FD-ISR and Vista UAC

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by DVD+R, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Bassically this issue needs to be looked into, Because you cant run FD-ISR unless you disable Vista UAC Control Center, I tried it yesterday, and it wouldnt load into the taskbar, when I clicked on the icon in programs, I gor a popup notifiying me I needed to be an Administrator to run FD-ISR on Vista :blink: I am the Administrator on Vista, so what the hell! :blink: When I disable UVA it loaded into the taskbar. Also what needs to be looked at is the huge snapshots, I mean 37GB Primary and 37GB Secondary is WAY!!!! too MUCH, and this was on a fresh install with only MS Office, and AntiVirus Installed :thumbd:

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You have to ask yourself "Do I really need multiple snapshots ?"
    If you don't have a good reason, you better use a similar software with only ONE "snapshot".
    It won't be a "snapshot" like in FDISR, because all these softwares use a different method, but they require less space, than FDISR, like DeepFreeze, ShadowUser, Returnil, ...

WinXPproSP2 + MS Office Pro 2000 require less space of course. My system partition = 3.11gb.

Your rollback snapshot can be an archive stored on an external harddisk, while your secondary snapshot can be reduced to the absolute minimum. Peter uses this method.
    The secondary snapshot is in this case used as a refuge snapshot, where you can boot to, when something goes very wrong in your primary snapshot and from there you can fix your primary snapshot with an archive (= rollback snapshot).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You shouldn't have any problems with vista if you are using the latest version of FDISR. Sounds like you have an older version with those pop up's.

As far as the snapshot sizes, nothing to look into. It was designed that way. Rest of Erik's comments apply here.

Pete

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s a lot of space compared to XP. I can never afford it on my laptop. Seems FDISR can never be a choice on a laptop with Vista, atleast for me.
    BTW how much space a clean install of Vista needs? Seems too much compred to XP!!

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Wow that was really big snapshhots :eek: Fresh install and everything.
    I have a couple of Vista snapshots, they are a bit bigger than a XP snapshots. My main Vista snapshot is 8GB and the second Vista snapshost is 6.79GB (compressed), but they are not fresh installs. I dont have office but I doubt it takes 30GB. And on top of that I have 3 XP snapshots also. making a total of 35GB. Never felt any space problems with FDISR. Still have room for more snapshot if I choose in my 50GB partition. But I might add that I do install games and other extremely big programs on another drive or partitions.
    Something must be very wrong with your stuff.. that is not normal with FDISR.

6. Peter2150

Both snapshots should be the same, but I don't see anyway that FDISR can increase the size of the primary. It is just what was there when FDISR was installed.

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I was playing with FD-ISR on a laptop yesterday. I installed FD-ISR BUT did not make a secondary snap shot immediately. The amount of space used on C: had however doubled. Later I did make a secondary and the amount of space used remained the same. This suggests to me that FD-ISR automatically takes enough space for the secondary snap shot at installation.

My main reason for trying to install on the laptop was that I did not want a secondary snap shot. I just wanted to freeze the primary snapshot - and save space. Apart from the space problem I also found that the time taken to reboot to a frozen snapshot was unreasonably long - nearly 5 minutes on a 3 year old Acer.

I can only imagine how much worse things might be with Vista.

8. Peter2150

Hi Longview

You should be able to strip down that secondary snapshot and regain some of the space. I had no trouble doing that.

Pete

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Hi Pete

The point I was trying to make was that even Before I had made the secondary snapshot the space had been taken. C: was originally using 5.2 gig. Then I installed FD-ISR . space now taken 10.4 approx even without having made a second. Then I made a second and space taken was still 10.4

when I have more time I will try again and record the proper figs.

OT

In the meantime I'm using FD-ISR for snapshots and need to find a freeze program for 2 laptops. just tried DeepFreeze on an old machine. DeepFreeze didn't like the set up and didn't install correctly. When I tried to remove it it refused ........... Tried to use Acronis from withing windows but it simply rebooted..... very impressive program - wish I could get it to work. Finally killed it off with an Acronis boot disk - I have lost count of how many time that boot disk has saved me.

end OT

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Generally 9-17 GB dependant on Vista Version

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.