Favored video download format

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Some browser add-ons allow for download of video as .flv, .mp4, or WebM. Do people here have a preferred format? Why?

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

It's a trade-balance between Video Quality and Size.
    It depends on what you are looking for...
    I am satisfied with .mp4 (most of the time...)

3. guest

guest Guest

Usually .mp4, as pretty much any video player can play it.

4. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I prefer mp4 as I'm a CoreAVC user.

5. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Is it? I've found it to be more semantics than anything else.
    A site will often consider the .mp4 format to be "HQ", even though there isn't a thing HQ about it.

When I want to download something from YouTube, if the choices are .flv, .mp4, and .flv[35], I'll go with .flv[35] every time-- not that that's necessarily any true "HQ" video, either.

Oftentimes, the designation "HQ" for a website video means only that it's in .mp4 format vs. Flash, and perhaps a little larger aspect ratio, yet the actual view quality between them is nil.

A poorly converted, lousy quality, pixelated video is still a poorly converted, lousy quality, pixelated video, regardless of the format it's rendered into or the tag designation it's given.

The opposite it also true-- any .flv video that's been cleanly and properly converted/uploaded/rendered will look every bit as clear and smooth and "HQ" as any other format.

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

There are Size differences, though...aren't there?

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Can I be funny and say my favored download format is .prn :)
    Mrk

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe the size difference relates mainly to resolution - a 720p or 1080p video is going to be a significantly larger file (for a given length of time) than a lower res, such as 480p, because it is displaying more pixels per frame. As already mentioned that's no guarantee that it will actually look better, but all things being equal they often do. The difference is usually obvious when I watch the same video in different resolutions.

10. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If it's something I'm just going to watch on my computer, then I really don't care, as VLC will play them all. But if it's something I want to burn onto a DVDR, then I'd prefer it come in mpeg, or at least avi so I can easily convert it to mpeg.

I've never been a videophile, because I don't even own an HD, LCD TV. I still use a Sony Trinitron CRT because retro consoles (which I still play a lot) look great on it, and I think regular DVD quality looks good on it too. I never thought it was worth the money to upgrade, but now that PS3's are $250 I may just buy one, in which case it'd be time to get the TV to go with it.

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Size is dependant on how well designed the encoder is (how good at compressing and efficient the design is, how well optimised the implementation is), desired bitrate and resolution.

Cheers, Nick

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Bitrate or Resolution, size differences do exist...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.