Favorite PRIMARY Antivirus You Use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Straight Shooter, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simply trying to determine the most popular ones being used by WIlders Folks...

2. Kaspersky...all the way!!!

3. Douglas

Douglas Guest

None of the above.

DrWeb, given 4.5 stars by the security experts at Wilders.org. :)

4. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

None of them.

I am using Avast 4 Pro as my resident, and RAV 8.6 as my 1. backup and DrWeb 4.29b as my 2. backup.

Result = No viruses!

5. :DI'm researching RAV....very interesting....

[move]Marvel.....Marvel....[/move]

6. I have been trialing Avast Pro, too.. I may start a poll just on Avast. I am surprised as to how much I like it..

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

The 'release' version of NOD32.

Strangely enough, I had sufficient intelligence to figure out how to use the program, what the buttons were for, how to set things to my liking.

Didn't have the "didn't see" , "must have missed" , "thought I did" "couldn't find" syndrome that seems a little prevalent these days and it's been working wonderfully for me.

And besides - I don' NEED no steenking emails! :) Pete

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I think that the guestion is meaningless. Everybody knows that McAfee, Norton, Pc-Cillin users are over 80 % of all AV users.

If the majority is the whole thruth, we can say that the ultimate best beer is Budweiser (which stold the trademark from the older original Budweiser, I mean the Budejowice Budwar from chechs, the only justice is that money talks), the best car is Chevrolet, the best watch is Timex (maybe now Seiko), the best Government was that in Russia under Stalin, and so on.

The pearls are hiding among minorities, that's my habit of life!

You must make you own decisions, and be proud of it! :D

Regards,
    Firefighter!

9. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

True too. No one can tell you what are you fond of.

Well I don´t know that. I have heard alot backwards. Know what is the secret of these master companies? It is always the same: success. They are KNOWN AV companies, easy to sell, easy to success now, like M$.....but not necessary the best solution you can have. And I know you know it too ;) . Succeeding brings other aspects to think of and that is PROFIT only. I mean that developing the products is no more so relevant than profit is.

best regards ~Ari^

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I trialed NOD32 cuz of price and their track record.Got hooked and now I wouldn't switch.I'm very happy with NOD32 in all aspects;speed,ease of use,updates available on a regular basis.I rely on NOD32.That's what it all comes down to with any av program,whether or not you trust it for protection.

11. Carren

Carren Registered Member

I can't speak for Pc-Cillin users, but there is a very good reason for why so many people use NAV or McAfee. Generally has nothing to do with the quality of the product (and I am NOT saying they are not quality products!) .... but has more to do with the fact that one of those AV's generally comes preinstalled on new computers.

Most people who use computers are NOT interested in how they work or security issues, or any of the other things that those of us who frequent these kinds of forums, are interested in. All they want to do is sit at their computer and type their html emails, chat to their friends, play online games, and maybe write the occasional letter or school assignment. They are happy to accept whatever AV came with their computer and trust it implicitly to protect them.

For that reason, any *real* public polls about "favourite antivirus programs" will always be meaningless. Just because a majority of people use a particular product, that does not mean that is the *best* product if the people using it are ill informed, do not understand the product and are generally not interested. JMHO ;)

12. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hello Carren and welcome to the forums.

You post was a very nice reply :D and also probably 99% accurate in its content.

Yes, a lot of PC owners/users will simply purchase a PC, with all the gizmos/bells/whistles on it and the only time they question AV would be when they have exhausted their "I want it to be the fastest/best/prettiest/etc. etc.; and how much it costs", then comes:

"Oh, BTW, does it have an anti-virus"
    "Yep, it's got Nortons, the *best*, etc."
    OH, GREAT, FANTASTIC. Here's the cheque. See ya.

Then they simply forget about it. No further questions.

Yet, by the same token, they will ask no end of questions about harddrive, the amount of RAM, what this video card will do as opposed to that one, etc. etc.

As Carren stated, it's just that's what most PC Vendors have supplied in the "Package Deal" to customers.

Let's face it, forums in general may seem like they have a lot of security minded people, but in the grand scheme of things the total membership of forums would be a drop in the ocean of PC users, even then, a lot of forum members don't read "security" related threads, just general tech talk, chat, etc.

Nortons, has done a splendid job of marketing, selling its product and that's fine.
    It is recognised as a major player, etc. in the AV/System Protection world, just like NIKE is in the sporting world. Marketing is the key. Also of course, the product MUST be pretty good, as all the good publicity would soon turn sour if the product failed miserably.

Geeze, I had never even heard of NOD, etc. until around 18-24 months ago, just Nortons, McAfees, PC-Cillin, the major players plus some free ones like AVG, etc.

Once again Carren your post put it in perspective. :cool:

Cheers, TAS

13. snowy

snowy Guest

A person can purchase a computer for under $700 an it will meet most if not all his needs......an usually a restore disc of some kind comes with the pc...............QUESTION: do you think someone will kick out an extra $100 for an anti virus program to protect a $700 computer....add to that another lets say $60 for an anti trojan program.....add another $30 to lets say $50 for a firewall....suddenly thats a $200 outlay to protect $700..........an the person STILL HAS NO ABSOLUTE PROMISE THAT THE COMPUTER IS PROTECTED "FULLY"...........folks thats just plain a bad investment..............its much cheaper for people to use the less expensive software......and the restore disc if needed.
    thats not what people in the security community like to or want to hear but its a downright fact of life......
    mass production at a reasonable price is why many anti virus programs are so numerous.......the average user has no idea what security really is....they seek protection at the cheapest price.......like buying grapes at the super market.............an most software vendors while intelligent...are still in the dark ages when it comes to good business............great products sit on the shelves because the great software vendor knows zip about business

14. snowy

snowy Guest

Final Comment

The modern world has been built on mass production......a BMW or JAG may well be better than a Ford but there are more Fords purchased every year than BMW or Jag..........
    we all know that every software has its "groupies" just as the Rolling Stones has theirs........an while "groupies" may build up the ego of a software vendor....ego trips sell pitifully few products.....an no this is not my personal opinion...its business 099...kindergarden stuff
    you wont see me debate which is the best anti virus program......its a rather dead end street. When the best begins to really compete with the mass...then its a real subject...but until then its going in an endless circle.
    Mcafee is pre-installed....that was a good business move but had little to do with how good/bad the product is...........thats the way it is.......an when the really good software producers pull their heads out of the clouds maybe their products will become just as used as their lesser counter parts...............

15. snowy

snowy Guest

The following is not "ACTUAL"

AVaverage: a new player...cost free..users=100.000 in two years

antiThe Best virus program: an older established product...cost $50....users 10.000 in ten years

question: Who made the greater profit
    answer : The Consumer

AntiThe Best is a much better product...greater in every aspect.........but Mr average Joe bought his kid a new pair of shoes with the $50 an used AVG instead...does Mr average Joe even care if he gets a virus....of course not......he has a restore disc. Now if antiTheBest sold for $15...Mr average Joe could have purchased the program and the new shoes for his kid. But Mr Software Vendor says..oh, but my work is worth $50 not $15....guess what..Mr average Joe could care less.......he has his restore disc and his kid has shoes...he does not need your $50 product

16. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

LOL, well put Snowy :)

Yep, Mr Average just does not care, and let's face it, using the car analogy, a Ford Pulsar will get from A to B in roughly the same time frame as a BMW. You just may cruise in more comfort in a BMW, lol.

Cheers. TAS.

17. snowy

snowy Guest

There is a whole world out there filled with Mr Averages who still see anti virus programs as an ACCESSORY......NOT A NECESSITY. An perhaps the greatest mistake that has been made is the total failure to convince Mr Average otherwise.
    second greatest mistake is the software vendor who has foolishly convinced him/her self that Mr Average needs them.......when in fact its the software vendor who desperately needs Mr Average.....or go bankrupt. the software vendor can produce a product so good that some would consider it a gift from the gods.............an if the software vendor fails to meet Mr Average on his terms.....the software vendor's product will lay uselessly un-used on the shelf.
    Consumers last year were hit by major viruses an both the consumer and the internet survived. That proved to Mr Average THAT HE CAN SURVIVE......an it should have proved to the software vendors that if they want to survive as a business they best re-think and re-plan........sir cam came and went ...klez came and went.........code red came and went..............the consumer was hit and hit hard AN SURVIVED........many without even using anti virus programs......Mr Average just isn't buying that the dooms day virus is coming.......an he is right. Virus will come and viruses will go.....but Mr Average is here to stay........so, whats the great anti virus program of today.....Mr Average with his restore disc.

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Snowy,

Surviving - with costs. The economical damage world wide has been estimated in billions of USD - which could have mainly prevented. DDoS attacks are very common - using quite a lot of zombied systems - personal ones as well. Just a few examples ;). IMHO we haven't seen nothing yet..

regards.

paul

19. snowy

snowy Guest

PAUL

Belive me I could not be in more agreement with you....as would most everybody who has even slight knowledge of computers.
    The problem is Mr AVERAGE is ignorring prevention...personally I would like to see EVERY COMPUTER PROTECTED....but its just not happening. An that effects all...not just the users but the software vendors as well...perhaps the software vendors the most.
    You know as well as I that there are truely good products.......an yet the over-all users of the products is shamefully low..........certainly as a business person I would be the last to denie a vendor the compensation his product is actually worth......but does Mr Average really understand the value of a product?
    Unless there is some major changes made...Mr Average is going to continue to use that ye ole restore disc......

20. Paul Wilders

Snowy,

As a comparison: as soon as cars could be afforted by the "average person", everyone could by a car (T Ford for example) and hit the road. Accidents where bound to happen as more cars where sold. In the end, we ended up with traffic regulations, drivers permissions etc in order to prevent chaos and accidents as much as possible.

IMHO as for pc users, we still are in phase one as mentioned above. In due time phase two will be realized.

regards.

paul

21. snowy

snowy Guest

as a FRIEND to anti virus vendors this statement is made.

Ladies and gents....you have worked hard....you are smart...on the ball.....an being left behind in the dust by crappy software that dims in the light of yours......the one-five man operation is facing a critical time....when those with the dollars are winning the race....and the customers.
    take a hint from wal mart.....sell more at a lesser price...gain your customer base...an not only will you survive but in time you may actually be greater than your present crappy compatition. Stop the petty bickering..you can't afford it....ever seen anyone from mcafee bicker..no, because they are to busy selling products.....

22. snowy

snowy Guest

Paul

sorry, I type slow and you posted as I was.

Again I fully agree.....an again I think most others would.
    Paul, what I foresee is the demiss of many good products...an the consumer left with stink on a pile....an for no other reason than the guys with the bucks could afford to compete in such a way to drive good vendors out of business.........thats the essence of my posts.......
    secondly government regulation....its coming

23. snowy

snowy Guest

Paul

the wording of my second to last post was in no way imply to you...just want to make sure you know that....
    The bickering I refer to is simply ment to say that perhaps as a whole small vendors should join together an financially support advertising of ALL THEIR PRODUCTS....a rather unheard of idea....

24. Paul Wilders

No prob, snowy ;).

A rather unheard idea indeed ;).

regards.

paul

25. snowy

snowy Guest

Paul

bet that idea made you reach for a smoke LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.