FD-ISR snapshots/archives Preservation Techniques

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by EASTER.2010, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Please share your practices and routines which you find most beneficial and completely reliable in FD-ISR in safely preserving your FD snapshots & archives without making mention of Imaging the drive/partition.

For example, do you use the EXPORT/IMPORT feature and how dependable is it proven to your confidence since using this mega-recovery app?

Do you save them also to USBflash storage drives? External Disks i'm sure some have. What about to DVD/CD's?

Have you even gone as far as Copy/Paste manually to another drive the ARCHIVES in an effort to keep duplicate spares on hand in the event they for some reason might have been found corrupted or deleted by accident. Maybe someone is blindly used a RegCleaner that killed references to them on a partition where they were safe but because of that a simple CHKDSK considered them as corrupt and therefore removable. (Thanks $M Grrr)

The reason for this topic in case you're interested is i recently taken the precaution (i think), to COPY archives over to BOTH a partition on the same drive and also alternate second drive to preserve these in case of emergency. I made a new folder named Auxillary Snapshots on the same drive to a partition and noticed when i copied the archives MANUALLY via explorer, they lost their color BLUE in the new folder but still show up in the FD-ISR Options/Archives List. I even done Copy/Updates to them successfully w/o errors.

This is probably an overreaction on my part but i have recently experienced a not so welcome surprise i never expected, like my archives being declared corrupted by the system tool CHKDSK after i used a RegCleaner. After it ran, then all my archives (7) were ruined except (2) and so had to rebuild them again.

2. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

NTFS compression...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/en-us/dnarntpro00/html/ntsf.asp

Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I Export my initial SS to external USB HDD, then, every Sunday it's scheduled copy / update.
    Remains compressed as Copy of Primary SnapShot.arx

...screamer

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Easter

I have my archive on both a 2nd internal drive, and external USB drive. I don't do manual copies as 16gig files are just to big. I created them both from within FDISR by just changing the location. I update the internal one frequently, the USB one about once a week.

I find them totally reliable. I actually use the archive as my secondary snapshot so to speak, as I don't actually update my real secondary snapshot at all, just use it as a place to boot, when needed.

Pete

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I keep my two archives on an external harddisk and my freeze storage is stored on my data partition (second harddisk).
    My freeze storage = archived on-line snapshot. That's all.

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

First off my thanks for the MSDN notes. It's actually been awhile since i bothered to run over some of their pages. Still the info is useful.

Understand. I mostly use the FD Manager settings /Options/ too for sending archives to various locales. It was just a curiosity of mine if a simple Copy/Paste would affect the end result of the archives in some way. Apparently not. 16 GBytes is big alright but i understand you prefer to work with things that way & without partitioning. I think right now the largest archive of snapshots (7), i have is 8 Gb from an 200 GByte Drive divided up by 3 partitions, the largest being 80-Gb.

That was another interest i had, in the EXPORT/IMPORT feature. I just zeroed another HD for the purpose of only storing Archives but considering also an EXPORT of at least one full snapshot also, more if theres enough room, 40 Gb Seagate.

I'm beginning to see more light on your excitement and confidence with that single FROZEN snapshot. It's kept to that separate disk drive & hence safely away from potential reach/harm from the main system and for all practical purposes then safe.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This is of course my personal unfinished experiment and nobody has to follow me.
    We are all adults and every member has to decide for himself, what is good for him or not and only blame himself when he took the wrong decisions.
    I consider posts at Wilders as INFORMATION and it's upto each member to decide what to do with that information.
    If I would listen to each good advice, my computer would be too small.

I'm just warning you that you might not like my solution if you would see the whole picture and it takes a long post to explain the philosophy behind it.
    Don't forget, I'm a less-knowledgeable user, who doesn't know much about internet, malware and anti-malware and there could be alot of wrong reasonings in my approach, but I'm well armed to learn from my mistakes without pain. In the past it was always painfull to learn from my mistakes, but not anymore.

8. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have my archives on one internal drive and two external drives, one which is stored offsite along with my Acronis images.

I have been copying the archives from one drive to the other. Your idea of just changing the location and updating from within FD-ISR never occurred to me. Thank you Peter. That is another great benefit from visiting these forums.

Silver

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep, it sure is a neat way to exchange info. I can't believe all I've learned here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.