FD-ISR suffers from "the year 2038" bug

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by hany3, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

after testing i've found that FD-ISR is among softwares that suffer from the famous "the year 2038" bug
    setting the pc clock above the year 2038 after rebooting it results in crash of the FD-ISR service and complete failure of FD-ISR functionality
    this bug is due to defects in the encoding language in which the software has been written being an old one
    this bug represents a major security hole when found in any software esp. those concerned with pc security

the 2038 bug was present in many old versions of many softwares like outpost , and many others , ..but it's absent now in the new outpost but it's sill present in many well known softwares for example the internet download manager ,as well as all java releases but i'm sure it will be fixed sooner in these softwares being continuously updated

so i hope the FD-ISR programmer releases a new release which fixes that bug

for more informations about the that bug
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

why would you want set the pc clock to the year 2038, just curiosity

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I was just thinking that. It's 29 years away and more than likely any bugs referencing the year 2038 will have long been fixed by the time you reach it, assuming you're still around to see the year in.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

In 2038 I'll be 99 years old and my biggest concern if I'm still here will be to change my shorts. :D

5. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

coz my 6 years old kid loves FD-ISR :D

interesting
    but i think u will not need it coz the temperature will more than today

but a part from jokin here are the reasons that made me to talk about this bug

1-when u love somethink u want it perfect
    2-such bug is a major security issue , just to change the clock and every thing will be gone
    3-PRACTICALLY there's no furthure development of the FD-ISR which means that any major bug "related to the basic programming language "will not be fixed
    4-there's NO availble live clones to the FD-ISR "right now there's no software similar or even come close to FD-ISR
    which means that the future may be deprived from such software category
    5-i thought that FD-ISR is among the well-programmed softwares but presence of this childish bug indicates the reverse

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I assume you're talking about the original FD-ISR. The developer whose handle I can't seem to remember at the moment, frequents this forum, and has provided us with 2 updates in the past out of the goodness of his heart. Perhaps he will help if he gets wind of what you speak.:)

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

From what I am hearing and reading, Operating Systems if they still exist, and personal PCs if they still exist, will be so vastly different as we know them even 15-20 years from now that I'm sure FirstDefense nor any of the other current software that we are all using simply will not work on whatever there is 29 years from now.

Acadia

8. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

again , i'm not talking about the future effects of this bug after 29 years , if u read the reasons in the 5th reply u will understand that most of them are curent side effects "by medical terms " for this bug

9. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

yes

yes and we very much appreciate that
    but these was minor releases but fixing this needs reprogramming and recoding of the software from the start updating the programming language of it

and i hope so

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Todd is very much still around and if needed, can still make adjustments to the current discontinued product.

11. minasmwl

minasmwl Registered Member

yes u r right
    i never expected to see this problem in fistdefense-isr
    i changed the clock then tried to open the fd-isr then all i got was crash of the fd-isr service and in the main GUI there's nothing "no archives , no snapshots " the program become totally non-functionaing even when i reset the clock back to normal because the servive didn't stopped , and i had to re-boot the computer to get it functioning again
    "disappointing" :thumbd:

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

You see, that's the problem. You changed the clock and for the life of me I can't see why you'd want to change it to 2038. I have no desire to change it to 29 years from now; I want it to show today's date and time. If it doesn't then something is wrong, and I, of course, will fix it.

13. axial

axial Registered Member

I'm not an FD-ISR user (at least yet) but if I might make an observation, I think you're missing the point.

Surely the bad guys must be working diligently to take advantage of known programming issue such as the 2038 problem and exploit it just to cause general havoc and consternation and thus get their jollies? It doesn't seem at all far-fetched to imagine a piece of malware changing the system date and waiting for unsuspecting users to reboot, only to find their system seemingly compromised, or worse, losing data, snapshots, whatever. Lost productivity and the potential F.U.D. factor seems particularly high for a relatively minor bit of hacking effort that doesn't even need any knowledge of a specific s/w target.

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There isn't near as much doing malware for "jollies" at this point, but for economic gain. To that end the malware folks want to hide there nasties so they can do their work quietly behind the scenes.

Somehow changing the clock and causing havoc, which can be fixed easily, doesn't strike me as a clever way of hiding.

15. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

this bug is only characteristic to the 32-bit OS and is NEVER found in any 64-bit OS

BTW , it has been long ago "almost 3 months" since i 've seen todd posting something here in the forum

i just liked to see his comment here

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well we will just see what we can do. He does log in periodically.;)

17. Peter2150

He may not post, but he checks in. Looks like he was logged in the last few days.

18. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings All,

I do check the forums every few days. In fact, you currently caught me on my vacation (first in a long long time)

Thanks for the info on this issue. I have made note of it. Sadly, as most of you know, FD-ISR is a legacy product that was taken off the market several years back. Future development is minimal at this point. I would love to see this change as well as most of you. So what I am saying is lets not hold our breath for a patch in the near future on this issue. I hope that did not sound rude.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you and enjoy your vacation.

20. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

as expected

bad news which made me somewhat disappointed not coz this bug will not be fixed but coz this reflects the real status of FD-ISR in the future and its future position among other live
    up-to-date softwares

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  21. Peter2150

Given Todd's previous announcements, there is really no surprise in any of this.

22. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Sorry, but couldn't keep quiet any longer.
    What does it take for people to understand that the Original FDISR is :-
    1. No longer marketed.
    2. No longer officially supported (although we are incredibly lucky to have Todd still taking an interest)
    Why should we expect a patch, or any further development at all?

Compared to MOST other software companies, FDISR AND the support we have enjoyed is almost unique and we could wish that the other companies would be half as customer service orientated as Leapfrog.

Rant over, but still p****d off.

23. Peter2150

Kennyboy's post said it. The real status of FD-ISR in the future is over, as in OVER.

24. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

i think all of us know that very well
    but people who very much love FD-ISR , they find this difficult to believe that FD-IST has stopped

u know ! this is what's called in psychiatry "DENIAL" or "defense mechanism"

for example when someone loses a very close relative "died in an accident for example" , he remains for sometime does not believe "or does not want to believe that " a kind of defense mechanism in medical expressions

so that i think we should not blame too much people who come here and request patches for some bugs or request new features like windows 7 support

i think dreaming of a perfect world "or even a better one" is not too harmful :D

25. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

recently i exchanged some emails with todd about this issue and provide some little information and some guides to fix this bug and he promised to review them in details

best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.