FD-ISR errors with NIS 2009

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Karen76, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osip

osip Registered Member

Ok, this is what I've done...
    1st: Made an exported update to my USB drive storage ( took some minutes) without errors. I was connected during the precedure and noticed when finished that an NIS update occurred 1 min ago when finished...meaning a pulse update finalized during FDISR operation without error.
    2nd: Created a new archive from scratch as in here:
    nis2009v2.png

also connected but no pulse update occurred...

No errors in both operations...

2. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

I have no idea why some of us experience FD-ISR errors with NIS 2009 installed and some members don't. SourMilk has to turn off Avira's "real time guard" or snapshot errors occur; I have no conflicts between Avira AntiVir free and FD-ISR. NIS 2009 has the dubious distinction of being the only anti-virus/Internet security suite which has conflicted with FD-ISR on my two PCs.

I originally noticed the NIS-related errors when copy/updating existing snapshots. The last few times I experimented, copy/updates completed without any errors reported but there were scores of errors with any newly created snapshot (my XP snapshots are around 16 GB in size and my Vista snapshots are around 22 GB). I can't fathom what accounts for the lack of consistency between my own tests and why different people have either no or plenty of conflicts between NIS 2009 and FD-ISR. The fact remains I inevitably get some type of snapshot errors when I use NIS 2009 on my XP and Vista PCs; that's sufficient for me to discard NIS.

I initially liked NIS 2009 enough (before I remembered to test it with FD-ISR) that I placed an order for a bundled package of NIS and some other Norton software from frys.com at a great price. I'm really glad now they were out of stock when my order was processed. :)

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I'll give a try and report back but only for completeness sake - it looks like this is having diminishing returns for Karen's purposes.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Just a little exercise/straw poll.

Ok: I made a new snap from Primary = 54 Errors :(
    NIS Live update off.

All the errors are "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
    And a series of "finalizing folder' errors at the end of the process

Redo copy/update of same snap from Primary = No errors

New Archive from Primary to second internal HD partition = No errors.

So, there is some problem. :(
    Seems other alternatives may also have issues.

Anyone willing to venture an opinion re the validity of the redo copy/update with no errors being ok ??

I know Todd is aware of this thread, but he is engaged with other projects atm and may not have any real time to address this for a while and I guess the reality may be that further development/problem solving with FDISR is down the priority list a bit.

I am reluctant to move away from FDISR but ...?? reality check..

Any comments please

Addendum: Just didi another copy Primary with Auto-protect off = 1 error " failed to copy Folder "Windows" ...in use..."
    That's bad!
    Redo immediately = No errors.

:doubt:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  5. Karen76

Er ... why "move away from FDISR"? o_O

IMHO, this is a NIS 2009 problem, not a FD-ISR problem. There are plenty of substitutes for NIS; none of which in my experience conflict with FD-ISR. If there's a reliable, equally versatile substitute for FD-ISR, it's escaped my attention. I pick the "move away from NIS 2009" option.

6. crofttk

I just count myself lucky that I'm not having a problem because I'm afraid I would end up writing NIS off in favor of FD-ISR even given the money I spent on NIS. Without NIS I can still instantly recover and/or reboot, if frozen, my system - without FD-ISR my system could screw the pooch and having NIS does me no good, then I fall back to the last resort - my Retrospect backups.

So, meantime, with NIS09 fully auto and pulsing updates, I just created a fresh archive from the active primary on a desktop with 0 errors. The fresh snap is currently in progress. When I check the outcome of that, I'll check what has been going on with pulse updates on NIS during the archiving and snapshotting time windows.

7. crofttk

Hehe, well Longboard was certainly effective in eliciting the requested comments, no?

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

maybe because its Norton, the one all, do all, screw up all.;)

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

To answer one question. When I've gotten a copy error, and recopied without error's, at least the archives are fine.

I am also a firm advocate of the "if it won't work with FDISR, it's not on my machine" policy. Fortunately, I've had very little problem.

10. crofttk

OK, just to confirm, I created a new archive AND a new snapshot, with 0 errors:
    Untitled-1.jpg
    No new info here, just double checking my earlier statement of no problems.

11. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Good, what is working for you.?
    The "move away from" comment was with respect to the possibility that FDISR might be having issues with other system configs.
    Very interested to test other suggestions.
    Yes, good for you. :)
    :)
    AS I said we're on the same boat here.

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Heck, I might not even make the jump from WinXP to the next Windows 7 if I can't take FD-ISR with me, I'm serious! ;)

Acadia

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

And you think you are alone?:D My may update my oldest desktop while the XP downgrade is still available

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Microsoft is stating that "most" programs that work under Vista will still work under Windows7 ... we can only hope! :doubt:

Acadia

15. Karen76

I read several posts by people complaining that some of their PCs with NIS 2009 had been auto-updated to v16.2.0.7 while others hadn't. In the faint hope this new version might correct my NIS/FD-ISR problems, I conducted some more tests. Most of my past experimentation occurred using my XP SP3 PC since that's the one whose AV license expires next month. This time I started with my Vista SP1 PC.

I rebooted into my Secondary Snapshot, uninstalled KIS 2009, rebooted, and installed a trial of NIS 2009. Leaving all the default settings intact, I ran LiveUpdate which downloaded/installed 11 updates totaling 15.97 MB then rebooted. At this time NIS 2009 was v16.0.0.125. I ran LiveUpdate again and it downloaded/installed 3 updates totaling 9.65 MB; after rebooting NIS was v16.2.0.7. In previous tests, this second update was 20.12 MB in size and resulted in v16.1.0.33.

I created a new FD-ISR snapshot which completed with no errors. :thumb: Hooray! Just in case this was a fluke, I started all over again with a clean slate, installed NIS in a new snapshot, updated it to v16.2.0.7 then created another new snapshot. Again, no errors! Great, the newest version of NIS 2009 seemed to be compatible with FD-ISR on my Vista PC.

I performed the same steps on my XP PC; a new snapshot completed with 44 errors. Drat! Copying the Secondary Snapshot to an existing Alternate Snapshot resulted in 2 errors:

Error - GHW:: CreateFile: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Windows error number 32
    Error - Creating folder "Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared" in "Alternate Snapshot"

I created another new XP snapshot which produced 136 errors.

So NIS 2009 v16.2.0.7 works on my Vista PC but not my XP PC ... er, no, turns out it doesn't after all. Almost as an afterthought, on my Vista PC I copied my Secondary Snapshot to the Alternate Snapshot: 4 errors were reported in the activity log. It seems bizarre to me that two new snapshots were created without any errors but a simple copy/update produced errors. In past tests, it was sometimes possible to make "clean" copy/updates but never new snapshots. Now, my Vista PC was making error-free new snapshots but copy/updates with errors.

None of this makes any sense to me. :mad: Why are some FD-ISR users having conflicts with NIS 2009 and some aren't? Why can copy/updates or even new snapshots sometimes be created without errors and other times there are errors. Why do two ostensibly identical snapshots created a short time apart vary between 44 and 136 errors? FWIW, Birdman still has me beat with 25,300+ errors in a single snapshot.

16. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

^^^ Karen, I just gave up trying w/ NIS 2009....dumped her....and went back to my old flame, KIS 2009. To be honest with you, I should have sticked with Kaspersky in the 1st place. I guess I was so swayed by the positive reviews of NIS...that I decided to change not because I had to, but because I wanted to try something 'new'...which is NOT a good reason to switch IMO.

Since installing KIS, my system and FD-ISR is running *perfect* again. When it's time to copy/update a snapshot....I don't even think about it and watch it closely as I did w/ NIS always worrying that it might screw up again.

~Comment removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008
  17. Karen76

I "gave up trying w/NIS 2009" at least three times already. I hope this last time will be permanent. ;)

"her"? :eek: Females are renown for being placid and easy to get along with. I submit there's overwhelming evidence NIS 2009 is a "him." :)

On my Vista PC, I still have over a year left on my 3-year KIS license obtained from the Systweak bargain I discovered on a Wilders thread years ago. There are a few programs I have to add to KIS's "trusted zone" to avoid problems but I've never experienced any conflict between KIS (or any other AV/ISS except for NIS 2009) and FD-ISR. I guess I'll stick with Avira AntiVir free and Online Armor on my XP PC.

Compared with previous versions, I'm sure NIS 2009 is a definite improvement. Personally, I could do without NIS installing browser toolbars and the irritating Norton Account nonsense. But if I can't get NIS 2009 to consistently work without FD-ISR snapshot errors, it's of no use to me.

~Quote from edited post removed. - Ron~

I appreciate your magnanimous offer but please give your NIS code to some unfortunate creature who doesn't have FD-ISR or one of the lucky folks who don't have snapshot errors with NIS 2009 installed. Besides the glowing reviews, what attracted me to NIS 2009 was the fact 3-PC licenses are frequently available for little or no cost (after rebates). It would be nice to have the same AV or security suite on both of my PCs, particularly for a modest price. However, there appear to be "irreconcilable differences" between NIS 2009 and FD-ISR on my two HP Pavilion PCs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008
  18. crofttk

Aaaaah! I THOUGHT you might comment on that! My better half and I have been informed, however, that we have had it easier rasing 4 boys and only one girl than vice versa!:ninja:

:doubt:

19. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I completely formatted my drive and installed a fresh copy of XP Pro from scratch. Did all the Windows Updates and installed only the necessary softwares like Java, Flash and a few 3rd party programs. I omitted anything that *might* conflict w/ NIS 2009 (like User Profile Clean-up service, which I previously had).

I then installed NIS 2009, which promptly updated to 16.2.0.7. I then rebooted and added "C:/$ISR" to both scan exclusion and Auto-Protect exclusion lists. I also disabled the 'Norton Product Tamper Protection' feature. Then I ran a 'Norton Insight' scan and a Full System Virus scan.

After a reboot, I decided to make a snapshot. The only thing I did was turn OFF the "Auto Live Update" feature until the copy/update was complete.

Upon completion there were NO errors to report. I waited an hour and updated the snapshot again (same as above)....NO errors showed up again.

So far, so good.....but still way too early to tell. What happened previously might have been a conflict with some other program or my XP was going bad.

BTW the only programs I have running in "real-time" along w/ NIS 2009 are WinPatrol Plus and Ad-Muncher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.