FC running as a service

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by pin, Nov 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pin

pin Registered Member

hi! i'm new to the bbs!

file checker is an interesting and useful program, but i have a question:

i chose to run file checker as a service, and when i go into the services list, i can see it. the service is listed as automatic. however, it says it's not started. is this correct? does the service start only when a change is detected? or should it be on all the time?

i'm using version 1.7.1.

=)

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Welcome, pin!

As you've might noticed, the author will not be around for a couple of days. Be assured he will address your question as soon as he has returned ;).

regards.

paul

3. pin

pin Registered Member

yeah i noticed, i just wanted to post before i forgot!

=)

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

That's a good reason for sure ;)

regards,

paul

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

My apologies for the late reply.

The service should be on all of the time. If you cannot see an icon in the system tray, and you do not see a process with "filechecker" in its name (on the process list in Windows 2000 and XP) then it is probably not running. :doubt: In that case, try manually running FileChecker, select the "Un-register Service" menu option, and then re-register it as a service (using the Install as Service menu option).

Please let me know if the above does not work. :)

Regards,

-Javacool

6. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

I tried this and it didn't make any difference. What service (or services) does FC depend on that might be disabled on some computers? Just a small probably incorrect guess on my part :)

7. pin

pin Registered Member

well i did it and checked the service. it didn't start, so i started the service manually.

i'm going to reboot and see if filechecker starts.

i also wondered about dependencies for this service. but when i looked in that dialogwindow, it said there were none.

8. javacool

The FileChecker service is set up so that it starts when Windows starts - no matter what other configuration settings you have. :)

I am still not sure why it is not starting on your system, when the service type is set to automatic. Could you either post or PM me with your system specs? TIA.

Regards,

-Javacool

9. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

I am having the same problem pin is reporting. The FileChecker service is listed as automatic but it doesn't start (acting as disabled). My system is an AMD 1.4 Ghz with 512 meg RAM. Running Windows 2000 Pro, Proxo, TPF 3, NOD32, TH guard and Pest Patrol. I scan (everyday) with SSD and jv16powertools. Weekly I scan additionally with AdAware, Internet Sweeper and PC-cillin (like PC-cillin would find anything after NOD32). If you want a list of running services or anything else. Just ask soon since i'll be offline in about 1 hour or so and will not be back till about 11:30 PM tommorow.

10. javacool

A list of running and disable services, along with a list of anything that you would consider "different" about your system (whether certain configuration options, tight security, etc) would be extremely helpful. If you do not feel like posting this on the board, feel free to PM me with it. :)

TIA.

-Javacool

11. pin

pin Registered Member

is there an easy way to give you a list of my running services?

should i post a startup list here?

12. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I think that´s what Javacool means, pin. And otherwise it would be a good place to start, to say the least.
    You know how it works, don´t you ;)

Regards,

Pieter

13. pin

pin Registered Member

i run an HP pavil., with the winxp home that comes with it. updated with SP1.
    some stuff:
    the winxp firewall is turned off. i run tiny firewall instead.
    for security, i am always running cookiewall, tcactive, tcmonitor, avg, nav2k2, adwatch, adsgone, and BHOcop and startpage guard upon boot.

14. pin

pin Registered Member

StartupList report, 11/9/2002, 4:31:58 PM
    StartupList version: 1.34.0
    Started from : F:\startuplistgenerator\StartupList.EXE
    Detected: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    Detected: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
    * Using default options
    ==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Tiny Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Idyle Software\Bandwidth Monitor\BandwidthMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft Ad-Aware\Ad-watch.exe
    C:\Program Files\AdsGone\adsgone.exe
    C:\Program Files\Wallpaper Cycle\Change Wallpaper.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\IDYLES~1\BANDWI~1\BWMNT.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
    C:\Program Files\File_Checker\filechecker.exe
    C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe
    C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
    C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinMX\WinMX.exe
    C:\Program Files\AnalogX\CookieWall\cookie.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Tiny Personal Firewall\PFWADMIN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DllHost.exe
    F:\tcpview\Tcpview.exe
    F:\startuplistgenerator\StartupList.exe

--------------------------------------------------

Listing of startup folders:

Shell folders Startup:
    [C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
    AdsGone.lnk = C:\Program Files\AdsGone\adsgone.exe
    BHO Cop.lnk = C:\Program Files\BHOCop\BHOCop.exe
    Change Wallpaper.lnk = C:\Program Files\Wallpaper Cycle\Change Wallpaper.exe
    CookieWall.lnk = C:\Program Files\AnalogX\CookieWall\cookie.exe

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Autorun entries from Registry:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

hpsysdrv = c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    KBD = C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    Recguard = C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    NvCplDaemon = RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
    IgfxTray = C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    HotKeysCmds = C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    S3TRAY2 = S3tray2.exe
    PS2 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
    AVG_CC = C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
    NeroCheck = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    CloneCDElbyCDFL = "C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneCD\ElbyCheck.exe" /L ElbyCDFL
    tcactive = C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tca.exe
    NAV Agent = C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
    QuickFinder Scheduler = "C:\Program Files\Corel\WordPerfect Office 2002\Programs\QFSCHD100.EXE"
    zSPGuard = c:\program files\pjw\startpage guard\spguard.exe /s
    tcmonitor = C:\Program Files\The Cleaner\tcm.exe

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

washindex = C:\Program Files\Washer\washidx.exe "Owner"

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

BandwidthMonitor.exe -CFG0 = C:\Program Files\Idyle Software\Bandwidth Monitor\BandwidthMonitor.exe -CFG0
    Lavasoft Adwatch = C:\Program Files\Lavasoft Ad-Aware\Ad-watch.exe /min

Enumerating Active Setup stub paths:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
    (* = disabled by HKCU twin)

[>{22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95}]
    StubPath = C:\WINDOWS\INF\unregmp2.exe /ShowWMP

[>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}] *
    StubPath = %systemroot%\system32\shmgrate.exe OCInstallUserConfigIE

[>{881dd1c5-3dcf-431b-b061-f3f88e8be88a}] *
    StubPath = %systemroot%\system32\shmgrate.exe OCInstallUserConfigOE

[{2C7339CF-2B09-4501-B3F3-F3508C9228ED}] *
    StubPath = %SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:/UserInstall %SystemRoot%\system32\themeui.dll

[{306D6C21-C1B6-4629-986C-E59E1875B8AF}]
    StubPath = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msgsc.dll",ShowIconsUser

[{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}] *
    StubPath = "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\setup50.exe" /APP:OE /CALLER:WINNT /user /install

[{7790769C-0471-11d2-AF11-00C04FA35D02}] *
    StubPath = "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\setup50.exe" /APP:WAB /CALLER:WINNT /user /install

[{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4340}] *
    StubPath = regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:U shell32.dll

[{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}] *
    StubPath = %SystemRoot%\system32\ie4uinit.exe

Checking for EXPLORER.EXE instances:

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe: PRESENT!

C:\Explorer.exe: not present
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer\Explorer.exe: not present
    C:\WINDOWS\System\Explorer.exe: not present
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Explorer.exe: not present
    C:\WINDOWS\Command\Explorer.exe: not present

Checking for superhidden extensions:

.lnk: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: yes)
    .pif: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: yes)
    .exe: not hidden
    .com: not hidden
    .bat: not hidden
    .hta: not hidden
    .scr: not hidden
    .shs: HIDDEN!
    .shb: HIDDEN!
    .vbs: not hidden
    .vbe: not hidden
    .wsh: not hidden
    .scf: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: NO!)
    .url: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: yes)
    .js: not hidden
    .jse: not hidden

Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

(no name) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}
    (no name) - C:\PROGRA~1\AdShield\AdShield\AdShield.dll - {7559B76E-0222-4d77-9499-CCE9EB4EDC2F}
    NAV Helper - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872}

Enumerating Task Scheduler jobs:

Norton AntiVirus - Scan my computer.job
    Norton SystemWorks One Button Checkup.job
    Symantec NetDetect.job

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[Update Class]
    InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\System32\iuctl.dll
    CODEBASE = http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37562.480162037

15. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

How to make a list of your services:
    (there could be some translation errors on my behalf)
    Start > Run > msinfo32 > OK
    In the left plane select: Software-environment > Services
    In the taskbar select: Edit > Select All > Copy
    and then paste them into your post.

Regards,

Pieter

16. pin

pin Registered Member

AVG6 Service   AvgServ   Running   Auto   Own Process   c:\progra~1\grisoft\avg6\avgserv.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Alerter   Alerter   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k localservice   Normal   NT AUTHORITY\LocalService   0
    Application Layer Gateway Service   ALG   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\alg.exe   Normal   NT AUTHORITY\LocalService   0
    Application Management   AppMgmt   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Automatic Updates   wuauserv   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service   BITS   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Bandwidth Monitor Service   srvBWMNT   Running   Auto   Own Process   c:\progra~1\idyles~1\bandwi~1\bwmnt.exe   Ignore   LocalSystem   0
    COM+ Event System   EventSystem   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    COM+ System Application   COMSysApp   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\dllhost.exe /processid:{02d4b3f1-fd88-11d1-960d-00805fc79235}   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    ClipBook   ClipSrv   Stopped   Disabled   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\clipsrv.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Computer Browser   Browser   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Cryptographic Services   CryptSvc   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    DHCP Client   Dhcp   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    DNS Client   Dnscache   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k networkservice   Normal   NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService   0
    Distributed Link Tracking Client   TrkWks   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator   MSDTC   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\msdtc.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Error Reporting Service   ERSvc   Stopped   Disabled   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Ignore   LocalSystem   0
    Event Log   Eventlog   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\services.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Fast User Switching Compatibility   FastUserSwitchingCompatibility   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Fax   Fax   Stopped   Disabled   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\fxssvc.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    FileChecker   FileChecker   Running   Auto   Own Process   c:\program files\file_checker\filechecker.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Help and Support   helpsvc   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Human Interface Device Access   HidServ   Stopped   Disabled   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service   ImapiService   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\imapi.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    IPSEC Services   PolicyAgent   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Indexing Service   cisvc   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\cisvc.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)   SharedAccess   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Logical Disk Manager   dmserver   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service   dmadmin   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\dmadmin.exe /com   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider   SwPrv   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\dllhost.exe /processid:{9bc5b651-952c-4947-ac46-563d2749c8a0}   Ignore   LocalSystem   0
    Messenger   Messenger   Stopped   Disabled   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    NT LM Security Support Provider   NtLmSsp   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    NVIDIA Driver Helper Service   NVSvc   Running   Auto   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\nvsvc32.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Net Logon   Netlogon   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing   mnmsrvc   Stopped   Disabled   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\mnmsrvc.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Network Connections   Netman   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Network DDE   NetDDE   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\netdde.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Network DDE DSDM   NetDDEdsdm   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\netdde.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Network Location Awareness (NLA)   Nla   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service   navapsvc   Running   Auto   Own Process   c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton antivirus\navapsvc.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Norton Unerase Protection   NProtectService   Running   Auto   Own Process   c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton utilities\nprotect.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Performance Logs and Alerts   SysmonLog   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\smlogsvc.exe   Normal   NT Authority\NetworkService   0
    Plug and Play   PlugPlay   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\services.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Portable Media Serial Number   WmdmPmSp   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Print Spooler   Spooler   Running   Auto   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Protected Storage   ProtectedStorage   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    QoS RSVP   RSVP   Stopped   Disabled   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\rsvp.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager   RasAuto   Stopped   Disabled   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Remote Access Connection Manager   RasMan   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager   RDSessMgr   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\sessmgr.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)   RpcSs   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost -k rpcss   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator   RpcLocator   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\locator.exe   Normal   NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService   0
    Removable Storage   NtmsSvc   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Routing and Remote Access   RemoteAccess   Stopped   Disabled   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    SSDP Discovery Service   SSDPSRV   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k localservice   Normal   NT AUTHORITY\LocalService   0
    ScriptBlocking Service   SBService   Stopped   Auto   Own Process   c:\progra~1\common~1\symant~1\script~1\sbserv.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Secondary Logon   seclogon   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Ignore   LocalSystem   0
    Security Accounts Manager   SamSs   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Server   lanmanserver   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Shell Hardware Detection   ShellHWDetection   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Ignore   LocalSystem   0
    Smart Card   SCardSvr   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\scardsvr.exe   Ignore   NT AUTHORITY\LocalService   0
    Smart Card Helper   SCardDrv   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\scardsvr.exe   Ignore   NT AUTHORITY\LocalService   0
    Speed Disk service   Speed Disk service   Running   Auto   Own Process   c:\progra~1\norton~1\speedd~1\nopdb.exe   Ignore   LocalSystem   0
    System Event Notification   SENS   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    System Restore Service   srservice   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper   LmHosts   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k localservice   Normal   NT AUTHORITY\LocalService   0
    Task Scheduler   Schedule   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Telephony   TapiSrv   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Terminal Services   TermService   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Themes   Themes   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Tiny Personal Firewall   PersFw   Running   Auto   Own Process   c:\program files\tiny personal firewall\persfw.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    TrueVector Internet Monitor   vsmon   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\zonelabs\vsmon.exe -service   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Uninterruptible Power Supply   UPS   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\ups.exe   Normal   NT AUTHORITY\LocalService   0
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host   upnphost   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k localservice   Normal   NT AUTHORITY\LocalService   0
    Upload Manager   uploadmgr   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Volume Shadow Copy   VSS   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\vssvc.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    WMI Performance Adapter   WmiApSrv   Stopped   Manual   Own Process   c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    WebClient   WebClient   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k localservice   Normal   NT AUTHORITY\LocalService   0
    Windows Audio   AudioSrv   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)   stisvc   Running   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Windows Installer   MSIServer   Stopped   Manual   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /v   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Windows Management Instrumentation   winmgmt   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Ignore   LocalSystem   0
    Windows Time   W32Time   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Wireless Zero Configuration   WZCSVC   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0
    Workstation   lanmanworkstation   Running   Auto   Share Process   c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs   Normal   LocalSystem   0

it's not very well formatted, but i hope you can read it.

17. pin

pin Registered Member

the reboot proved successful. filechecker started as a service and is in my tray!

i wonder what went wrong though? maybe a conflict.

18. javacool

It is always possible - strange that it just started working now...but at least it's working for you. :)

Regards,

-Javacool

19. pin

pin Registered Member

thx for the help anyway =)

20. sk

sk Registered Member

I could be in way over my head on this one, as well as way out in left field, not to mention mixing the bijeebies out of my metaphors to the point of criminality, but I've recently been reading up on some apparently very nasty MSIE and MS OS known bugs, some related to the starting or not starting of programs, and so I just thought I'd toss this out and see if it sticks. After reading over 100 or more posts today I think the problem, in a nutshell, has something originally to do with what happens when we upgrade either our OS or browser. Something is getting corrupted because of some improper date changing and it's mucking with permissions and affects all kinds of stuff. Here's a cut/paste from the main article(s), and at the bottom I'll post the link itself. I personally followed through on this patch and found that I had zero of the two parts I was supposed to have listed in the permissions box. And I just completed a total reinstall yesterday and a MS near total update tonight. And both of the parts that were supposed to be there were missing.

"This article was previously published under Q274696 SYMPTOMS
    When using your computer, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

Nothing happens when you click the hyperlinks on Web pages that are supposed to open a new window.

Nothing happens when you right-click a hyperlink on a Web page, and then click Open in a new window.

You select a hyperlink in Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Outlook Express and it does nothing.

In a drag-and-drop operation, when you attempt to drop an item to the Start menu or any folder on the system, the mouse cursor changes to a circle with a slash though it and it does not enable you to drop anything.

In Microsoft Internet Explorer, on the Edit menu, when you click Find (on This Page), it may not work or it may only work once.
    If you point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders, it does not work.

The Search On the Internet feature does not work.

When Microsoft Office Assistant attempts to start, you may receive the following error message: Problem occurred using Office Assistant, Do you want to reinstall it?

When you attempt to drag-and-drop a file from Outlook 2000 to a folder, the operation returns the following error message: Cannot create another system semaphore.

Unable to print from within Internet Explorer.

Unable to print HTML messages from Outlook.

Note that this functionality appears to fail in Windows Explorer as well as Microsoft Internet Explorer.

CAUSE:
    This behavior may occur because the Default Access permissions have been changed in the Dcomcnfg.exe tool.

RESOLUTION:
    To resolve this behavior, perform the following steps:

Click Start.
    Click Run and type:
    Dcomcnfg
    Click OK.
    Click the Default Security Tab.
    In the Default Access Permissions box, click Edit Default.
    Verify that both "System" and "Interactive" are listed with Allow Access. If either are missing, add them by clicking Add.
    In the List Names From box, ensure that the local computer name is listed.
    Set Type of Access to Allow Access.
    Select the account that is missing and click Add.
    Repeat the above step if both accounts are missing.
    Click OK.
    Click OK, and then click OK again to exit from the dcomcnfg command. For your settings to be updated you must log off, and then log on to the system.

MORE INFORMATION
    If the list of Access permissions is empty, the system and interactive accounts have implicit access rights. If a user or group is added to this list, the implicit rights no longer apply and only the users explicitly listed can have rights.

This is a change in behavior from Microsoft Windows NT 4.0. In Windows NT 4.0, the system and interactive accounts maintained their access rights even though they were not explicitly listed.

The following article may resolve similar symptoms:

For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

258549 OFF2000: Odd Behavior on Windows 2000 After You Install SR-1

E:\MegaMisc_2000Pro\RegistryModifications\274696 - Incorrect Settings in the Dcomcnfg_exe Tool.htm

sk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.