FD-ISR and Perfect Disk

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Long View, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I think its right that PD assume that everything is just a file,so solution is simple exclude (drive properties) second snapshot C:\$isr\0 or 1 depending in which snapshot you are in !

Theoretically PD should make a mess if the other snapshot is not excluded,c.q. different files with same name and maybe same access date/time,so PD becomes confused as to how to place these files,but then its just guessing and i suppose that PD handle them well,at least AFAIK these seemingly issues are not reported yet.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes a little bit. To FDISR each snapshot is unique, but to windows, they are files that reside on the c: drive. With a bit off work they can even be visible when in any snapshot.

I don't keep PD in my secondary, but if I defrag from my primary, and then delete the secondary I can see where all the files were deleted. They are scattered. If I then defrag, and add back the secondary, these files now are generally in a separate cluster. Defrag, and they are mixed back in.

Pete

3. osip

osip Registered Member

yes, but even if they are files to win the defragger deals with the system according to its optimization rule...i.e placing the most important files to the outer track...
    Ok, it´s not a problem I just want to understand it...I guess that I´m for the moment using a different FDISR approach than you...You have the secondary to return to if and when restoring from an archive, the primary is your working snapshot.
    I use 3 snapshots with different security setups for testing and freely switch.
    1. Primary with BD IS 2008 (3 month trial)and threatfire.
    2. Secondary with ESS (licensed) and threatfire.
    3. Extra with Avira antivir PE 8 (6 month trial)and Comodo D+.

to all these I have fixed archives and additionally current archives for fast return.

So, in my case, when I switch to another snapshot the system is reckognized as genuine system and in the same time it has been taken out from FDISR:s file closet (where it eventually was defragged as file)...In this case,if you want to have it optimized, I think you should redefrag it for track optimization...In this scenario I exclude $ISR totally.
    Well, this is my thoughts to the matter...I´m not saying this is right, but indeed works great and enjoyable...

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes, but PD doesn't distinguish between genuine system vs other files. I believe it just looks at one of the date characteristics and places them according to when they were last modified.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing, just I don't think it is really doing much.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.