FD-ISR and Rollback Rx Pro 8 in Perfect Harmony Together

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by DVD+R, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hey :) I've worked out how to fix up FD-ISR Vista Issues and Rollback Rx Vista Issues :) Install them together :cool: FD-ISR first and create a Secondary snapshot, then Install Rollback Rx Pro 8 ;) I'm running them both together,and the get along like strawberries and cream :D Two Excellent Recovery programs = Double the protection :cool: and not one single Glitch :cool: In fact my computer is running like a Hot Blonde on Fresh Silk Sheets since I tried this combination :p :D Its fast :cautious: stable :cautious: and runs like Lightning :shifty: Only wish I'd tried this out a while back :rolleyes:

2. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Just curious, but WHY do you need 2 programs that are essentially the SAME on your system?

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Think about it Birdman :cautious: Should the unthinkable happen and something goes wrong that I cant restore with one program, I just use the other one :cautious: In the unlikelihood that both fail, well I guess then I'm up the **** Creek! :p but also, they do both work differently,and seemlessly together.

4. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

How do you defrag with such a setup? I thought that rollback has a proprietary defrag system such that it creates conflicts if you have 2 snapshots?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What I did, before Rollback again crashed and burned on me, was with Rollback installed, I just defragged with Rollback. I could update an FDISR archive with Rollback installed. But to do a regular defrag and image, I would uninstall Rollback.

Pete

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Peter, I find Diskeeper works seemlesly with both installed :)

7. osip

osip Registered Member

How can that be ?...Seems impossible in theory to me...

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Glad it works for you but it is not recommended.

Thanks,

Chris

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It may appear to work as indeed does Perfect Disk, but you are actually working against yourself, in that neither defragger will see anything in the Rollback/Eazfix snapshots. It also may potentially cause problems, as I suspect the defraggers might see the sectors holding data from those snapshots as empty.

Pete

10. SD Scooter

SD Scooter Registered Member

I have to agree with Birdman here. IMO having both of these programs on the same computer just seems too paranoid to me. I am using FDISR now. Have a primary snapshot that gets copied to a daily and a weekly archive, and I have a stripped down emergency boot snapshot. Then I create an image of the system every couple weeks. Most of my files such as photographs and music are periodically backed up onto DVD and/or external drives for further protection. Heck, I even keep a back-up image at a different location in case of fire, etc.

That seems safe enough for me...probably much safer than most even. I just don't see the point in managing two programs that basically do the same sort of thing. But that is just me...to each his own...

11. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Mainly because of the quick snapshots (a few seconds vs. a few minutes with FD-ISR) available in Rollback plus the ability to Archive snapshots to an external disk with FD-ISR.

Also, with Rollback, you can recover individual files from older snapshots.

These are the main differences that I am aware of. Rollback v7 and FD-ISR work very well together once you get the hang of it. I even have used this combo on my Raid 0 machine with no difficulties using XP Pro.

Be sure to have a good imaging program also, particularly if you are using Rollback v8 as many have had disks crash with this version, which trashes the hard disk infrequently with an automatic chkdsk, leaving no preboot screen for Rollback or FD-ISR.

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Maybe I should have been more specific :) The Offline Defrag works perfectly with these 2 installed, which defrags the MBR as you know, Rollback Cant do this.......I Dont think so anyway o_O

Oh and osip :cautious: All I can say is...Expect the Unexpectable :shifty:

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

You sounded like Big Brother then! :D

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

How do you know I'm not him :cautious:

Ahem! :cautious: "This is Big Brother" :shifty: TonyW to the Quiet Room please :cautious:
    hey Tony do they still give Green Shield Stamps at the supermarkets in Southport :shifty: Oh Wait! I'm thinking of Stockport not Southport :cautious: :p

15. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I currently have FDISR installed, but I can certainly see a use for having both installed (quick software tests spring to mind). But I'm confused about the potential issues- can I not defrag (currently use UltimateDefrag) with both installed?

Also, I guess that you would need Rx Pro 8 installed in all snapshots? Does Rx Pro 8 not get confused?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

what you do is install FD-ISR and create the secondary snapshot. Then install Rollback Rx and rebbot when it asks you. Next of all you should then update the Secondary snapshot in FD-ISR. Lastly update the baseline of Rollback Rx and your All set to go :cool: And i've had no conflicts at all :cool: What I personally did regarding the defrag issues is, first I defraged my C: Drive to a absolute Zero defragmentation level, then I installed FD-ISR, after creating the secondary snapshot I defragged again to an absolute defragmentation level,and then installed Rollback Rx. I find the Internal Defrag in Rollback keeps ontop of any loose fragments,and there shouldnt be a need to do a full defrag again. However people say you shouldnt defrag with Rollback installed, but doing so has Never caused any problems for me, It just takes hours to defrag thats all ;)

17. rendez2k

Thanks DVD+R

So the internal defrager defrags the whole system? I thought it was just Rx Pro's own files?

One other bit of confusion - Rx Pro needs to be installed on all FD-ISR snapshots for that snapshot to boot (even if you have 2 or 10 snapshots)? Rx Pro then appears to share its snapshots?

Lets say I take an Rx Pro snapshot, then boot to a completely different FD-ISR snapshot and restore my Rx Pro snapshot there - what happens to my FD-ISR snapshot? Hope that makes sense - even I'm getting confused with all these snapshots!

18. rendez2k

OK, found out this is a useless setup unless I'm missing something - if I rollback in one FD-ISR snapshot it rolls them all back to that point (was hoping the FD-ISR snapshots were somehow protected). On the plus side, I tried to break the Rx Pro by defraging and running chkdisc and everything is still fine.

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Wow :blink: Now your confusing yourself lol Ok lets go over it again step by step.. lets presume you have just formatted your patition so you have a New Setup:
    1: Defrag your System
    2: Install FirstDefense-ISR
    3: Create the Secondary snapshot with FirstDefense-ISR
    4: Defrag Again (this will now take a while and is Optional)
    5: Install Rollback Rx and Reboot (Rollback is now installed on the FirstDefence-ISR Primary snapshot,and Has its own Primary snapshot)
    6: Update the Secondary snapshot in FirsrDefense-ISR (Rollback is Now installed on the Secondary snapshot Also along with Rollbacks Primary snapshot)
    7: Update the Rollback Baseline (to do this choose the Update Baseline to Current System NOT! the Rollback to Baseline or you will lose the Snapshots in FirstDefense you have just done. After Rollback reboots the system and Creates a New Baseline All the FirstDefense-ISR and Rollback snapshots are Combined into the New Baseline)
    8: Setup is now Complete, you can use Rollback as you would Normally, or you Can reboot to either Snapshot you create with FirstDefense the choice is unlimited and entirely up to you

Now remember as long as you keep the Secondary snapshot in FirstDefense Updated you can reboot to that snap and everything will be fine. As an Example, should something go wrong,and Rollback or FirstDefense does not Rescue, then the Other One most certainly Will :D

I hope this clears up any confusion and both Programs work seamlessly together providing double the Recovery Options :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  20. rendez2k

Thanks DVD+R - I'll try reinstalling. Do the Rollback Rx snapshots defiantly not roll back all your FD-ISR snapshots with this setup? Also, what defrager do you use?

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

rendez2k the beauty of this is that you wont have to create several snaps with FD-ISR you do them with Rollback instead, I Use FD-ISR and create 3 snaps Maximum, Primary Secondary and Baseline.which is my System snap with nothing installed but updates and drivers, and I use PerfectDisk 8 Defrag, it takes a long time, but it will work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.