Favorite browser - 2013

Discussion in 'polls' started by jo3blac1, Jan 11, 2013.

?

Which is your favorite web browser?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2013.
  1. Internet Explorer

28 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Mozilla Firefox

118 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Google Chrome

72 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. Safari

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. Opera

30 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. Other

32 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

My choice is Sleipnir, as it is the only web browser which does everything I need as standard - no addons are required.

It uses WebKit (Chrome) and Trident (IE) to display web pages. But the engines used are not at all important to me - the only thing that really matters to me is that it does everything I want it to, and no other browser does.

It does all of the following:
    All address entered in the address bar open in a new tab.
    Interface uses only tabs - not like IE which uses tabs as well as separate windows.
    All tabs open in the background.
    You can create your own search shortcuts, e.g. entering t plus a search term in the address bar will do a YouTube search, and you add your own shortcuts.
    Every new tab opens as a new process which gets closed when you close the tab.

At the moment it slightly buggy - e.g. occasionally when I enter an address, it open it the current tab rather than a new one.

I was using mostly Orca before switching to Sleipnir, but it had memory issues - after having opened a very large number of tabs it would often crash. no such problems for Sleipnir as every tab opens a separate process which gets closed as soon as you close the tab - so the memory used gets returned to the system.

There are two things which I do miss however:
    In Orca/Avant and Maxthon your configuration gets saved online, which means you can install the browser on another computer and if you sign into your account your configuration gets download - so you configure the browser to work how you want it on one computer, and then any other computer you run the browser on can use the exact same configuration.

I also miss being able to hide the browser window by pressing Ctrl + `

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

IE 10, fast - stable, and good overall security, and the new enhanced Protected Mode, have definitely given IE a boost in the right direction.

4. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I'm feeling disillusioned with most of the browsers at the moment but the two I use are Firefox and Dragon.

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Firefox - just runs better than any other browser on XP, with my setup anyway. And via extensions & about:config I can really lock it down & customize it just how I like it.

Chrome has much more value on OS's since XP though, due to the handy sandboxing (even individual tabs). And if it could develop a NoScript equivalent I don't think there'd even be much debate for post XP OS's who the top dog was.

6. er34

er34 Guest

I want it clean when I do it for other people.

The point of writing how much keys and things they use is to say that they may be made better. Iron browser can be portable version and doesn't fill in the registry with junk but still works and provides 100% the same functionality as the Chrome variant, but Chrome has tons of registry keys/entries.

7. woomera

woomera Registered Member

im really surprised to see so many FF users here.

8. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

9. Wookieefied

Wookieefied Registered Member

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Using Chrome as default for now. I'm waiting for Waterfox V18 and FF upgrade to see if they are more stable for me. :cool:

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Mozilla Firefox, Cyberfox and Watefox.

Chrome still remains problematic

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  12. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

While I tend to agree, that has been a much debated subject over the years.

Insofar as the subject of favorite 2013 browser, I'm about to upgrade IE9 to IE10, so I'll hold off my vote until then. :doubt:

TS

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Has IE10 been released?

14. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Chrome for me

15. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

yes for windows 8 and a preview for windows 7.

16. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I try or switch browsers from time to time, but I always seem to go back to Firefox.

So, for me...I voted Firefox

17. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

I think I read (somewhere) that MS had stated that a 'final' IE10 is not going to be made available for Win7 (but most who have used the 'preview' say it's mostly bug-free).

TS

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'd like to find that information. That would just be spitting in the faces of millions of Win 7 users and shooting their self in the foot.

Edit: A slightly critical article, but a tiny bit of information resides at the bottom: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Your...-on-Windows-7-Is-a-Waste-of-Time-311799.shtml

"According to sources familiar with the matter, Microsoft plans to release the final build of Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 in a couple of months, but some other people are pointing out that such an app could arrive even before year-end."

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Google Chrome for it's security, stability, speed, and functionality. I've converted from a less stable Firefox, and don't miss any add-ons at all (plenty of alternatives and cross-platform).

20. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Firefox.

Configurability... nothing else comes close.

21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I disagree, in my opinion Orca/Avant, Maxthon and Sleipnir are much more configurable.

22. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Comdo dragon and IE9 both work equally well and both are pretty secure as far as I can tell.

23. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Use Firefox as my default - my other browsers are Mozilla\clones, Palemoon, Icedragon - so all browsers (5) standardised with Adblock Plus and Noscript.

Cheers! :thumb:

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I absolutely love Firefox.:D:thumb:

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Question: If anyone has used the New Maxthon Cloud and Sleipnir, do these browsers support hardware acceleration at all?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.