I've ever seen here regarding backing up.

I have a backup image of my C: drive saved on Drive D: using Paragon Disk Manager. The backup is my complete C:, including XP, word processor, security software, etc.

IF my C: drive failed and i replaced it with a new one, how could I get the backup onto the new C: drive. I'm assuming I'd have to reinstall XP and Paragon first. Could i then move the backup back to C drive, which would save time over having to reinstall all the software I have on board now?

Just curious.

24. fce

fce Registered Member

i'm using ver. 8 for more than a week and run chckdsk a lot....i've never experience any chkdsk problem.

25. Peter2150

IF you mean backup in the sense of copied files you are right. If you are using an imaging program, no. You would boot to it's recovery disk, and restore the image to the new disk. In this case you should test everything ahead of time to know it works.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.