FD-ISR Boot Sector issue

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by samy, Jan 28, 2015.

1. samy

samy Registered Member

On my computer I am running for years with no problem, 4 snapshots (Two XP and Two Win7x32). I decided to install a new one running Win7x64 and after the installation to remove one of the Win7x32.
    I opened an empty snapshot and installed the win7x64 program, ran the bootsecx64 from above thread.
    When trying to run FD-ISR program, I've got a message:
    "the Boot sector for the Windows systems volume is an unknown type"
    and FD-ISR installation stopped.

What goes wrong during the installation?

thanks

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Why don't you install Raxco Instant Recovery, which is basically a FDISR improved update. I think you can get a discount if your a FDISR user.

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Probably, nothing went wrong. Sometimes in Windows 7 and later a partition bootsector change (or even a file change) is not reflected immediately in the OS, sometimes it could take 30 seconds or more for the OS to become aware of the change (I do not know why it's happening and is more frequent with 64bit); if you run again the FD-ISR setup it should proceed with the installation just fine.

Panagiotis

4. samy

samy Registered Member

Hi Pandlouk
    I tried twice to install it with no success. the same problem: FD stopped in the middle of the installation. I will try again tomorrow.
    Are the bootsect in your tutorial above still "valid", since the pictures have been removed.

Hi twl845
    1. I am using FD on my old PC for years
    2. I checked on Rasco site and they are not showing the product price. It is mentioned to contact them by mail in order to get the price?
    3. how to obtain a discount? To send them the FD program or just to inform them/
    4. Do you know if using InstantRecovery a mix of Win7x32, Win7x64 and Win8x64 is possible?

thanks

5. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

4. Do you know if using InstantRecovery a mix of Win7x32, Win7x64 and Win8x64 is possible?

FDISR and IR both work for me

6. pandlouk

Yes, the bootsect files seem unmodified.
    Can you post a screenshot of your disk management?

-2. Do not go to the business page of raxco. Go to the consumer page and buy it from there (69.99$).
    -3. I do not know if that discount is still valid.-If not... a discount of 20% should be offered directly if you select buy remain on that store page, and open another tab in your browser and navigate to another site. When you go back to the store tab there should have apperead a 20% discount popup.
    -4. Yes

Panagiotis

7. samy

samy Registered Member

Hi Pandlouk

I performed another attempt trying to install WIN7 on an empty snapshot. Same issue.
    Attached is my disc management.
    The "20% discount" is working. I will use it when getting a new PC and leaving FD on the old one.

Samy

Attached Files:

8. pandlouk

Hi Samy,

your partition layout is ok. I do not understand why the selfexecutable "bootsect_x64.exe" does not work; UAC prompts you to elevate to admin (as it should) when you run it? If not run it as admin.
    If even then does not work, extract with winrar the file "bootsect.exe" open "cmd" as admin, go to the directory where you extracted it and run the following command
    bootsect.exe /nt60 sys

Panagiotis

9. Tronix74

Tronix74 Registered Member

I tried the Raxco product and my impression is that it will only take a snapshot of the primary drive (C:) and store only up to 10 snapshots. I thought that FD-ISR could snapshot multiple drives (much like Rx Rollback).

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No. And 10 snapshots on disk would be huge. You can make multiple archives. FD-ISR (now IR) is nothing at all like Rx Rollback.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.