Fatsquash: SpywareBlaster items become unchecked

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Fatsquash, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatsquash

Fatsquash Registered Member

I cannot get 14 Internet Explorer protection entries to stay 'checked'. Nor can I keep 3 'restricted sites' checked. These are the 'culprits' ... and most of them are 'biggies':

Under the "Protection" section of SpywareBlaster, note the following:

* Internet Explorer Protection *

Cannot keep checkmark in these 14 items:

AdBureau, AdMonitor (2), Advertising.com, Adviva, BFast, BlueMountain, DoubleClick (2), Enliven Ads, FastClick, HitBox, Lop.com, MediaPlex, ValueClick and WebTrends Live.

* Restricted Sites cannot keep checkmarked: *

ITEM NAME ADDRESS

CoolWebSearch (19) 4-counter.com
    DoubleClick doubleclick.com
    Zedo zedo.com

I have these loaded while above 'spammers' were unable to be blocked.

Internet Explore 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2
    Mozilla 1.7.3
    SpyBot S&D 1.3 with TeaTimer up and running all the time
    AdAware 6.0
    SpywareBlaster 3.2
    * I also added PestPatrol with KeyPatrol up and running all the time in another attempt to get rid of the 17 'intruders' (to no avail).

* ALL software has latest updates.

Another thing I noticed was that I could NOT enter these items in the "Internet Explorer/ Options / Security / Restriced Sites" box. I would get a message like 'these sites require a prefix of https//'. The site would NOT be entered regardless of how I tried to enter the name ... even trying to use https//. I would continue to get the same message: 'these sites require a prefix of https//'.

These 'spammers' are among the worse. Such as Lop, Bfast, Zedo. Have they found a way to 'immune' themselves from detection or blocking? I found a few on the 'custom blocking list' you recommended. Could these be added to that list? Or - should I be looking in another area for a permanent resolve to these spammers?

Any info most appreciated.

PS: I also tried the recommendations given here (didn't work for me):

Hi, da bone

You could try [disconnect from Internet first] this Disable all in SWB and then Undo all in SB S&D., reboot.

Then Enable all in SWB and then Immunize all in SB S&D reboot.

And all should be OK.

- end -

1.7 GHz, AMD
    1 GB Ram
    WinXP / SP1 (with a few SP2 updates)
    2 - 200 GB. 7200 RPM Seagate hd's
    Plextor CD Burner
    Plextor DVD Burner
    ATI 9600 AIW
    SoundBlaster Audigy

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Fatsquash,

**Correct me if I'm wrong....but looking at the "14 items" you mention....are not those items what SpywareBlaster describes as Type=cookie ?

If this was my problem and I wanted to use SpywareBlasters spyware/tracking cookie protection....I would un-check the Prevent spyware/tracking cookies selection....then re-check that selection and then select Protect against checked items.

**Concerning your Restricted sites items you can not keep check marked. Please follow the above instructions about un-checking\re-checking....but apply it with SpywareBlasters Restricted Sites protection.

**Concerning your remark....I could NOT enter these items in the "Internet Explorer/ Options / Security / Restriced Sites" box. I would get a message like 'these sites require a prefix of https//'.

Would you Please reverify that. In all my years using IE....I have only seen that associated with entries for the Trusted Zone.

**Please note:
    Due to False Positives by Pest Patrol....many SpywareBlaster users and users of other well known security\privacy programs....have reported similar occurences as yours. Pest Patrol would report a finding and come to find out it was a users legitimate layer of security PP was reporting.

3. Fatsquash

Fatsquash Registered Member

Hey Fatsquash,

**Correct me if I'm wrong....but looking at the "14 items" you mention....are not those items what SpywareBlaster describes as Type=cookie ?

yes, they are.

If this was my problem and I wanted to use SpywareBlasters spyware/tracking cookie protection....I would un-check the Prevent spyware/tracking cookies selection....then re-check that selection and then select Protect against checked items.

Tried that. Don't work. All 14 reappear UNchecked and 'prevent spyware tracking' automatically checkmarks itself.**Concerning your Restricted sites items you can not keep check marked. Please follow the above instructions about un-checking\re-checking....but apply it with SpywareBlasters Restricted Sites protection.

**Concerning your remark....I could NOT enter these items in the "Internet Explorer/ Options / Security / Restriced Sites" box. I would get a message like 'these sites require a prefix of https//'.

Would you Please reverify that. In all my years using IE....I have only seen that associated with entries for the Trusted Zone.

I'm referring to 'restricted zones' in IE security. It will NOT allow me to put ANY address (in any possible wording) when any of those 14 names are anywhere in the address.

Thanks for the info. But I think there is something else going on here. My PRIMARY concern is that these MAJOR spammers have found a way to infect my system and alienate themselves from removal. No spyware, adware, virus detection, etc. locates them ... I've scanned with almost everything available. I've been 'attacked' by them before and it's NO FUN getting rid of their toolbars, popups, etc.. So far, I've not seen any of that. But seeing all those names and having them show up as 'unprotected' makes me seriously nervous. :doubt:

FS

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Concerning the 14 cookie items....I am going to ask you to take a look at only one of them. In Internet Explorer go to Tools\Internet Options\Privacy tab....in the Web Sites section....select Edit. Would you Please find Advertising.com and tell me what it's setting is....Always Block or Always Allow ?

Concerning...."these sites require a prefix of https"....are you or are you not getting that message in regards to the Restricted Zone and if you attempt to add doubleclick.com to the Restricted Zone....what kind of messsage, if any, do you receive ? Exact message Please !

5. lordladeda

lordladeda Registered Member

Hi fatsquash,
    did you resolve the spyblaster (items remain unchecked)problem?exactly the same is happening to me.
    lordladeda

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.