FD-ISR Compatible with dual boot Win 7 & Vista?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by tutor772, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutor772

tutor772 Registered Member

Before Windows 7 was officially released, I tried installing Win 7 RC1 in an empty snapshot on my Vista system using the instructions posted in another thread by pandlouk. It "sort of" worked--I could boot to the Windows 7 snapshot or the primary Vista snapshot, but not to any of the other snapshots I had. When Windows 7 was officially released, I decided to install it in a new partition. I first uninstalled FD-ISR from Vista and then installed Windows 7 in a new partition. I can now dual-boot to either Vista or Win 7.
    I'll wait for the Win 7 compatible version of FD-ISR before installing it. But here's my question: if I install FD-ISR (Win 7 compatible version) on Win 7, will I still be able to dual-boot? That is, will the Windows boot menu come up first, and then if I select "Windows 7" will the next screen be the FD-ISR menu? Or will the installation of FD-ISR wreck the Windows boot manager?
    I know this is speculation at this point, but I'm wondering if anyone has FD-ISR installed on a dual-boot system, like a Vista and XP dual-boot configuration, and has FD-ISR working properly. Thanks for any ideas.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good question and I will also be awaiting an answer to this one. By the way, tutor, what dual-boot software are you using?

Acadia

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, it will work but it will be displayed after the FD-ISR boot menu.

Panagiotis

4. tutor772

tutor772 Registered Member

Pandlouk: Thanks for the note. I was hoping I could keep the dual boot setup, whether FD-ISR comes before or after the Windows boot menu.
    Acadia: I'm not using any special software. I simply followed the "generic" instructions for setting up a Windows dual-boot configuration: I created a new partition on my hard drive, booted from the Win 7 DVD, selected a "clean install" and told Win 7 to install in the new partition. The Windows boot manager detected my previous Vista installation, and now when I boot, a Windows boot menu appears, giving me the choice of booting to Win 7 or Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.