FD-ISR ~ ShadowUser -> engaged!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by wilbertnl, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes it is indeed a big relief and frankly I was very lucky that a defragmentation was running and paying attention to the PD-icon, while I was freezing an active snapshot in order to nail my problem.
    Freezing doesn't seem to be very popular amongst FDISR-users and that's most probably the reason why they never noticed a problem.
    In fact it was YOU ("FDISR + SU") why I started testing the freezing and that was very good otherwise I would have never seen this problem or much later. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hm, I have a strong feeling that a 'freeze' is the same as a regular archive, but with a very specific function.
    The freeze file even has a name: 'freeze storage.arx' and when you move the freeze file to your regular archives folder you will find it in the archives list.
    I bet that when you defrag the partition that you use for archives, while at the same time creating a new archive, you create the same disaster.
    So, this would be interesting for all of us.

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/images/freeze.png

3. ErikAlbert

FDISR advices you to put that "freeze storage.arx" on another partition in order to save space on your system partition, but what if you don't have another partition? After all many users have only one partition.

I'm going to wait for a reply of Raxco and their answer has to be good or I will reply back. I paid enough money for this software, so it better works properly, even the rarely used functions of FDISR.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik

What do you mean you don't agree with me about users turning off scheduling defrags. It's very simple to turn off boot time defragging, and it's equally easy to not have automated defrags running.

As to how to do that, read the bloody manual. Duh?? To expect Leapfrog to figure out when any and all defraggers could be running is tough. May be there should be a warning to be sure defraggers are off. The chair keyboard interface has to bear some of the responsibility.

I too will be curious as to how Raxco answers you.

Pete

5. ErikAlbert

I expected a reply on my remark about you :D , but we differ alot in reasoning and I'm also curious how Raxco will answer to me.
    Let's wait and see how Raxco reacts. It's my very first contact with Raxco. :)

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

For what it's worth, I asked Raxco tech support about having FirstDefense and PerfectDisk on the same computer a couple of years ago. They assured me that as long as you had the later versions of PerfectDisk, the versions that keep a watch for FirstDefense, that there was no way PerfectDisk could mess up FirstDefense BUT that was with the old version of FirstDefense that did not have the Freeze option. Should be interesting to see how they reply now.

Acadia

7. ErikAlbert

If I was Raxco, I would try this for real. It's very easy for them to create that situation. If I can do it, they can do it and then we can start talking about it. If I get a reply, I will post it. No secrets with ErikAlbert :)

P.S. : I hope Raxco doesn't start its reply with "Thank you for choosing Raxco..." like Acronis does. :D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  8. wilbertnl

@ErikAlbert,

Thank you for choosing Raxco. :-* :-* :-*

So, are you in the mood today for a test of the creation of a new FD-ISR archive, while at the same time defragging your archive partition?
    (And how about trying that while defragging with the common Windows defragger, too?)

9. ErikAlbert

LOL. Frankly, I'm dead tired of these tests, I lost alot of freetime to create these situations and to get the idea that PerfectDisk might be involved.

10. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I am doing that right now. I'll report back. My prediction: MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.

11. Peter2150

ROFL. Erik I can relate to that. I had to use rollback while Raxco and Leapfrog were figuring out why my FDISR was broken. But every time they needed me to test something I had to Uninstall Rollback, Install FDISR, build a snapshot, then try booting to it. Oops not working yet so uninstall..... You get the picture. It's also why I am not to inclined to try every new version of Rollback. FDISR is working, good enough for me.

As to the fluke you ran into, this is why I Image when nothing else is happening, do all FDISR actions with nothing else happening, and defrag with nothing else happening. Just reduces the chance of a fluke conflict. This is me.

12. crofttk

Test begun: 10:43 AM USCentral Time

10:55 AM and all is well - FDISR Archive creation at 4% (LOL - 5 hours remaining), Windows Defrag at 50% complete, PD7 (smart placement) defrag at 35% complete

11:20 AM and all is well - FDISR Archive creation at 23% - 3 hours remaining, Windows Defrag complete, PD7 defrag at 66% complete

11:54 AM still hanging in there - PD7 just finished with no problem

12:09 PM FDISR just finished archive creation to the (twice) defragged drive

and everything is hunky-dory.:D

13. Peter2150

Hi Crofttk

If you are really feeling brave, how about a snapshot freeze or unfreeze(requiring reboot) with an offline defrag.

Pete(causing trouble):D

Actually the acid test of the archive you are building now, is to restore it to a brand new snapshot and try booting to it.

14. ErikAlbert

I get the picture. I've alot of experience with testing softwares and it's often a very irritating activity that requires alot of patience and persistence.
    Testing ATI was often a thriller, especially after reading Acronis Forum. :D

15. crofttk

OK, well I don't know freeze from shinola right now PLUS my wife came to Houston for a "conjugal" visit this weekend :)-* ), so, perhaps I can follow up on both of these Sunday after she's on her way back to Allentown. I'll try the restore first and then read up on freeze and try that.

Now I'm off to find us something to do besides "conjugate" here today in Houston.;)

16. Peter2150

If she saw this post you would probably be very DEAD!!:D

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

My question is this: why in tarnation would someone want to create or update a Snapshot AND defrag at the same time? PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE, or else your entire lifetime of computing will be filled with error messages! :doubt:

Acadia

18. ErikAlbert

Because I test softwares in the most extreme situations and I didn't start the defrag, PerfectDisk did.
    Two softwares from the same company are killing eachother. That's quite funny. :D

19. wilbertnl

To my knowledge, PD does not start by itself, it starts when scheduled or when activated by user.
    How come that PD was running on your system without your consent?

20. ErikAlbert

My PD is indeed scheduled at 8:00 PM, but I was refreshing my snapshot early in the morning. Something else caused it.

21. wilbertnl

22. ErikAlbert

23. wilbertnl

And your computer was powered off at 8 pm, so it tried to catch up after you started the computer early in the morning?

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oops, sorry Erik, I missed that. :doubt:

Acadia

25. ErikAlbert

Yes that is what happened. But that doesn't change anything.
    As Acadia said, Raxco claimed that nothing could go wrong with both products and that was before freezing existed.
    I want a confirmation from Raxco, that a freezing can be damaged while PerfectDisk is defragging. That's all and that means that the user has to be very carefull with PerfectDisk and any other defragger.

EDIT:
    Maybe copy/update is also dangerous during defragging and that was before freezing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.