FD-ISR & Ace Utilities

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ErikAlbert, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This is what the registry cleaner of ACE Utilities reports after installing FirstDefense-ISR, including a primary and secondary snapshot, in other words a full install.
    These registries are supposed to be removed.

[Begin of report]
    Report Created on 24 May 2006, 11:22 AM by AU Version 3.0.0.4038

Header 1: Location
    Header 2: SubKey
    Header 3: Entry/Name
    Header 4: Data
    Header 5: Reason
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PDUnmovableFiles
    $ISRBIN
    C:\$ISR\0\$ISRBIN
    [Invalid Path: 'Data' Column]
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.arx
    .arx
    {KEY}
    [Empty Key]
    Total 2 item(s)
    [End of report]

It's depressing when even the good guys start removing eachother. :'(

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Are you talking about ACE utilities. I'd be real careful about what you do with registry cleaning vs FDISR. Don't know about the 2nd key, but the first for sure shouldn't be removed.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Who says they should be removed ? Ace Utilities ? How could THEY know ?

I don't think EITHER ONE of those keys should be removed as a result of installation. They both perform definite functions.

4. ErikAlbert

Well it shows definitely, how dangerous registry cleaners are for newbies and this is a beautiful example.
    That's why I'm looking for a registry cleaner with an IGNORE function.
    Ace Utilities has one, but I couldn't find a function in Ace Utilities to UNDO an ignored registry.
    (arx = extension of an archieved snapshot)

EDIT:
    I'm going to keep that report. Each time somebody is looking for a safe registry cleaner, I will show him an example of how 'safe' registry cleaners are. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  5. Peter2150

Hi Erik

I use Regsupreme Pro, and it is pretty good, have never seen it flag those keys. it does have an excellent exclude function, which resides between my chair and keyboard.

Pete

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

RegSeeker flags certain keys, but these can be excluded. These are what I had to add when I use the program:

2|SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\PDUnmovableFiles
    2|SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ISRService
    2|SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Control\Session Manager\PDUnmovableFiles
    2|SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Services\ISRService
    2|SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PDUnmovableFiles
    2|SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ISRService

Incidentally, I believe PDUnmovable relates to PerfectDisk I think.

7. ErikAlbert

Can RegSupreme Pro ignore a group of selected registries in one hit or do you have to ignore one-by-one ?

8. ErikAlbert

I have used RegSeeker and took a very good look at its exclude function.
    Very amateuristic. It's just an ascii file that can be read with notepad.
    It's not even a database like in most good registry cleaners.
    RegSeeker is very aggressive too, its only advantage is being free of charge and that's it.

9. crofttk

My choice is jv16 power tools 2006 for a registry cleaner -- same thing as RegSupreme Pro, Pete's choice, insofar as registry cleaning (which you can see here: http://www.macecraft.com/). I let it run on the "Aggressive" setting and then review what it's come up with before letting it clean up -- haven't had any problems with it yet.

10. ErikAlbert

JV16 has an ignore function, but only one by one, not in group.

Ace Utilities has a good ignore function, but I couldn't find how to undo it.

I couldn't find an ignore function in RegSupremePro, I must be blind.

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, there are some good and reliable reg cleaners out there, u just have to find them. From my own experience(daily); i use FD-ISR for some time, and have registry cleaners such as Registry Mechanic; Tune up Utilities; I use these reg cleaners for daily cleaning job, and have NOT encountered ANY issue with FD-ISR. Ace utilites has earned high marks in general, perhaps its reg cleaner has not lived up to THAT expectation!:-*

12. crofttk

Well.... the significance of that perhaps depends on how skilled you are in sorting, mousing, and keyboarding.:D

13. ErikAlbert

Has nothing to do with it. If you can remove registries in group, why not ignore in group. I just can't find what I want as usual.

14. Peter2150

Erik

I am not sure you caught what I said the exclude function was. Tis ME.:D

15. ErikAlbert

Right, after reading it back, I understand you now, but that isn't what I want. :)

16. crofttk

Well, as usual, you're being pretty picky, Erik, :D but that's your right and not for me to criticize.

My point was meant to complement Peter's insofar as I find it sufficient for my purposes to examine what the registry cleaner has flagged and, usually, through judiciously juggling the sort column and orders, I can use the shift and ctrl keys and a mouse to implement all the group excludes I need to. So, while a blanket statement about jv16 registry cleaner not allowing group exclusion may be valid for you and for a given technical definition of group exclusion, some of us are a little more relaxed about what group exclusion consists of and how useful it is.

's hier geen probleem.

17. ErikAlbert

Well I will explain my point of view.
    "Remove" and "Ignore or Exclude" are both actions and it sounds very logical to me that both actions have the same possibilities : one by one selection or group selection.
    "Remove" is a 'dangerous' action, if you remove the wrong registry.
    "Ignore" is a 'dangerous' action, if you ignore the wrong registry.
    So there is no difference between them and they both deserve the same selection methods.

If a registry cleaner reports 100-200 VALID registries, right after installing Windows, then I'm a little worried about removing all these registries without any reason and I don't have enough knowledge to "remove" all these valid registries in one hit, just because they aren't used YET.
    So it's alot safer for me to "ignore" these reported valid registries, because I don't want to see them anymore in the next report.
    It's alot of work if you have to "ignore" 100-200 registries ONE BY ONE and that's why I want an "ignore" with group selection.

Each time I install a new legitimate software, I run my registry cleaner and "ignore" its VALID registries, because almost any legitimate software has such registries.
    I don't trust the authors of registry cleaners either, because they all report differently.

Less-knowledgeable users will remove these reported VALID registries, because they think they are all superfluous, they want a clean registry and that's what makes registry cleaners 'dangerous'.
    If I "remove" a registry, I need to have a BETTER reason, than just a cleaning reason and if I don't have a better reason, I prefer to "ignore" them one by one or in group.
    I use a registry cleaner always before and after installing/uninstalling legimate softwares.

I don't need a registry cleaner, when I install softwares, I only want to try for any reason.
    FDISR keeps my registry clean in such cases because I just have to reboot with a clean snapshot and my registry is back in a healthy state and the software I was trying is gone too.

I have many doubts about users and authors of registry cleaners, who claim to have the knowledge of thousands valid registries to "remove" these SAFELY. It wouldn't be the first time that users remove the wrong registry and get in trouble.

Taking a backup of your registry is not a big help, if you don't know or remember that the registry could be the reason, when your Windows suddenly starts acting strange.
    Less-knowledgeable users will rather think of a malware, than restoring their registry in that case.

I hope you understand my point of view, which isn't so bad either. :)

18. Peter2150

Hi Erik

I've gotten more cautious about registry cleaners. I run it and just look over the list and remove/fix things that are obvious. Trying to do group exclusions could end up being more trouble then it's worth. i would personally stick with Regsupreme Pro. It has never gotten me in trouble.

Pete

PS It's really debatable if the whole thing is really worth the effort.

19. crofttk

Well, those are certainly good and well thought out reasons, Erik. I believe I must have thought many of these things one at a time before but never took the time to articulate them or organize them in my thoughts all at one time.

Despite that, though, I will confess that, for better or worse, I usually do a registry backup with jv16 and then just let 'er rip without any exlcusions. SO FAR, I haven't had any problems -- that I've noticed. I can't in good conscience recommend my approach to anyone because for me it's an acceptable risk and I'm willing to deal with the potential consequences but obviously it's not the safest practice.

Now, I can see from your thoughts above, that there's no way in hell you would do what I would do, but whatever it takes to make you feel secure and reliable with your system is all that matters.

20. ErikAlbert

Excluding valid unused registries dangerous? I would say removing valid unused registries is really 'dangerous'.

Not worth to talk about? Tell that to the less-knowledgeable user, who would remove the registries of FDISR in my original post, just because he thinks they are superfluous.
    Never compare your knowledge with the knowledge of other people, not everybody has the same brain.
    If I work on something, I always have the less-knowledgeable user in mind,
    knowledgeable users and experts don't need my opinion, they can take care of themselves.

21. crofttk

Peter will speak for himself but I'm almost certain he was saying that what is debatable is the value of the whole widespread practice of running a registry cleaner simply as a "preventive" maintenance item -- maybe too many of us run them just because it seems like the thing to do (not you, Erik, or anyone in particular) -- I'll have to agree with that and maybe even be suspicious of my own motives for running a registry cleaner.

Yes, the registry can become bloated and/or fragmented over time and, supposedly, that can affect performance but that claim may be more subject to debate than the value of defragmenting your hard drive and people are very quick to debate about the value of defragmentation.

On the other hand, I can see the utility and more easily justify the use of a registry cleaner if your machine has a performance problem or is behaving oddly/wrongly and you're trying to figure out what's wrong.

22. Peter2150

Erik, I understand what you are saying, but I guess my point is, anyone with enough knowledge to know what to exclude probably is okay, and I would suspect 99% of the folks out there should avoid a registry cleaner like the plaque. To dangerous.

Pete

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Registry cleaners under WinXP simply aren't needed like they were under the older Operating Systems.

Acadia

24. ErikAlbert

I agree with you and a SAFE registry cleaner doesn't exist, although I've read this often in other posts about registry cleaners.
    The way I will use my registry cleaner is pretty safe, I just need one with an ignore function, that allows me to select more than one.

I already contacted the author of AMUST Registry Cleaner, to consider an ignore with multiple selection and he will in the next version(s) of AMUST.
    The latest version of AMUST is as aggressive as RegSeeker, while the older versions weren't like that.
    It doesn't really matter which registry cleaner I use as long it has a decent ignore function.

25. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Erik, In another thread I thought you said you liked Tuneup Utilities 2006 (which I happen to use). I have never experienced any problems with it deleting any necessary reg-entries. ~pv

Last edited: May 25, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.