FD-ISR and shadowprotect

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Atomas31, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I have install FD-ISR (the original) on my laptop (with Vista), I've made 2 snapshots + my primary snapshot. The 3 snapshots are up to 114Gb... Now, if I want to make a backup image with my Shadowprotect is there a way to exclude the 2 snapshots made from being backup by shadowprotect and that way I should have a backup of only my primary snapshot (around 50Gb)?

The reason is a lack of space on my external hard disk and I can't buy a new one:(

Thanks,
    Atomas31

2. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Unfortunately ShadowProtect works on sector level instead of file level. That means ShadowProtect cannot exclude files nor folders. This has a positive side effect. If you are forced to make a bare metal restore with SP all your snapshots are available too. So I would rather invest in a new hard disk.:)

Or you could anchor all your temp folders and therefore exlude them during snapshot creation. This keeps your snapshots small.

Frank

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

What you could do is make Archives of those two Snapshots then delete those Snapshots. That way your ShadowProtect image would be much smaller. After the SP image is made, use those two Archives to recreate the two Snapshots then delete the two Archives. Sounds like a lot of work but that should work perfectly.

Acadia

4. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for your answers!

@Minimax - Looks like you are right there is no way to exclude a file from a backup made with SP...

@Acadia - I can't make that since it would come back of me putting the total 114Gb (the 2 snapshots archive and the backup of the other snaps) on my external disk wich I can't...

I believe that I would have to delete the 2 snapshots make a backup image of my primary snapshot and recreate the 2 snapshots... Well that's live o_O

Thanks,
    Atomas31

5. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay so you image and exclude those folders. Then if you restore, they aren't there. Wouldn't surprise me if it screws up FDISR. So how do you get them back. I will say this is a bad idea until someone restores the image. Saying a program will image it proves nothing. The proof is in the restore.

Pete

7. MerleOne

Just about restoring the other snapshots, you can do this from archives, if they were archived of course. If I were to perform such a partial backup, after restoration, the first thing to do would be to delete the now empy snapshots, create new ones and restore them from archives.

But I admit all this gets quite complicated so a full image is probably a much better idea.

8. Peter2150

You are now getting to the reason, why I only keep two snapshots on the drive, and use archives. The 2nd snapshot, is totally stripped and is simply a place t o boot.

9. MerleOne

I'll probably do something similar, except my 2nd snapshot would be frozen, to be sure it remains intact and bootable.

10. Peter2150

Mine is in the sense I never do anything to it. No need to freeze it really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.