FD-ISR Freeze and Defrag

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Long View, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I would like to use FD-ISR with a frozen snap shot but find that every time I reboot the snapshot needs defragmenting. Initially I thought that Perfect Disk 8 would be the best match for FD-ISR , then I tried Diskeeper.

I Know that I can use DeepFreeze 6 within a Snapshot but has anyone found a way to just use FD-ISR Freeze and not have to defrag at every reboot ?

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello Long View :)

Well, I have FD-ISR, but as I have never used frozen snapshots I am not quite sure what's happening here. I just find hard to believe this statement

o_O Man, I defrag once a year! OK, maybe twice. :p Have you tried PerfectDisk with FD-ISR in the end? I think there is a problem with Diskeeper and FD-ISR. It must be misinterpreting the fragmentation level somehow...

Cheers.

EDIT: You have intrigued me, so I have now checked my regular (un-frozen) snapshot with PerfectDisk. I have not defragged my HD for more than 2 months and it is 6,7% fragmented....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  3. Long View

Hello The Seer

Have just restored a clean image and installed FD-ISR and Perfect Disk 8.
    No problem with ordinary snapshots but defrag a snap shot, freeze it and then reboot and its like the defrag never happened.

With so many saying how wonderful FD-ISR is using Freeze I am surprised that
    the combination works so badly.

Perhaps the problem is caused by the way Freeze works ? using the arx file to correct C; with no regard for file placement.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

ErikAlbert might could shed some light on that since he is purposed for some time to make a lot of use from Frozen snapshot feature of FD-ISR.

Personally, i likely would use it too if not for Power Shadow Master :cool: ability to basically do the same thing without the overhead of taxing disc space or speed and now this defrag issue.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use a frozen snapshot constantly, but I never cared much about defragging and I have other priorities. I try to do it once a month, but I usually do it, when I remember it. So I'm not a big help here.

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello again Long View. :)

I was never aware of such strange occurance with FD-ISR. Well, I keep FD-ISR as an Immediate System Recovery (archives), and I don't even use the snapshots (well, I have one - clean XP). I never tried freezing, I don't find it much usefull with my current setup. Good that I noticed this thread...

BTW Long View, what's the level of fragmentation (%)?

7. Long View

Problem solved. DeepFreeze 6 and Perfect Disk 8 work together to give me the
    best results. Initial Defrag reading of 0.0 . I would like to be able to continue to use FD-ISR and Freeze but neither Diskeeper nor Perfect Disk seem able to cope.
    certainly having no security programs slowing down an old machine gives it a new lease of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.