FD-ISR sounds perfect, so how do I get it?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Scoobs, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

So from a cursory glance around the forumsit seems FD-ISR offers something very similar to what I'm after (and currently using primarily Returnil to replicate).

ErikAlbert (loudly!) extolls FD-ISR's virtues and I read Leapfrog's expanations for discontinuing the product with some puzzlement. Not sure I could ever stand someone's reasons for discontinuing a viable product...

So, how do I go about replicating it? Is Returnil the closest I'm going to get?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Problem is it wasn't viable. Works yes, but no company can continue a product that loses money.

Probably the closest you can come in my opinion would be VM workstations.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR is simply the best in possibilities, the rest is LESS. I'm working and reading about these softwares almost 2 years. ShadowUser was my first interest, but never used it, because FDISR changed my mind.

I'm not really waiting for another ISR-software or another FDISR-clone - reboot, reboot, reboot, ... :rolleyes: - I'm dreaming of something else.
    Alot can happen in 5-10 years and I'm very sure that blacklist scanners won't be #1 anymore in the next coming years, it shows already.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Erik, I can almost hear you thoughts,i guess it has everything to do with an easy,userfriendly kinda VM Ware solution with multiple snapshots and the choice to save changes at reboot. LOL :D

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

VMware "snapshots" feature already does this. It is making incremental snapshots of a base VM, something like RollbackRX. VMware even asks you whether you want to take a snapshot (for the ability to restore) or just shutdown (retain the changes).

The main reason why VM solutions cannot replace FDISR-type software is still (and will be for some time) hardware resources, namely 3D graphics. There is no VM solution available currently that addresses more than 64 MB of video RAM for a guest VM.

The approach more similar to FDISR would be to use VMware Converter to convert a live system into a VM. The only thing you don't have is an app that will convert/restore a VM onto a live system/bare metal, and I don't think VMware is heading in that direction. It would be great to have such an option though, so there you have something to "dream" about ;)

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.