Favicons, can they be blocked

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by axial, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

axial Registered Member

Is there any way to do a setting in FF that will block favicons, maybe particularly if they come from "3rd party" websites?

As far as I know the favicon is the little icon that displays on the left of the URL string in the browser path. Maybe multiple favicon calls can be embedded in a single webpage? Don't know.

I've recently had NOD32 4.x block images from websites that are (fleetingly) identified as coming from various .cc URLs, each time having the filename "favicon.gif". This has happened at least twice on the GiveAwayOfTheDay website.

Unfortunately the NOD notification dialog is so fast that it's impossible to capture the URL, and there is no log of these web blocks (either of the URL or of the specific page that it was called from) currently available in NOD although such a log is on the list for implementation.

So, is there any way to block favicons completely, maybe through about:config?

Could the hosts file be used to block all .cc addresses, and would that apply to favicons?

Do all browsers display them? It seems like they might be ripe for abuse, as they seem so innocuous but they could be just as compromised as any other malware image.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If you're using AdBlock Plus, you can make your own filter like favicon.ico.
    You could also do that with the SimpleBlock add-on.
    You could also do it with Privoxy, Proxomitron, etc.

For example,
    googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/favicon.ico
    www.blogger.com/favicon.ico
    forum.userstyles.org/themes/default/design/favicon.png
    forum.userstyles.org/favicon.ico
    ubuntuforums.org/favicon.ico
    cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/themes/omgubuntu/favicon.ico
    www.webupd8.org/favicon.ico

If you're good with regex, you could possibly cook up a catch-'em-all filter.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You can also examine about:cache for a list of items (if your version of Fx allows). Save the list to a spreadsheet and then filter for whatever you want. That will not require looking at the log of your AV/FW.

5. RedDawn

RedDawn Registered Member

How to Disable Favicons in Mozilla Firefox:
    -http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/170029-firefox-favicons-disable.html

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Works perfectly! The favicons don't just not display, they aren't downloaded at all as far as I could see. (I checked my Privoxy log and the cache of Firefox: not trace of them).

That said, I'd still prefer blocking them by something which let's me have "exceptions" so that sites I trust can display their favicons.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

More on favicons @ Wikipedia:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.